No electrical power

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manyo

Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1
Car started fine yesterday . Re installed my head lamps and parking lamps go to start the car and it's dead. Went out and purchased a new battery and still nothing. Lights don't come on either. Anybody??

Thank you in advance !

Check the cables, i.e., use a battery cable/post wire brush to clean connections -- dirty connections can cause a big headache.

Check your fusible links at the starter solenoid. The main harness ring terminals first 6 inches or so of wire are the fusible links that can break internally if shorted. I'm certain that's your issue if your battery and cables are good and ground is good..

You might have fried your ignition switch by leaving it in RUN with out the engine running. Possible, just not probable.

Usually the coil blows out as well when you leave the switch in run for longer then a few minutes with the battery connected.

That's why there is ACC mode on the ignition turning the key back towards the driver. It allows all function except the coil and ignition system.

Usually the coil blows out as well when you leave the switch in run for longer then a few minutes with the battery connected.

That's why there is ACC mode on the ignition turning the key back towards the driver. It allows all function except the coil and ignition system.
+1.

Hello Folks. Thank you all very much for the suggestions. Battery is new and connections are good. I am going to start with fusible links seeing the are the cheapest and easiest thing to do. My next question is how do I know what amperage to get??

Thanks again.

MidLife is the expert on what the amperage rating of the fusable link wire... you can PM him on that.

I did it 30 yrs ago and I think I used 4 inches of 20 amp fusable link wire I got at the local parts store

I wonder if it is a specialty item now?

Paul

The specification is 9 inches of 14 gauge fusible link. Google 14 gauge fusible link and you'll find a company that sells the correct green molded link that Ford used.

Back