New member from Illinois

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Last930

Reaction score
My Car
'71 Mach 1 project car
My 13 year old son and I have recently acquired a 1971 Mach 1 project car. All metal work done, mediocre paint, some interior work done. Will need lots of work, but have 3 years to do it! Plan is to make it a mild custom styled after road racers

Of that era. Got two engines with the car - both 351C 's; one is original in pieces, the other (in car now) is supposedly a '69 Cougar engine. Has Fmx trans, open to swapping for stick or?. Would like 400 plus horsepower, but goal is to be streetable. Will need new hood; probably convert to Ram Air. Has drum brakes now, would like at least front disk brakes.

We're located in the Chicago suburbs. We'll do some of the work ourselves, but will need to farm out some also.

Any direction as to parts sources, local service expertise, etc will be much apprciated!

My 13 year old son and I have recently acquired a 1971 Mach 1 project car. All metal work done, mediocre paint, some interior work done. Will need lots of work, but have 3 years to do it! Plan is to make it a mild custom styled after road racers

Of that era. Got two engines with the car - both 351C 's; one is original in pieces, the other (in car now) is supposedly a '69 Cougar engine. Has Fmx trans, open to swapping for stick or?. Would like 400 plus horsepower, but goal is to be streetable. Will need new hood; probably convert to Ram Air. Has drum brakes now, would like at least front disk brakes.

We're located in the Chicago suburbs. We'll do some of the work ourselves, but will need to farm out some also.

Any direction as to parts sources, local service expertise, etc will be much apprciated!
::welcome::w/my experience w/the NASA hood, might want to look at a fiber glass one as the stock hinges not strong enough to last very long for the xtra weight. Or @ $800 for a billet set, or if one from a truck hood that might fit.? Ps, Virginia Classic Mustang Auto Parts has a phone number, something like Blue Ridge Mustang....that has a large salvage yard with 71-3 mustangs-Ohio Mustang had a lot at one time, too.

PSS, mine is a 400 horse pounder but it took a lot of good money after bad of which in any case I would have should have gone w/the 2 1/2 inch from the Hooker Headers through the x-pipe and muffler. Then whatever size re: 2 1/4 inch will not matter, still get all the 'no back pressure' performance and fuel efficiency for your 400 hp and the easiest way would be w/2 four bangers into a 3.27 rear axle or spending the more for a 5 speed then you can add a 3.5 rear and still see decent mpg. see my COTM March for next year or my photo album for my going to an R-code from a Q then a 9.5 compression to a 700cfm EFI to 2 barrel intake manifold to keep high torque at low speeds, thennnnnn w/my 4 speed, a Gear Vendors Overdrive to deliver 1900 rpms at 55mph cruising. Whatever you do,if you opt for EFI later, look into a tank that has baffles in it.

Mustang Masters above St Augustine fl has a lot re: mustangmasters.com

Welcome from Ohio

Don

I have the parts :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the site from Virginia. Sounds like a great project for you and your son.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Welcome from coastal Alabama! Be sure to add a pin to our member map under the Fun Stuff tab at the top of the page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back