New guy from FL, hello…

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

Doppelganger

Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1
FYI The front fender looks a lot like fire damage, I had a similar situation. Get underneath and check for soot and rust and melted rubber. i replaced my front suspension, one side was heavily burned…if you can source an original used fender that’s your best choice, the Repro I had didn’t fit well and I bought an original for about $100 and refurbished it.
I don’t know that cars history, but focus on brakes first, then getting it running. If it sat more that a few years, sediment, moisture, rust and sludge can clog up brakes, and best to replace top to bottom with new….
Thank you for the helpful advice.

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1 M code 351 4 speed
FYI The front fender looks a lot like fire damage, I had a similar situation. Get underneath and check for soot and rust and melted rubber. i replaced my front suspension, one side was heavily burned…if you can source an original used fender that’s your best choice, the Repro I had didn’t fit well and I bought an original for about $100 and refurbished it.
I don’t know that cars history, but focus on brakes first, then getting it running. If it sat more that a few years, sediment, moisture, rust and sludge can clog up brakes, and best to replace top to bottom with new….
I kept looking at that fender and I could not figure out how it rusted that bad, but you are right it somehow probably got burned. It's a weird place for a car to catch fire though, only thing I can think of is that the caliper got stuck closed and they kept driving it until it caught one fire and the fire got to the tire and there went the fender...

Doppelganger

Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1
You guys are probably spot on. I don’t have much info to go on.

when I ever covet a chance to play, I’ll take more Pics and share my findings.

Sheriff41

Reaction score
My Car
72 Mustang Q-code
When you get to working on your Mach start a post in the Individual Project Build Threads forum. Also some really good references in there from others' projects and builds.

RIBS

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Grabber Blue 302 C4 Convertible
I kept looking at that fender and I could not figure out how it rusted that bad, but you are right it somehow probably got burned. It's a weird place for a car to catch fire though, only thing I can think of is that the caliper got stuck closed and they kept driving it until it caught one fire and the fire got to the tire and there went the fender...
It’s possible something near it caught on fire and fell into it. That’s what happened in the 90’s to the convertible I bought Last year. Still has a scorched valve cover And blistering on the mirror.

Doppelganger

Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1
Hi, sorry for the delayed response. Work and life getting in the way again.

I’m in Gainesville

Bobby

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1
Welcome from League City TX! I gess you can fashion the bundt cake pan into an air filter if the old one doesn't work! With a hammer and a little imagination........