New Member Here

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fastback Frame-73 Interior 021.jpgThanks to all of you who have taken the time to Welcome me to your site. I feel really good about being here. A couple of you have mentioned that you would hope I would share some of my experience with you as well as parts. God has given the ability to build some pretty good engines and has helped me learn what I know over the years. I would be more than happy to help anyone I can. I do almost everything except transmissions. I just have not taken the time to learn to build them. I do know of some pretty cool tricks you can do with them and am getting ready to put one of those to the test in my 460 powered C-6 73 Mach 1. I will keep you posted about the special low and second gear set up I mentioned before.

I have been building Holley Carbs for about as long as I have been building engines. Roughly about 46 years. Oh, by the way, today, June 20th is my 62 Birthday.

I have been building rear ends for almost as long but not quite. I know formulas to help you pick out the correct Stall Converter for the Cam you want to run and the Rear End Gears too. You don't have to guess and try one just to replace it with something else. I can tell you what you need and be on the money about 95 % of the time. There are unknown factors but I get pretty close. So I will help you and when I need someone to tell me how to get the Factory Tach in my car to work with my Crane Hi 6 ignition box I hope someone can explain to me what I need to do.

Another member mentioned to me in a PM that a 460 in a 73 Ought to be fun so I replied with a little info on the set up. I will post it here.

I used to have a pretty hot engine in my 73. It was still a streetable setup but pretty strong. .030 460 with Arias Flat Tops, DOVE-C Ported Heads. Studs and plates of course. .605 Solid Flat Tappet Comp Cams Cam with 248 duration at .050 lift. Hooker Competition Headers, Crane Gold Roller Rockers, Old Nascar 351 Distributor with Magnetic MSD pick up, Crane Ignition Box and Race Coil producing about 480 to 500 MA at the plugs, Blue Thunder 2x4 intake with 2 660 Center Squirters, C-6 with TCI Super Street Fighter Torque Converter 3,200 stall, B&M Shift Kit, Nodular Iron Third Member with 5:14 Gears and Full Spool with 31 Spline Axles. Car weighed over 4,000 pounds and with 28 x 10.5 M/T Slicks hit 7.50 in the 1/8 with a 1.6 sec 60 foot time. When I pulled up on the Scales at the Drag Strip the guy weighing the car said wow man, what have you got under the hood? Your front end weighs over 2,200 lbs. I just said it is All Big Block Iron Parts. But, this go round it will be milder and I putting on a lot of Aluminum. Also had full exhaust too and interior with 6 point Roll Bar. Exhaust was 3 inch pipes to the Flowmaster Orig 40 series 3 inch Mufflers and 3 inch Mandrel Bent Flowmaster Pipes over the axle and out the back. I drove this car on the street for over 20 years with the 2x4s and the 5:14 gears all over the place and I took it down Interstate 85 about 20 to 30 Miles from Gastonia to Charlotte and the Charlotte Auto Fair at the Speedway a few times. Do I need to tell you what 600 HP sounds like coming from a 3 inch Flowmaster Exhaust System turning about 4,700 RPMs down the interstate? Great isn't quite enough when trying to describe it. Mike.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the site from West Texas. :cool:

Wow, that's a sharp-lookin' car! I love the color combination (as long as there are no Dallas Cowboys emblems anywhere... ;) rofl ).

Happy Birthday! ::thumb::

Thanks to all of you who have taken the time to Welcome me to your site. I feel really good about being here. A couple of you have mentioned that you would hope I would share some of my experience with you as well as parts. God has given the ability to build some pretty good engines and has helped me learn what I know over the years. I would be more than happy to help anyone I can. I do almost everything except transmissions. I just have not taken the time to learn to build them. I do know of some pretty cool tricks you can do with them and am getting ready to put one of those to the test in my 460 powered C-6 73 Mach 1. I will keep you posted about the special low and second gear set up I mentioned before.

I have been building Holley Carbs for about as long as I have been building engines. Roughly about 46 years. Oh, by the way, today, June 20th is my 62 Birthday.

I have been building rear ends for almost as long but not quite. I know formulas to help you pick out the correct Stall Converter for the Cam you want to run and the Rear End Gears too. You don't have to guess and try one just to replace it with something else. I can tell you what you need and be on the money about 95 % of the time. There are unknown factors but I get pretty close. So I will help you and when I need someone to tell me how to get the Factory Tach in my car to work with my Crane Hi 6 ignition box I hope someone can explain to me what I need to do.

Another member mentioned to me in a PM that a 460 in a 73 Ought to be fun so I replied with a little info on the set up. I will post it here.

I used to have a pretty hot engine in my 73. It was still a streetable setup but pretty strong. .030 460 with Arias Flat Tops, DOVE-C Ported Heads. Studs and plates of course. .605 Solid Flat Tappet Comp Cams Cam with 248 duration at .050 lift. Hooker Competition Headers, Crane Gold Roller Rockers, Old Nascar 351 Distributor with Magnetic MSD pick up, Crane Ignition Box and Race Coil producing about 480 to 500 MA at the plugs, Blue Thunder 2x4 intake with 2 660 Center Squirters, C-6 with TCI Super Street Fighter Torque Converter 3,200 stall, B&M Shift Kit, Nodular Iron Third Member with 5:14 Gears and Full Spool with 31 Spline Axles. Car weighed over 4,000 pounds and with 28 x 10.5 M/T Slicks hit 7.50 in the 1/8 with a 1.6 sec 60 foot time. When I pulled up on the Scales at the Drag Strip the guy weighing the car said wow man, what have you got under the hood? Your front end weighs over 2,200 lbs. I just said it is All Big Block Iron Parts. But, this go round it will be milder and I putting on a lot of Aluminum. Also had full exhaust too and interior with 6 point Roll Bar. Exhaust was 3 inch pipes to the Flowmaster Orig 40 series 3 inch Mufflers and 3 inch Mandrel Bent Flowmaster Pipes over the axle and out the back. I drove this car on the street for over 20 years with the 2x4s and the 5:14 gears all over the place and I took it down Interstate 85 about 20 to 30 Miles from Gastonia to Charlotte and the Charlotte Auto Fair at the Speedway a few times. Do I need to tell you what 600 HP sounds like coming from a 3 inch Flowmaster Exhaust System turning about 4,700 RPMs down the interstate? Great isn't quite enough when trying to describing it. Mike.
Dude, beautiful car big time. How can I get a hold of you if you don't mind? My # is XXX-XXX-XXXX Scott

image.jpegHand made grille from aluminum. Came out pretty nice. Now----black or billet aluminum?

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome from W. TN. It is great to hear about all of the great cars you have had over the years and to hear and see the great ones you still have. Your experience and knowledge will be great to have on the site and we definitely appreciate and welcome anything you can add and contribute to. I hope that you see we are a very family friendly group that respects each members contributions and feedback. Also, Happy Belated Birthday. You are now in the prime of life to enjoy all of the knowledge and experience you have gained over the years.

I would love to do a roots supercharged 351 pro-street 71-72 in the near future. Looking for a reasonable body to start with to back half and tub. I plan to keep you contact information handy to get some pointers in the future. Again, Welcome!

Welcome from W. TN. It is great to hear about all of the great cars you have had over the years and to hear and see the great ones you still have. Your experience and knowledge will be great to have on the site and we definitely appreciate and welcome anything you can add and contribute to. I hope that you see we are a very family friendly group that respects each members contributions and feedback. Also, Happy Belated Birthday. You are now in the prime of life to enjoy all of the knowledge and experience you have gained over the years.

I would love to do a roots supercharged 351 pro-street 71-72 in the near future. Looking for a reasonable body to start with to back half and tub. I plan to keep you contact information handy to get some pointers in the future. Again, Welcome!
Thanks BK. Let me know when. Mike.

Back