New to Mach 1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
More details about the car from what I can tell in a few more pics that the owner sent.

It has power steering and brakes. No A/C. No console. The underside of the hood and the trunk has rust. Original air cleaner housing is gone. The dash, door panels and carpet are black. The front and rear seats are solid red.

It has a red accent stripe on the dash, around the 3 gauges and on the plastic gear selector base. I haven't seen anything like this before. Is this a normal accent?

WELCOME aboard, Don!

Congratulations on your decision to purchase the '71 Mach 1.

Now is the time to start thinking about making a decision as to what you want to do with the car. One of the first thing I would do is order a "Marti report" to determine how your car was built from the "factory." That might influence your decision.

The following link provides information on how and what a "Marti report" is - - in case you have not heard of it.

http://www.martiauto.com/reports2.cfm

Again, a SINCERE welcome and I look forward to interacting with you on the Forums.

BT

More details about the car from what I can tell in a few more pics that the owner sent.

It has power steering and brakes. No A/C. No console. The underside of the hood and the trunk has rust. Original air cleaner housing is gone. The dash, door panels and carpet are black. The front and rear seats are solid red.

It has a red accent stripe on the dash, around the 3 gauges and on the plastic gear selector base. I haven't seen anything like this before. Is this a normal accent?
CAn you post the pictures?

I just purchased mine and just a few weeks ago I payed 4500 for mine which has a rebuilt 351C and a new tranny I think you got a good deal and welcome to the form

Wow Mach123. I just read your intro thread about your 71 Mach 1. That is a much nicer car than the red Mach 1 I'm looking at...and you paid $4500 vs the $4000 price they're asking for the red one and it has a busted trans.

Maybe $4000 is too much???

Lily008_crop.jpg

025.jpg

054.jpg

046.jpg

107.jpg

109.jpg

034.jpg

So from the pictures above and me not knowing anything about Mach 1s. What is the good, the bad and the ugly?::help::

Example,

power steering and brakes...good. :)

new set of headers in the trunk...good.

rusted hood...ugly!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the red accent is interesting......I've never seen it before, but by the same token I've also learned to say that just because I haven't seen it doesn't mean that it wasn't available. The underside of the hood is ugly but the rest doesn't look that bad.

Just my 2 cents worth!

Ken

In looking at the high res copy of the pic it seems to me that it was carefully hand painted by one of the previous owners. If I'm correct, this would be my first UN-mod to do to the car.

Do the red seats look stock? I know what black vinyl looks like, this looks like a red cloth of some sort.

The data plate couldn't be located to see the interior code.

In looking at the high res copy of the pic it seems to me that it was carefully hand painted by one of the previous owners. If I'm correct, this would be my first UN-mod to do to the car.

Do the red seats look stock? I know what black vinyl looks like, this looks like a red cloth of some sort.

FWIW, it looks to be in a little better shape than mine when we bought it. I'm a little surprised that there is a tach on an automatic car, could have been swapped in I suppose. And, I agree on the red striping, looks like someone touched up the dash for a little flair! I'd say the seats have been recovered, and something is up with the fit on the rear.. just my 2 cents. I'd still get a look under the carpet and under the cowl :s

But is it $4000 good? Or would I be better off trying to find a better car? Btw, the owner pulled back the carpet and found a little rust in one of the back floors &said the others looked good.

Not a bad price,but after you mentioned the data plate not located to see interior code, should be one on drivers door make sure the body code is 63R,if not there look for Buck tag on radiator support behind headlights to confirm VIN # that it is a Mach 1 ( 05 ) and not a Fastback ( 02 ) with a swapped out dash

$4000 is a fair price for both party's. The grill is broken by right head light new are available same with hood. Seats are incorrect so is red accent on dash. Need to look at cowl floor pans and trunk floors to see how bad the rust is. Rust on these cars is just how it is. History of the car is worth something. Can you here it run. I think the decal is misaligned on left 1/4 extension to trunk decal. All N all I think for $4000 its a good buy. Ive seen coupes sell in worse shape for $3500. Mike

Again, if you are looking to go "original",order the "Marti Report." That way, there will be no question as to what "it came with."

Based on your posted pictures, I would purchase the car at that price (if I was interested in another one).

BT

Thanks Cobra. Before I order a Marti report I need confirmation of the VIN. I've asked the owner to take a pic of the body tag.

Is the VIN stamped anywhere else on the car?

The VIN should be located at the top of the dash above the steering wheel area.

When viewed from outside the car, look into the driver side corner of the windshield area at the top of the dashboard. You should be able to see the VIN.

We can actually tell you quite a bit about the car just by the VIN.

BT

But if the dash was replaced then the one on the car now could be from another car. Since the data plate is missing (don't know why) and the seats have been changed out, the possibility exists that the dash may have been changed out as well.

I'm looking for other areas where the vin is located on the car.

The part of the dash where the VIN is located is rarely changed on our ('71 - '73 Mustangs) cars.

It is the front part of the dash (the dash pad) that is usually changed and readily available from vendors. I would think that the dash itself is more than likely the original.

Of course, the other "check" would be the registration and/or title. Those documents should show the VIN. If there are problems with seeing those documents, then I would pass on the car as you may have other problems not related to the condition of the car.

Did I misunderstand you; have you already gotten the car?

BT

Understood about the dash VIN.

My state only requires a bill of sale on old cars like this? Therefore a title is not needed to register nor is a title issued when an old car is registered. The only evidence is looking at the vin # on the car. So where are all the places on the car where the vin is shown?

1. Dash

2. Body tag on radiator support.

3. Door data plate.

4. ??? Where else?

5. ??? Another spot on the frame somewhere?

I want to compare the vin to all the spots I can...not just the one on the dash.

Thanks.

Not a bad price,but after you mentioned the data plate not located to see interior code, should be one on drivers door make sure the body code is 63R,if not there look for Buck tag on radiator support behind headlights to confirm VIN # that it is a Mach 1 ( 05 ) and not a Fastback ( 02 ) with a swapped out dash
This is what I'm trying to do by looking at all the vin #s I can see on the car, but I don't know where they all are located on the car.

Last edited by a moderator:
Understood about the dash VIN.

My state only requires a bill of sale on old cars like this? Therefore a title is not needed to register nor is a title issued when an old car is registered. The only evidence is looking at the vin # on the car. So where are all the places on the car where the vin is shown?

1. Dash

2. Body tag on radiator support.

3. Door data plate.

4. ??? Where else?

5. ??? Another spot on the frame somewhere?

I want to compare the vin to all the spots I can...not just the one on the dash.

Thanks.

This is what I'm trying to do by looking at all the vin #s I can see on the car, but I don't know where they all are located on the car.
#5= Under the fenders in the middle of the shock tower apron & on the firewall behind the heater box..you can see it in this vid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back