New headers

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefabg123321

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Q Code vert
recently rebuilt my 1972 Q code and added Doug Thorley long tube headers which were NOT ceramic coated. I am getting very hot while driving this car !! Too hot!! Steering column is radiating heat.....

Im pretty sure I should have gotten these puppies ceramic coated!! Will this help with the heat build up in the drivers compartment? And can i still get these used Thorley headers coated ? Or does the header need to be new? Or should I go back to standard intake manifold to make the car more comfortable?

Thanks, Adam

(more info...When I had the engine rebuilt both intake manifolds were cracked. So I chose to replace with headers as opposed to stock set up, even though I just use car to cruise)

You can pull the headers and have them coated. I purchased mine without a coating so I could have them done locally. The applied Cerakote on the exterior and applied insulkote on the inside of the headers. No heat issues at all. Actually cooler under the hood than when I was running the stock exhaust manifolds.

When I first installed my ceramic headers my feet would still cook. What I ended up doing was putting down Eastwoods heat and sound barrier in the car. Its the silver padding with sticky back. I put it up the firewall and all over the floor. Worked wonders. Cut the heat in the cabin down considerably.

Seramic coating is done under any number of names. The local place I use is Nitroplate. Jet hot is another you may have heard. They work to a degree (pun intended) but still radiate off some heat.

When I did my headers, they went on the car first, then came off for Nitroplating after a few thousand miles.

No matter what the advertised fitment with headers, sometimes a tube needs to be dimpled or tweaked. and the header companies ceramic coating is sometimes not as good as the aftermarket coatings.

I agree that some heat reflective insulation is also a good idea, but the level of heat you are describing is worrisome. I would take an infrared thermometer and measure the temperature at you headers in several places. I'd also verify timing settings and that you aren't running lean.

Back