New member starting a BARN FIND BUILD

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwmustangman

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 Q code 4 Speed barn find
[url=https://ibb.co/bKrJsxH][img]https://i.ibb.co/DR7p9NG/1st-light-of-day-in-40-yrs.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=https://imgbb.com/]imageupload[/url]
Hello all. I've recently joint your ranks. I have had countless Fords of all shapes and sizes, including a few Mustang II and newer V8 mustangs, but never a "classic" mustang (64.5-73) While me and the rest of the world would love to have that early fastback, they can't be touched; at least not with my budget. haha I have seen pics of a red and black 73 my dad had and ended up selling a few months before I was born in the early 80s. I figured since I can't have an early fastback, I'd love to have a "big bodied" Mach 1. Long story short, I finally acquired one. I picked up a 1973 Mach 1 Q code with a 4 speed. It's even blue with black trim and interior: my favorite. I'm the 3rd owner. The previous owner bought it in 1976 and only drove it for 4 years. The clutch went out in 1980. It was parked in the garage and forgotten; for almost 40 years. Of course the tires are all flat, but all 4 did roll up onto the rollback. The motor will turn by hand, so its not stuck. Its all original and unmolested. Since it was inside a garage and not out in the weather, most of the things that are usually rotten on these cars is surprisingly solid. The floors, trunk area, torque boxes, frame rails, cowl area, etc are all very solid. nothing more than a bit of surface rust on any of those. The only real rust to speak of is about a fist sized hole behind the right rear wheel. I'm working on getting the title transferred over right now. Once I get it in my name I'll feel a little better about spending money on it. It's currently still on my trailer backed into my garage. Turns out the title from 1976 is so old it has been "purged" from the electronic records. We are working to get everything back in the registration system so I can get it in my name. I'm in contact with the previous owner and he is willing to do whatever is necessary to get it squared away. As soon as I get it in my name, I'm going to order a full marti report on her. I'm looking forward to the project and I'll be asking you veterans lots of questions I'm sure. I"m going to try to add a few pics to the post if it will let me. Thanks for letting me join! 

Welcome... nice find looks solid.

Once you start to work on it, save all parts you take off, as there are many thing not being made for the 71-3's

Welcome !! You will be fine with that car - will probably "clean" up pretty easily AND it doesn't look like it needs to BE PAINTED first !

My guess is it will respond to buffing pretty well -that will allow you to concentrate on the fluids and get running for a further assessment.

Spend some time UNDER the car on the clutch . Previous owner maybe calling CLUTCH OUT not due to disc ware , but from Zbar issues (not allowing to shift) . I would watch the linkage action and IF it isn't working fix that first. OR IF IT IS working (but not actuating) see if the disc is stuck to the flywheel!! MY FAVORITE "way to purchase a manual car"! (have freed up over 3 without removing trans)

Good for you Mark

Welcome from CT!

Excellent find. With the 4 speed and the A- code 3.50:1 Trac-loc rear axle, you should have 31 spline axles, the 1330 u-joints and possibly an N-case rear end. It's about the best of the best in '73.

Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Welcome !!  You will be fine with that car - will probably "clean" up pretty easily AND it doesn't look like it needs to BE PAINTED first !

My guess is it will respond to buffing pretty well -that will allow you to concentrate on the fluids and get running for a further assessment.    

Spend some time UNDER the car on the clutch .  Previous owner  maybe calling CLUTCH OUT not due to disc ware , but from Zbar issues (not allowing to shift) .    I would watch the linkage action and IF it isn't working fix that first.  OR IF IT IS working (but not actuating) see if the disc is stuck to the flywheel!!   MY FAVORITE "way to purchase a manual car"!   (have freed up over 3 without removing trans)

Good for you Mark
Great info! I'll definitely look into this! Thanks!

Welcome from CT!

Excellent find. With the 4 speed and the A- code 3.50:1 Trac-loc rear axle, you should have 31 spline axles, the 1330 u-joints and possibly an N-case rear end. It's about the best of the best in '73.

Thanks! When I looked up the "A" axle code I thought it said 3.50:1 open rear. Am I missing something? I'd love for it to be the Trac-loc...

Welcome from CT!

Thanks! When I looked up the "A" axle code I thought it said 3.50:1 open rear. Am I missing something? I'd love for it to be the Trac-loc...
Ooops. my bad. The A is an open, but the 31 spline goodies should still apply.

Welcome from Oklahoma. It looks like you have a solid starting point as well as a great color. Chuck

Welcome from North Carolina.

I am a huge fan of original cars. I just pulled my 73 Mach 1 out of barn after 37 years on dirt floor. It is now in the Mustang Owner's Museum in Charlotte, NC.

It has not been washed with running water in 37 years and suggest you do not wash or pressure wash this one. Reason is that the inside of the cowl, doors and quarters are not painted. The cars were not dipped in primer then only spray and where the spray did not reach is bare steel. Water only feeds the rust. Simply use water and some dawn and wipe with micro fiber towels. Also do not buff with a buffer only by hand. Buffer takes too much off. I only used #7 mirror glaze on mine for the results you see.

I took the whole car part cleaned and detailed and put back in 10 weeks and you see the results. The mice will have filled your heater box up so you will need to pull dash and get heater out and once you have all their hotels removed run an ozone generator to remove any odor from the car.

I got lots of compliments that it was great to see what a survivor looked like not a over restored car.

I see the front side marker light frames are black as they should be and also the paint they sprayed on before applying the side stripe is there. Every original I see is this way but most think they are body color. I believe your car will be worth much more as an original survivor than a restored car. They are only original once and then just one of the millions of restored cars. People enjoy looking at an original.

VIN#4 was at the museum and it is not restored. Had been painted but original interior and by no means perfect. Would probably bring six figures.

I am 71 and did my car in 10 weeks not working every day needed some recovery days.

So PLEASE do not restore just clean and detail you will get way more attention at the shows. In the museum they put a poppy red 1964 1/2 coupe one owner, Carol Shelby's Black Hornet and then my original 73 Mach 1 so that tells you what they thought about it.

Back