New speedo cable, speedometer jumpy…

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RIBS

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Sprint Tribute 302 C4 Convertible
The needle was stable with old cable, new cable does this…ideas? I did lube with some graphite, but not much…

Attachments

• A759F614-1EB6-4ABA-BF31-72D4DD4DBDEF.MOV
    10.4 MB
I replaced my OEM speedometer with an Autometer replacement and had to buy a new cable to accomodate a screw connection while the OEM used a clip on connection. I can offer it up to you'd like. Still works great.

Last edited:
Did you use your old housing with a new cable? Did the old cable break? If so you likely have metal flakes and pieces of wire in the housing, if you didn't flush it out and swab it out. When you insert the new cable into the housing just lubricate the bottom half of the cable, to keep the lube from migrating into the speedometer head. Use either liquid or paste graphite.

I used powder graphite..the old cable worked but was old and stiff and impossible to unplug from speedometer housing, since I am rebuilding the car I had the dash stripped out, this is a new one from Ohio mustang. Maybe it needs more lube and a reset….the old cable didn’t break, this is entirely new unit, housing and cable…

Don C walked me through this scenario once. I used his recommended Graphite grease/oil. My speedo is incredibly smooth running even after 5 k miles.

Back