New ignition system with MSG on my 1971 J Code, 429 SCJ

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Ford Mustang Mach 1, 429 Super Cobra Jet, 4.11, Detroit Locker
Installed a new ignition system with MSD distributor and coil on my 1971 J Code, 429 SCJ.
You can hear the solid-lifters singing happily.

Attachments

• Mach 1 1971 Mach 1 J Code with MSG ignition.MOV
    25.7 MB
Last edited:
Did you mean MSD? MSG is an Asian cuisine thing.
Good catch. It looks like the re-redit has been performed...

When we purchased our 1973 Mach 1 the original 302 2v engine had been replaced with a 1994 F-150 351W with 1969 351W 4V heads. The 351W engine was rebuilt with street/strip performance components to a moderate level (360HP at the crankshaft). Plenty of power for spirited performance, especially with its 3.5:1 TractionLok rear axle gear set, and 4 speed AOD tranny. It also has an MSD distributor and electronic ignition system. I replaced the 6A Control Module with a 6AL only to get theRev Limiter feature. It is so easy to go past 6,000 RPM, and I preferred to stay under 6,000RPM, no need to wind it tighter than that. In general, for street use if a vintage ignition is already on an engine I tend to leave well enough alone, and the old school points and condenser system, when set up correctly, does a fine job of handling the ignition needs of the engine. Were I to be revving past 6,000 RPM I would no doubt be getting into the real of "point bounce" and inadequate electro-magnetic flux saturation of the ignition coil unless I were to increase the dwell time of the points (and risk other issues coming up). At RPMs at that level it makes good sense to use an electronic ignition solution, although we begin to run into other non-ignition related limitations (head valve float for one).

Anyway, congrats on getting your MSD system installed. I did download the .MOV file of the 429 running. What a hellaciously beautiful sound!

Back