New steering and suspension

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Green on green 72 Mach 1
I just replaced my complete steering and suspension with all new mostly Moog parts.
When I tighten all the tie rods, idler arm and pitman joints the steering gets extremely tight. Is this normal or do I need to look into it?
And I haven’t tightened the spindles to the control arms all the way to spec yet.
Thanks

I have only lubed to idler arm so far when I put it together. There is no motor in it yet so no I haven’t tried it with power. I have to get a hose for the grease gun since I can’t get to most of the fitting with a hard pipe on the grease gun.
Thanks

I have only lubed to idler arm so far when I put it together. There is no motor in it yet so no I haven’t tried it with power. I have to get a hose for the grease gun since I can’t get to most of the fitting with a hard pipe on the grease gun.
Thanks
70cobrasj, if you haven't already, my advice is to change any straight zirk fittings to the 90 or even the 45 degree fittings. it may make life easier for future periodic lube jobs.

Tom

You are right about the 90’s I had 4 of them and put them on the upper control arms. I’ll get some more for the rest of them.
After finishing the brakes and mounting the wheels I can turn them no problem by grabbing the wheel and turning them back and forth by hand. Didn’t have much leverage with just the spindle.
Thanks.

Last edited:
I just replaced my complete steering and suspension with all new mostly Moog parts.
When I tighten all the tie rods, idler arm and pitman joints the steering gets extremely tight. Is this normal or do I need to look into it?
And I haven’t tightened the spindles to the control arms all the way to spec yet.
Thanks
Moog. Good stuff. The only provider of suspension parts I trust my life to. They have had an excellent reputation for as long as I recall (I began my automotive repair odyssey in the early 70s).

Back