New Member - '73 Q-code in Michigan

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SalmonTex

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1
Bright Red
Hello all. I have been surfing the forum for about a year, since I first gained possession of the Mustang, but decided it was time to formally introduce myself and car.

History of the car:

My dad purchased the car in 1980 at the age of 18, and was the second owner. It has ~55K original miles. My dad was a big a big gearhead and drag racer. The car is technically a Q-code, though in his naive youth had many of the original engine components swapped out for higher performance aftermarket pieces to make it faster (300 mm rear tires, aggressive cam, 1050 CFM carb, Edlebrock intake manifold, etc.). Some of the original parts were kept, but not enough to simply return it to factory condition (I've already put the factory hood back on for example).

The car has been in some sort of storage since the mid 80's--it didn't work out so well as a family vehicle, and my dad loved the car enough to keep it but wasn't too brazen about it as he was starting what turned out to be a 30-year career with GM. So while I've been raised a fan of the General, I appreciate and respect American Muscle first and am excited to complete the restoration of the Mustang. It's in decent shape and has minimal rust.

I have been slowly chipping away at the car for the past year, mostly trying to get the modified engine running as is. I've replaced fuel lines, fuel pump, tires, spark plugs and wires, and given the car a thorough cleaning (Including multiple rodent nests).

I am currently still struggling to get the engine to fire up for more than a few seconds, tracing back a fuel supply problem.

Plans for the Car:

My plans are to do a resto-mod. I am planning to keep the car as factory original as possible, while shooting for an engine that produces something in the 350-400 hp range. Being new to muscle car restoration and the Mustang in general, I have been intrigued by this Boss 351 recreation article and looking further into what it would take to achieve.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/engine/mump-1001-boss-351-block-buildup/

I like the idea doing a Boss 351 clone engine to incorporate more Ford heritage, but would not try to fool anyone on the exterior.

2zthzqa.jpg

33418ab.jpg

2ms4tg2.jpg

5ajq83.jpg

2jb037p.jpg

v99ox.jpg

2953eyr.jpg

Welcome from Virginia. Glad you decided to introduce yourself. It's great your father had the foresight to save the car. Keep the pics and updates coming.

Welcome from Mustang, Oklahoma. You have a great car to start with. Chuck

Welcome from NC. You going to keep the high rise hood scoop?

Welcome from NC. You going to keep the high rise hood scoop?
No, do you want it? I've considered trying to sell it on eBay or the like, but am unsure if it's worth the effort. I will most likely just scrap it. I've already put the stock hood back on--luckily my dad saved it.

Great car! Great to have another '73 to watch the progress of. Good choice ditching the hood scoop.

Welcome from just across town! That looks like a great project and a cool family legacy.

Send me a PM, I'd love to meet up sometime
I've seen a couple 71-73's during the 28th street metro cruise, and even someone go down my street in a white one very similar to yours. I am hopeful to get it in driving condition by the end of this year.

Any local shops that you recommend for engine/body work? I'm not to the point that I'm ready for paint yet but would like to start getting quotes. And I've been struggling with getting the original engine running for the past year that I'm about ready to take it somewhere for a proper rebuild.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome from just across town! That looks like a great project and a cool family legacy.

I've seen a couple 71-73's during the 28th street metro cruise, and even someone go down my street in a white one very similar to yours. I am hopeful to get it in driving condition by the end of this year.

Any local shops that you recommend for engine/body work? I'm not to the point that I'm ready for paint yet but would like to start getting quotes. And I've been struggling with getting the original engine running for the past year that I'm about ready to take it somewhere for a proper rebuild.
I cruise at the "cruise", no lawnchairs in parking lots. It's too much fun driving. If you need a hand or an opinion, let me know.

There's only 1 engine shop in town I'd recommend. Go see Casey at CD's in Hudsonville. He'll do it right. What are the issues with getting it running?

Welcome from West Virginia!

I cruise at the "cruise", no lawnchairs in parking lots. It's too much fun driving. If you need a hand or an opinion, let me know.

There's only 1 engine shop in town I'd recommend. Go see Casey at CD's in Hudsonville. He'll do it right. What are the issues with getting it running?
Cool thanks. I will certainly keep you in mind if I need anything. Never heard of that shop, but I'll give them a call.

I see you did a T5 conversion. How was that? It's something I've considered as I would love for this car to be a manual trans.

My dad drag raced the car and had a high pressure electric fuel pump and a 1050 CFM double pumper carb on it. We were unable to get more than a few seconds of fire up out of it so I started with swapping out the pump for a mechanical unit as my dad thought the pump might have been pushing too much fuel and flooding the engine. Since doing so, I am unable to get fuel to the carb, even though it was getting there with the electric pump.

Last edited by a moderator:
Car looks great!

Welcome from SE Michigan..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back