NEW Naca/nasa Hood

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 H code fastback Boss 351 clone
There are 2 different Nasa/Naca hoods available at CJ's. One is $100 cheaper than the other. Does anybody know the difference? I'm guessing the more expensive one is the better hood?

Different manufacturers.

I still would feel more comfortable viewing both parts before purchasing. Viewing them on the car would be best, but you can imagine how that would be accomplished. Aftermarket parts all may look wonderful when held in your hand, but when installed is a completely different story.

Metal thickness and overall fit are the 2 "got-ya's" in sheetmetal.

Price is only that, price. I have been working in aftermarket crash parts for 10 years, and still see no rhyme or reason to what is the "best" part.

From metal to lights to bumpers, our "value line" parts often are the best... IMO

Yeah aftermarket sheet metal you have to be careful of. I prefer NOS or lightly used over aftermarket every time. Even the best repo parts out there are questionable (in my opinion) Hence the reason NOS and even good condition used parts have such a high value. That said I'm sure somebody going to jump all over me for that statement. Start jumping!

I bought a premium hood for my 65 a dew years back from Daniel Carpenter. I already had a regular repo in the shop. I compared the two. The premium was superior in weight, fit, assembly quality. It was just an all around nice product. I would say it was equal to or better than the original I also compared it too. I don't know about new 7173 premium hoods. But I bought a regular 7173 repo two years ago and was pleased.

I bought a premium hood for my 65 a dew years back from Daniel Carpenter. I already had a regular repo in the shop. I compared the two. The premium was superior in weight, fit, assembly quality. It was just an all around nice product. I would say it was equal to or better than the original I also compared it too. I don't know about new 7173 premium hoods. But I bought a regular 7173 repo two years ago and was pleased.
Judge the 65 hood you bought was made in Ohio on the original Ford tooling - they are real nice.Don

There is no such beast for the 71-3 hoods, they are all repro imports.

Has anybody bought one of the new Nasa hoods?
I

I have a new one. I'm not sure of who the manufacturer is. The over all fit is good, it still does have a little bow in the middle just like the originals. Also on the underside it is not spot welded where the metal is pinched together. The originals are welded. I haven't tried mounting the original hood scoops yet. I have a repro non Ford tooling hood molding that doesn't mount on it very well. It has the wrong angle on the ends. Haven't decided if I'm going to try and modify it or try the Ford tooling one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a new one from John's Mustang in Houston. I don't know how 'historically accurate' it is, but I had no problems installing it and I had no issues as far as bent corners or it not fitting. I'll attach a link, if that's not the way things are done here, my apologies in advance. They are usually a little more expensive than CJ's, but I like having a Mustang shop not far from me so I support them when it's economically feasible.

John's Mustang

At this point I am not concerned about "originality" as my car is already a "Boss" clone with lots of repop parts. I just want a clean enjoyable driver!! My hood is probably repairable, but I think the time/money it would take would far exceed the cost of a new hood. Thanks for the info guys!!

I bought a dynacorn from Don at Ohio mustang last year. I read nothing but good things about the hood. I'm finally getting around to fitting it next week and will let you know.

I

I have a new one. I'm not sure of who the manufacturer is. The over all fit is good, it still does have a little bow in the middle just like the originals. Also on the underside it is not spot welded where the metal is pinched together. The originals are welded. I haven't tried mounting the original hood scoops yet. I have a repro non Ford tooling hood molding that doesn't mount on it very well. It has the wrong angle on the ends. Haven't decided if I'm going to try and modify it or try the Ford tooling one.
OK Hopefully Don at Ohio Mustang can jump back in here because I am confused.

:huh:

I thought for the 1971-1973 hoods available now as new are imported (China) reproductions. Is this correct? If so - what "original tooling" are you; 73429mach are referencing????? :dodgy:

Just trying to better understand.

Thanks to all!

Ray

I

OK Hopefully Don at Ohio Mustang can jump back in here because I am confused.

:huh:

I thought for the 1971-1973 hoods available now as new are imported (China) reproductions. Is this correct? If so - what "original tooling" are you; 73429mach are referencing????? :dodgy:

Just trying to better understand.

Thanks to all!

Ray
The Ford tooling I'm referencing is the hood molding that mounts on the front of the hood. I wasn't referring to the hood as Ford tooling. I have a repro hood molding not the Ford tooling hood molding. Sorry for the confusion, I may not of explained it very well.

I bought a dynacorn from Don at Ohio mustang last year. I read nothing but good things about the hood. I'm finally getting around to fitting it next week and will let you know.
Just finished the prefit and the dynacorn hood fit great! As with all the hoods there is a very slight bow that can be resolved with a few fender shims in the middle of the fender.

Cool, thanks for the follow up!! I'm gonna have my body guy decide if I should just fix the original or if he would rather work with a new one. The problem I have is my hood did not come with hood locks, and I want to install a new set. But the PO drilled holes for hood pins, so aside from the little bit of rust I have to clean up, we also have to fix the holes. Thanks again gents!!

Back