New guy

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atlas1121

Reaction score
My Car
Looking for a 1971-1973 Mustang
Hi all,

New guy located in Skokie, IL here. The 1971-1973 Mustangs have always been my favorite cars since I was a little boy. A guy across the street from where I grew up in Chicago had a yellow (looked orange to me) 1972 Mach 1 and I fell in love with it. He sold it when I was around 17 or 18 but I didn't have the cash for it. A few years later I was able to get a bright red 1972 convertible with black top, basic black interior, dog dish hubcaps, Mach 1 hood, auto trans and 351C engine. Unfortunately, the frame rotted away at the steering gearbox and I couldn't afford to fix it. I had to sell it around 1998.

I now have a 4-year-old son who loves cars and we've been hitting all the shows and cruise nights we can this summer. I absolutely need to get my hands on another 1971-1973 Mustang to work on and enjoy with him. I was at a car show earlier today speaking with a cool guy who had a beautiful lime Boss 351. He told me about this website and here I am! I look forward to learning more about these awesome cars and eventually getting another one!

-Roy

Hi all,

New guy located in Skokie, IL here. The 1971-1973 Mustangs have always been my favorite cars since I was a little boy. A guy across the street from where I grew up in Chicago had a yellow (looked orange to me) 1972 Mach 1 and I fell in love with it. He sold it when I was around 17 or 18 but I didn't have the cash for it. A few years later I was able to get a bright red 1972 convertible with black top, basic black interior, dog dish hubcaps, Mach 1 hood, auto trans and 351C engine. Unfortunately, the frame rotted away at the steering gearbox and I couldn't afford to fix it. I had to sell it around 1998.

I now have a 4-year-old son who loves cars and we've been hitting all the shows and cruise nights we can this summer. I absolutely need to get my hands on another 1971-1973 Mustang to work on and enjoy with him. I was at a car show earlier today speaking with a cool guy who had a beautiful lime Boss 351. He told me about this website and here I am! I look forward to learning more about these awesome cars and eventually getting another one!

-Roy
Hey Roy ... Al here in UK ... there's a bunch of real helpful beer drinking gear heads in here happy to help.... including me...welcome ::thumb::

Welcome from a fellow Chicagoan! Glad you joined and good luck on your search.

Welcome from SW Ontario, Canada. 

There are loads of very knowledgeable, helpful guys on this Forum. You picked the right one to join imo.

Before you buy, decide exactly what you want, what you want to pay initially, what your budget is going forward, then ask the guys here for opinions

By doing that, you'll hopefully not end up with a pile of "surprises", but a great car for you and your son.

Geoff.

Welcome from Ohio. The most important thing is spending time with your son regardless of how you do it. That being said, what a better way to do that than restoring a classic Mustang.

As already mentioned above, there tons of info and help here. Good luck on your search.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all for the warm welcome!

I'll definitely be on a budget, so no concours Boss 351 for me anytime soon. I'm leaning towards a Mach 1 this time. These cars look good in so many colors, but I'll be extra happy if I can find my favorite medium blue/argent combo. 302 or 351C will do just fine. I've got plenty of time to learn more and do my research, it'll take several years to save up a nice chunk of change. I'll also need to fix my garage and invest in some tools. It'll be a fun journey and well worth the end result.

Back