New member from Illinois

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Last930

Reaction score
My Car
'71 Mach 1 project car
My 13 year old son and I have recently acquired a 1971 Mach 1 project car. All metal work done, mediocre paint, some interior work done. Will need lots of work, but have 3 years to do it! Plan is to make it a mild custom styled after road racers

Of that era. Got two engines with the car - both 351C 's; one is original in pieces, the other (in car now) is supposedly a '69 Cougar engine. Has Fmx trans, open to swapping for stick or?. Would like 400 plus horsepower, but goal is to be streetable. Will need new hood; probably convert to Ram Air. Has drum brakes now, would like at least front disk brakes.

We're located in the Chicago suburbs. We'll do some of the work ourselves, but will need to farm out some also.

Any direction as to parts sources, local service expertise, etc will be much apprciated!

Gold Rush

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
73 Qcode mach1

WelCome from sunny central Florida. Hope you enjoy the forum and all the Mustang fanatic, s....

Last edited by a moderator:

Mustang Dynasty

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
72 Mustang Convertible Modified Spec White(ext) Black Pwr Tp/Int Frt Pwr Disc Brks 351 Clevelandw/Ram Air/2 BBL Manifold/Holly EFI & Hurst (wde ratio) 4-spd/429 or 351 Ford Toploader Trans/3.5 rear axle ratio Mach 1/racing mod suspension [email protected] sec Magnum 500 (frt 7" & rear 8") wheels modified w/71-73 accessories (all original mustang parts)
My 13 year old son and I have recently acquired a 1971 Mach 1 project car. All metal work done, mediocre paint, some interior work done. Will need lots of work, but have 3 years to do it! Plan is to make it a mild custom styled after road racers

Of that era. Got two engines with the car - both 351C 's; one is original in pieces, the other (in car now) is supposedly a '69 Cougar engine. Has Fmx trans, open to swapping for stick or?. Would like 400 plus horsepower, but goal is to be streetable. Will need new hood; probably convert to Ram Air. Has drum brakes now, would like at least front disk brakes.

We're located in the Chicago suburbs. We'll do some of the work ourselves, but will need to farm out some also.

Any direction as to parts sources, local service expertise, etc will be much apprciated!
::welcome::w/my experience w/the NASA hood, might want to look at a fiber glass one as the stock hinges not strong enough to last very long for the xtra weight. Or @ $800 for a billet set, or if one from a truck hood that might fit.? Ps, Virginia Classic Mustang Auto Parts has a phone number, something like Blue Ridge Mustang....that has a large salvage yard with 71-3 mustangs-Ohio Mustang had a lot at one time, too.

whitesoc

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Convertible

08 Bullet
Welcome to the forum from Ontario Canada.....Don at OMS can hook you up for a lot things parts wise plus take a look at the forum classifieds.

Mustang Dynasty

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
72 Mustang Convertible Modified Spec White(ext) Black Pwr Tp/Int Frt Pwr Disc Brks 351 Clevelandw/Ram Air/2 BBL Manifold/Holly EFI & Hurst (wde ratio) 4-spd/429 or 351 Ford Toploader Trans/3.5 rear axle ratio Mach 1/racing mod suspension [email protected] sec Magnum 500 (frt 7" & rear 8") wheels modified w/71-73 accessories (all original mustang parts)

PSS, mine is a 400 horse pounder but it took a lot of good money after bad of which in any case I would have should have gone w/the 2 1/2 inch from the Hooker Headers through the x-pipe and muffler. Then whatever size re: 2 1/4 inch will not matter, still get all the 'no back pressure' performance and fuel efficiency for your 400 hp and the easiest way would be w/2 four bangers into a 3.27 rear axle or spending the more for a 5 speed then you can add a 3.5 rear and still see decent mpg. see my COTM March for next year or my photo album for my going to an R-code from a Q then a 9.5 compression to a 700cfm EFI to 2 barrel intake manifold to keep high torque at low speeds, thennnnnn w/my 4 speed, a Gear Vendors Overdrive to deliver 1900 rpms at 55mph cruising. Whatever you do,if you opt for EFI later, look into a tank that has baffles in it.

Mustang Dynasty

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car

Mustang Masters above St Augustine fl has a lot re: mustangmasters.com

Go Time

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1
1976 Ford F150 4X4
1994 Caprice Wagon LT1
2004 Ford Focus ZX5
Welcome from Indiana

OMS

Vendors
Reaction score
My Car
xxx
Welcome from Ohio

Don

I have the parts :p

Last edited by a moderator:

OLE PONY

VIP Members
Staff member
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Conv.
01 Mustang Bullitt (my son owns now)
04 Oxford White Mach 1
04 Azure Blue Mach 1 (sold)
Welcome to the site from Virginia. Sounds like a great project for you and your son.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Don65Stang

Super Mods
Reaction score
My Car
Several.
Welcome from coastal Alabama! Be sure to add a pin to our member map under the Fun Stuff tab at the top of the page.

caspianwendell

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
1971 mustang convertible
1974 Z28 camaro
1963 chevy C10
1999 F150 lariat 4X4
Welcome from Arkansas

Status
Not open for further replies.