Nice rack

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 mustang convertible
1974 Z28 camaro
1963 chevy C10
1999 F150 lariat 4X4
Yeah I made you look...now that I have your attention, has anyone tried to use a rack & pinion setup out of a newer car? I can get my hands on an 89 mustang and was thinking about fitting the rack under my 71. I have not measured anything yet...just thought I would skim it across you guys first.

Ok I clicked on the Thread looking for a Nice Rack, you tricked me :D

as Mjlan said, our steering set up is on the back 1/2 of the spindle, where the Rack and Pinion mounts on the front 1/2.

that might be an issue, but I'm sure there is a work around.

My '71 is an abused machine with multiples crashes under its belt. It got so bad I had to fab totally new crossmembers and reinforcements over time. After rebuilding the suspension and steering however, I find the steering to be tight, very accurate, and leaves little to be desired in terms of performance. I also own multiple late model 5.0 Mustangs with varying degrees of steering/suspension setup, all rack and pinion. While the steering is good, I don't think it's good enough to really consider swapping one into my '71. So what is it that's really bothering you about the steering setup on the '71? I've heard these cars came with a very good steering gearbox and are supposed to handle better than any of the 1st gen classic Mustangs.

Went and looked at the car and not what I'm looking for. The guy didn't know what he had. I ran the vin and it came up 5.0 HO, standard, and it ran great (trans was missing though) Set him up with a buddy of mine who had a T5 for $100 and now he is keeping it...I saved another one...:)

You know that you can pickup a reman rack out of a '93 Cobra for around $100. I wouldn't even bother with a used one, they wear out pretty quick and need to be replaced pretty often.

Back