New look for the Magnum 500

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luxstang

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertible
As some of you may remember my Magnum 500 were in really bad shape and I had already painted them matte black. 

But as always it wasn't good enough for me plus the spray paint started flaking so I had the media blasted and powder coated. Instead of the fällst black I went with a dark gray with a slight bluish tint so that they would look less "I spray painted them myself" but more like they came like that trombone the factory. 

I kinda liked the finished product until I put them on the car. I dunno.... 

what's your verdict on this?

IMG_7991.JPG

To totally sidetrack this...

Every time I see chrome and paint magnum 500's I think of Buick Riveras. Anybody else? I don't know if I have the timeline correct but I always think of the magnums as a rip off of the Buick wheels.

Peter

Better than the black but, still a little bland for my taste. Center caps may help. Chuck

Yeah, center caps.....

problem is I only have three as one decided to take its future in its own hands and just up and left the rest of us a few years ago while driving at about 80 mph. We've never heard of it since.

:)

Oh, funny thing is I never missed the center caps when the rims were black. Maybe because the hole was less obvious on the black? I dunno.

I've also wondered if maybe this paint is too shiny.

And I wondered if painting the triangles flat black like they were originally only on the gray instead of the chrome would make a difference. It would not be much contrast but it might break up the look a little. I dunno.

Maybe I'll just get used to it. :)

I ain't gonna lie - I like it better with your 'normal' wheels.  I think what's missing for me is the bright ring around the outside of the rim, separating the tire from the rim.

But, the powder coating looks great!  Nice Job!   ::thumb::

Back