New project for this winter. 71 Mach 1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys. Im around 40 hours into it so far. Gonna try to hit some more of it this week, depending on work schedule. Need to get passenger side lower quarter panel patched up, lower outer wheel well, and trunk drop off finished. Then the taillight panel. That should finish up the metal work on the back of the car. More to come!

Got some more done on the mustang today. Got the passenger side lower quarter panel cut out and fitted. Got the trunk drop off finished and patched part of the outer wheel house. Everything is welded up. Still need to grind everything flush. I will be grinding tomorrow and try to get the tail light panel welded in. I post more updates this weekend. Happy new year!!

140gs8z.jpg

28h26vd.jpg

20ro6ja.jpg

351fw38.jpg

15q2nts.jpg

fddo9y.jpg

2cxdz0o.jpg

keaecl.jpg

2mrw1zd.jpg

IMG_0339.JPG

Got some more done on the car today. Finished up the tail light panel, inner fender well, bumper supports, and trunk latch bracket. Also got all the grinding done on the welds today. Hoping to be moving forward on the car. The rear is just about done. Gonna have to start the body work soon! ? Not looking forward to that. But here's a few more pics. I will update this later this week.

50mwxw.jpg

2n03r4o.jpg

28sc38l.jpg

2yuhjde.jpg

etfcdk.jpg

72uavc.jpg

k2bnzr.jpg

261j6v5.jpg

Small update. Didn't get much done but did get a little. Patched a hole by the quarter window. Got most of the areas on rear of car sanded down to bare metal and ready for some filler. Gonna try to get whole car sanded down this week and get a couple dents in the passenger rocker fixed up. Looks like some one jacked up the car on the rocker at some point and messed it up pretty good. Not sure if I will be able to get it to pull out or not. Also got the long dent/crease in the passenger side door pulled out. Should just need a skim of filler to level it out. Also got the trunk seal channel cleaned up. Here's a few pics, enjoy.

167uy42.jpg

14ttvk4.jpg

4k7b7l.jpg

algpac.jpg

fa8qy1.jpg

2ptqrr9.jpg

2guks3l.jpg

5ofp78.jpg

wcjvhw.jpg

16irrwn.jpg

Nice work Kevin. The rocker panel dents look just like the ones on my Mach. When I went to look at it before I bought it , the previous owner had the rocker resting on a jack stand. Keep up the good work. Ryan.

Some nice work going on here, I'm enjoying watching your enthusiastic progress. Thanks for sharing in great detail.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another update. Got most of the bodywork finished on the rear of the car. Gonna try to finish sanding down the rest of the car tomorrow. Then try to get doors pulled off and body shot in primer next week.

2cdijv8.jpg

2ihmiv7.jpg

mhd5yc.jpg

akali1.jpg

34e3pmb.jpg

2ytz1hk.jpg

Looks pretty darn Nice Kevin considering the amount of time,

Gonna start sending work your way :)

Did u seal skim coat the seams/ panel joints on the both qtr panel sections with fiberall or some sort of glass fiber product prior to the filler work ?

Looks pretty darn Nice Kevin considering the amount of time,

Gonna start sending work your way :)

Did u seal skim coat the seams/ panel joints on the both qtr panel sections with fiberall or some sort of glass fiber product prior to the filler work ?
Thanks Scott. Yes I used upol fiber all for first coat over the seams. Also gonna use it up by windshield. Then went over that with evercoat extreme, then filled small stuff with USC icing filler. Turning out pretty nice. I'm happy with the progress.

Another quick update and a chance for me to complain a little! Found more rust on the doors and door jam than what we first thought. Just looked like surface rust, but after some poking around with a screw driver I found multiple holes. I got the doors tore off and on stands to do the repairs. Im going to try to finish sanding down the door jams and repairing the metal in them so I can get the car in primer and let it set for 2 weeks before I start block sanding. During that time, I will hopefully be able to repair the doors and fenders and have them ready for primer next. For being a texas car there sure was more rust than anticipated!! Still way better than most cars and really solid bones but still was not planning on this much extra work! The guy im doing the work for is taking it really well and is glad its getting repaired properly. Just gonna be few bucks more in the end! Right now as the car sits with the majority of the metal work done, tear down, filler work, ect..... I have just under 100 man hours in it. Still hoping to be able to complete the project in under 300 hours. We will see how it all plays out. A lot of work for 1 guy!! LOL But what the hell else are you gonna do during the winter?? Hope to have it finished by April. Anyhow here are some pics....enjoy!

nzga45.jpg

34odkw9.jpg

29vb8qv.jpg

2s0ofp3.jpg

f2o6fs.jpg

2laq9h3.jpg

2yy4fut.jpg

I applaud your perseverance... I have worked on many similar cars in my younger years, you just have to keep at it... you are making nice progress.

Nothing a grinder, welder and time cant fix. New doors would be out of the budget. And I already fit everything to the old doors and drilled 1/8" alignment holes in the hinges and jams. I can fix them, just thought I'd complain a little though!! :shootself::shootself:

Back