New to me 1972 Mustang convertible

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 8 tract am/fm out of a 73, it works, but low power, I replaced it, I could find it and send you a pic if you wish, knobs some missing
Sure, I'd like to see it.

Hey Moosestang,

I pulled this radio in the pics out of my ‘73 very as it was scratchy when using the knobs, had low power, but worked otherwise and took a chance to update with Retro Radio, it took them about 4 months, they always took my calls, we’re very attentive, especially on details, they must be a small mom and pop thing, I went with a complete new am/fm/tape blue tooth in the stock case, ori appearance - it kicks a** with unbelievable power and sound, the restoration wasn’t cheap, about $600, but everything was finally done, and by keeping the original radio case and original look, I was very happy.

So, I had kept the original just in case, but will never need it, the pics are the original radio out of the ‘73 vert, (honestly 2 years ago I was so frustrated I woulda given the entire mustang away, a friend came to the rescue, the result is a show stopping beauty!

I only found 3 of the knobs, but have 2 connectio cables which are hard to find.

Just make offer and if you could pay for the type shipping you want,

I have the original console that I do not want, I pulled the clock and found a mini console I liked better. Just putting that out there.

Attachments

• 767BCDCC-FBEE-42D7-B389-D7E55F239D6E.jpeg
    767BCDCC-FBEE-42D7-B389-D7E55F239D6E.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
  • D4A9296C-5DC9-4249-9B29-84A06BD3B410.jpeg
    D4A9296C-5DC9-4249-9B29-84A06BD3B410.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1
  • 1A3E5C1D-1535-49A9-A06E-F1E1010FA353.jpeg
    1A3E5C1D-1535-49A9-A06E-F1E1010FA353.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • E065D76F-02CE-45B5-A9A6-6E157CDADEBD.jpeg
    E065D76F-02CE-45B5-A9A6-6E157CDADEBD.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
  • A34E03C1-92B7-447C-B01D-3ADDEEDD3A7A.jpeg
    A34E03C1-92B7-447C-B01D-3ADDEEDD3A7A.jpeg
    736.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 90551EE7-F042-49B7-986C-6E5A33A360AF.jpeg
    90551EE7-F042-49B7-986C-6E5A33A360AF.jpeg
    525.6 KB · Views: 0
  • BB9A8B26-2454-4CB2-B66E-AD5D54279043.jpeg
    BB9A8B26-2454-4CB2-B66E-AD5D54279043.jpeg
    758.4 KB · Views: 1
Moosestang, the above message I got ahead of myself, the pics are the original radio nothing has been done to, this is the one in the pics you might be interested in.

I had found another that I sent to Retro Radio, I just wanted to share that.
spell check is going to be the end of me!

Prior owner of our 73 Fold Flow Mustang vert replaced the original white top with black. Looks great (Ginger interior). I am off site with iPhone. So no pics available to share. Perhaps once I am back home I will circle back and add a few photos.

It turns out that I do have a few photos of our 73 vert showing the black fabric top on the iPhone.

Attachments

• 967C0AAD-F7B3-43EE-93D5-56E247724D2D.jpeg
    967C0AAD-F7B3-43EE-93D5-56E247724D2D.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 1
  • C6CE84A6-B3E7-4D32-A44D-474F830B7F14.jpeg
    C6CE84A6-B3E7-4D32-A44D-474F830B7F14.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
Hey Moosestang,

I pulled this radio in the pics out of my ‘73 very as it was scratchy when using the knobs, had low power, but worked otherwise and took a chance to update with Retro Radio, it took them about 4 months, they always took my calls, we’re very attentive, especially on details, they must be a small mom and pop thing, I went with a complete new am/fm/tape blue tooth in the stock case, ori appearance - it kicks a** with unbelievable power and sound, the restoration wasn’t cheap, about $600, but everything was finally done, and by keeping the original radio case and original look, I was very happy.

So, I had kept the original just in case, but will never need it, the pics are the original radio out of the ‘73 vert, (honestly 2 years ago I was so frustrated I woulda given the entire mustang away, a friend came to the rescue, the result is a show stopping beauty!

I only found 3 of the knobs, but have 2 connectio cables which are hard to find.

Just make offer and if you could pay for the type shipping you want,

I have the original console that I do not want, I pulled the clock and found a mini console I liked better. Just putting that out there.
Swice, I have a 73 convertible. Are you selling the 8 track radio? If so can you DM me.

High Swice nice car. I have a '73 mustang convertible. Are you selling the original 8-track? I tried to DM you but could not get message to send.

High Swice nice car. I have a '73 mustang convertible. Are you selling the original 8-track? I tried to DM you but could not get message to send.
Yes, it came out of my project car, and looked original, but I noticed it was not on my marti report for some reason, I found the same radio on eBay several years ago and sent that one to Retro radio, they replaced the inside with an updated system that’s amazing, so I have no need of the original radio I pulled out,
it works but low power and scratchy when the knobs are turned, otherwise good, only 3 of the knobs however,

moosestang asked about it, but he hasn’t responded to my reply,
just make offer and pay for whatever way you want it shipped,
I have two of the connectors which are hard to find with it, it’s not a peach so I do not expect a lot, i also have the console as I pulled the clock out if interested, take care!

Thanks for the quick reply. Since it is low power and scratchy Would $100 cover the radio + shipping? My '73 is fairly nice and originally came with a AMFM but not 8 track. I replaced it with an after market 8-track that looks good and works ok but always wanted to find an original 8-track. Sounds like It will need restoration work which will be a bit of a project but it may work. Thanks for your consideration. Stan..
My Address Is
Stan Watson
133 Candy Lane
Palm Harbor, FL 34683.

Just let me know your price and how to pay you. I can Paypal, cash, check...

Thanks for the quick reply. Since it is low power and scratchy Would $100 cover the radio + shipping? My '73 is fairly nice and originally came with a AMFM but not 8 track. I replaced it with an after market 8-track that looks good and works ok but always wanted to find an original 8-track. Sounds like It will need restoration work which will be a bit of a project but it may work. Thanks for your consideration. Stan..
My Address Is
Stan Watson
133 Candy Lane
Palm Harbor, FL 34683.

Just let me know your price and how to pay you. I can Paypal, cash, check...
Hi Stan, $100 is fine. Actually that is what I paid for the replacement vintage radio I sent to Retro Radio. Just wait and receive the radio and make sure it's what you want. If you are ok with it, just send the money by way of paypal, email address is/ [email protected]
phone is 479 651-6211 (text me first if you want to call as I ignore numbers I do not recognize)

If there is anything not right, no worries I'll take it back. I'll add the extra wiring and connectors I found. My car this radio came out of must have sat for years in California, it was the dirtiest car I'd ever seen when I bought it on an Ebay auction unseen about 6 years ago, it had been bidded down as it was rough, when I pulled the radio (the one I am sending you), it looked like it had always been there, but the doors had been replaced sometime in the past, and it was only wired to the dash speaker with the stereo wiring just cut and left. I guess sometime the car had been through wrecks, doors, redos, and abandoned until I bought it. Frame was good, just needed patience, which I almost ran out of!

I have to mention, with Retro Radio, I spent about $600 to redo the replacement vintage radio I have. I wanted bluetooth, and the 8 track to work, and it was amazing that the original knobs and case came back unchanged, but the knobs had different functionalities with the most amazing power and sound -making the investment worth it. I admit I took a chance with them, and it took about 4 months, but toward shipping they called several times to make sure everything was right. I'll send you a pic soon.

Thanks Swice. I will put you in my contacts. I can be reached at

[email protected]
727-798-4221

Feel free to txt, email or call anytime with any suggestions or if I can be of any help. I will get you paid as soon as it arrives and make sure it fits. Great suggestion on retro radio. I will likely send it to them. Thanks again Stan

@swice Did you use 4 ohm or 8 ohm speakers with your restored radio?
Hi Stan, I got your radio sent yesterday, make sure it's what you want, no worries,
I use two 4 ohm ungrounded door panel speakers with 45 watts each from the Retro radio, my walmart left door speaker was somewhat overwhelmed, when the weather is warmer, and my back quits hurting, I need to replace it.

this is my Retro radio conversion, I really like it, especially the bluetooth, I placed a hidden mic just under the dash driver side and it picks up pretty well for what it is.

Attachments

• IMG_5898.jpeg
    IMG_5898.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
One other unrelated issue I ran into and saved myself a whole lot of trouble. This car, as I mentioned, had dubious previous owners, had been dogged, wrecked, and someone did quite a bit of "makeup" cosmetic stuff maybe 20 years ago, then it was severely neglected, left out, you get the picture. When I began to tear it down in my carport, I ran into so many problems, and it was so filthy, I almost gave up. One frustrating problem was the ac/heater blower had an unnatural shriek that sounded like a bad bearing, and I looked it up on the forums, most people replaced with a cheap china fan motor, big hassle getting out, etc. I examined closely under the dash with my fingers and notice the bell housing had a vent slot on top. I tried silicone spray injected through this slot with only a slight change in the fan noise. Then I was thinking that F type trans oil was super slick, and I had nothing to lose by "pumping" a small amount with a cheap hand held hand pump I had picked up, so I pumped by way of the vent slot of the bell of the fan about 1/4 cup of F type trans oil, and the sound immediately vanquished, the fan only smelled of transmission oil for a few days and that was 3 years ago, very powerful stock fan that remains super quiet. I drive the stang everyday and use either the heater or ac with fan on high. It was a great payoff for just trying something different and encouraged me to continue on. I am so glad I did, it's not a looker but runs as good as it looks. I added (replaced) front and rear stabilizer bars, redid suspension, had to have the trani rebuilt, most of the interior, redid the vacuum which drove me crazy as the controller was bad, and after about 10 tries found a metal controller that works. Many things but now just a reliable cool car!

Back