New to forum (and Mustangs!)

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crzyfun

Reaction score
My Car
a '72 mach 1 convertible
::thumb::

Greetings all!

Here I am a newbie both to this forum and to Mustangs.

I just today picked this up. My two kids, my wife and I are gonna (slowly) rebuild it.

Lots of grand ideas, and very little experience. We'll see how it goes. The learning curve starts. Whew!

Anyway, hello all! I'll be around (when I'm not under the hood).

crazy-fun-mustang.jpg

Nice vert! When you say "rebuild", what needs to be done?

Another welcome from the Netherlands
Hi!

I'm not really sure at this point. Definitely some restoration... the interior is just old (tears in the leather, cracks in the dash, old carpet, etc). But how much mechanical work I do remains to be seen.

It runs pretty well, but I suspect it could run even better.

The goal is to have fun with it, involve all the family (probably end up being mostly my son, but who knows, my daughter might get into it as well), and make memories. If on the other side I end up with a nice show piece, then great! If after lots of memories I end up with an non-running junk heap, also great (well, not as great, but the journey is the focus here). :)

I'm not a gearhead at all. I'm a computer programmer by trade, but a "problem solver" by practice.

So I am very willing to admit I might very well be in waaaay over my head. Which is why I both terrified and excited. Seems to be a good mix of the two.

Or as I said to my wife: Crazy. Fun.

Yup!

Welcome from Mustang, Oklahoma. It looks to be a better starting point than many of us started with. You have entered a very analog world. I suggest the first thing you buy is a set of reproduction shop manuals and assembly manuals. It will save a lot of frustration and time. When you have time, give us the details of the car. Chuck

Welcome from Mustang, Oklahoma. It looks to be a better starting point than many of us started with. You have entered a very analog world. I suggest the first thing you buy is a set of reproduction shop manuals and assembly manuals. It will save a lot of frustration and time. When you have time, give us the details of the car. Chuck
Thanks Chuck!

Will do. I was planning to get a Chilton's and a Haynes... is it better to just skip those and get the shop manuals?  I used to have a Haynes for my '72 Land Cruiser and I remember that was a good mixture of technically detailed but not too much so I wasn't lost.

I'm gonna try and track down previous owners to figure out more of it's history. I'll definitely give more details (and pics) soon!

-Dan

A very close welcome from the Albuquerque area. Just a friendly FYI. There is no such thing as a Mach 1 convertible, but there should have been. Looks to be in very nice condition already. What are your plans?  Good Luck.   Ed Raver

A very close welcome from the Albuquerque area. Just a friendly FYI. There is no such thing as a Mach 1 convertible, but there should have been. Looks to be in very nice condition already. What are your plans?  Good Luck.   Ed Raver
Hi Ed!

Thanks for the welcome. I'm confused (mostly because I'm a total newbie)... it's a '72 convertible and says Mach 1 on the side, so what do you mean when you said there's no such thing as a Mach 1 convertible?

As for what my plans are... probably a total rebuild. Mostly because me and my family are excited for the journey of the rebuild. The car is actually in decent running condition (definitely some electrical issues and a bad rattling on high RPMs, though), however the interior is pretty worn out.

I'll document it with lots of pics as I go. It'll be a massive learning experience for us all, but hopefully will end up being a ton of fun... or as my wife said: Crazy Fun!

We'll see how it goes. :-D

Back