New guy

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys. I just got back from the dmv to get her back on the road. Spent Sunday tuning the carb and cleaning the distributor. I'm not a fan of the dizzy. To be honest I'm not even sure what it is. I just know it's vacuum advance and the springs inside are mismatched lol. The PO seemingly butchered this car and pieced it back together. Despite all of this she starts right up and runs fairly well with no hesitation.

Welcome from Western Australia, good job on the quarter panel, I have same model as yours but my quarters look okay so far as I've yet to remove the paint for hidden surprises yet to come!

Welcome from Alaska. I too am new here. And am doing similiar work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello and Welcome from NorCal.

Tulare is a favorite stop on out way down 99.

We stay at La Quinta cause Cool Hand Luke's is in the parking lot.

Did you make it to the swap meet in Turlock last weekend?

Hello and Welcome from NorCal.

Tulare is a favorite stop on out way down 99.

We stay at La Quinta cause Cool Hand Luke's is in the parking lot.

Did you make it to the swap meet in Turlock last weekend?

Cool Hand Luke is delicious. Unfortunately I didn't get to go up there. My gf and I took her kids to the snow. I'll be going to the Selma swap meet for sure though.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. I just got back from the dmv to get her back on the road. Spent Sunday tuning the carb and cleaning the distributor. I'm not a fan of the dizzy. To be honest I'm not even sure what it is. I just know it's vacuum advance and the springs inside are mismatched lol. The PO seemingly butchered this car and pieced it back together. Despite all of this she starts right up and runs fairly well with no hesitation.
If it's a Motorcraft dizzy, factory in other words, the springs are supposed to be different with 1 strong spring that will be just a bit loose and 1 lighter spring that will have tension on it. Lots of posts on timing and even more "discussion" on the subject. The search button at the top right is a great tool to find things out. I found this website useful, www.bob2000.com/dist.htm . There is a great post from 72HCODE just yesterday where he describes timing so even an idiot can do it. (Not saying you are an idiot though!!) I'll check that post and edit this.

Good luck with it and have fun,

Geoff.

Found it! PORTED VACUUM by timsweet page 2 & 3. A great read from 72HCODE. covers mechanical timing and vacuum advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's a Motorcraft dizzy, factory in other words, the springs are supposed to be different with 1 strong spring that will be just a bit loose and 1 lighter spring that will have tension on it. Lots of posts on timing and even more "discussion" on the subject. The search button at the top right is a great tool to find things out. I found this website useful, www.bob2000.com/dist.htm . There is a great post from 72HCODE just yesterday where he describes timing so even an idiot can do it. (Not saying you are an idiot though!!) I'll check that post and edit this.

Good luck with it and have fun,

Geoff.

Found it! PORTED VACUUM by timsweet page 2 & 3. A great read from 72HCODE. covers mechanical timing and vacuum advance.
Those were really good read. I think I'm going to try full manifold vacuum and see if the engine likes it. Thanks for the links.

Back