new guy on the block, 73 coupe 351W

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enginewolf

Reaction score
My Car
I have a 1973 mustang coupe hardtop that I picked up in March,2015 it has a 351w from a 1994 ford lightning that has been converted to carburetor. Still alot of work to do to it. Looking for help understanding this old ponny
hello forum, im new here and just thought I'd share my new project, I've had my 1973 mustang coupe for about a month, she has a 94 351w from a ford lightning. The motor has been converted back to carburetor but all the wires are there for fuel Injection. She starts up and runs seemingly fine but has some stuff that needs to be addressed such as none of my guages work, no speedo, fuel or warning lights. Would really like to fix this issue but don't know where to start. Any help would be appreciated thanks.

It has the original guages in the car, came with another set too. I swapped the guages out but still no luck. Im not sure if the original guages will work with my car with the motor swapped or not.

Howdy from Phoenix. Speedo you need to see where the gear driven cable ends up. I am not knowledgeable in later year cars but at some point Ford and everyone else when from mechanical to electrical speed sensors. (Do you have a modern transmission too?)

Gas gauge should no matter. Ground the wire at the sending unit and see if the gauge responds. Don't leave it like this for long, it is bad for the gauge.

::welcome:: from Luxembourg, Europe.

Please remember to post a pin on the member map under "fun stuff" at the top right of the page.

I know it 95 most companies went to electronic speedo, tranny has a speedo cable port on back side of it, I put a new speedo gear on, based on rear end gears and tire size went with a 18 tooth. But still no speedo. Also looking inside the tranny I don't see a gear that drives the speedo. As far as fuel guage I can't seem to get the plug to go onto the fuel sending unit. Not sure if the plug is damaged or the sending unit but it will not connect

Back