No go

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayro

Reaction score
My Car
73 mustang baby blue with clevo 351
Hey guys,

Need some help please. So fresh build, all being running good since all the little issues were sorted. Until today. I went to start it, reds came on and it went to kick over very briefly (split second) then nothing. No reds, no anything. Power to the fuse box under dash is ok, fuses all check ok. I did have a crappy ignition apparently and the auto electrician supposedly sorted.

It may be nothing to do with it but I’m not sure. I did pop steering wheel off and this metal “connector” is just in there lose. That normal or?

Appreciate any help

Attachments

• 5D96FCBE-A33F-4E89-8638-027E755A446A.jpeg
    5D96FCBE-A33F-4E89-8638-027E755A446A.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
I would check battery connections then starter solenoid.
yeh they are all fine mate. All brand new when we done the rebuild. Something has let go in the ignition side of things. Power to fuses etc all fine. 12.5v everywhere. New battery, new terminals, new cablesin engine bay, great earth and contact. That side is all fine. The key in the ignition is not activating anything.

Hey guys,

Need some help please. So fresh build, all being running good since all the little issues were sorted. Until today. I went to start it, reds came on and it went to kick over very briefly (split second) then nothing. No reds, no anything. Power to the fuse box under dash is ok, fuses all check ok. I did have a crappy ignition apparently and the auto electrician supposedly sorted.

It may be nothing to do with it but I’m not sure. I did pop steering wheel off and this metal “connector” is just in there lose. That normal or?

Appreciate any help

The connector in the turn signal switch should have nothing to do with the ignition - they're completely separate systems. Not sure what it's for, but I'd remove it if it's not connected to anything.

By "kick over briefly", I imagine you mean the starter turned it over, but it didn't start. After that, nothing worked, but you still have power to the fuse box.

My first assumption, since the warning indicators do not illuminate when you turn the key to "RUN", is that there is an issue with your ignition switch or simply a loose connection. The ignition switch is mounted on top of the column, and it's connector is the rectangular plastic connector, not the horseshoe shaped one. I would disconnect and reconnect the plug and see if that fixes your issue. Another thing to look for is wires that are pushing out of the connector housing.

1668647803859.png

The connector in the turn signal switch should have nothing to do with the ignition - they're completely separate systems. Not sure what it's for, but I'd remove it if it's not connected to anything.

By "kick over briefly", I imagine you mean the starter turned it over, but it didn't start. After that, nothing worked, but you still have power to the fuse box.

My first assumption, since the warning indicators do not illuminate when you turn the key to "RUN", is that there is an issue with your ignition switch or simply a loose connection. The ignition switch is mounted on top of the column, and it's connector is the rectangular plastic connector, not the horseshoe shaped one. I would disconnect and reconnect the plug and see if that fixes your issue. Another thing to look for is wires that are pushing out of the connector housing.

View attachment 69880
Ah thank you mate. That certainly gives me something to look at tonight. Pretty disappointing after I paid an auto elec $550 to "fix" my ignition but it certainly seems to be to do with ignition as its exactly as you wrote. Will keep you posted.

Ok so I’ve managed to get the switch out. Nothing o boy that seems wrong with it but will pop into auto elec tomorrow so they can test it for me.

I have found a red fusible link from that is glean snapped and the copper has all broken down. Looks like it goes to the alternator it seems?

I’m guessing this is a seperate issue and not why I don’t have any action from the ignition?

Also how the heck do you replace them?

Cheers

Attachments

• 645D122D-8EF3-4478-B7A3-E5214465C298.jpeg
    645D122D-8EF3-4478-B7A3-E5214465C298.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Ford 16GA fusible links are orange.

Follow the lead back a bit and get the color of the wire. If it's yellow, that's the main power feed into the car. If it's black w/orange stripe, that's the one that goes to the alternator.

To replace it, you get a new fusible link from the parts store in the same 16GA rating, and crimp it to the mating wire.

His pic shows a 16GA, would you advise he upgrade to a 14GA green fusible link?

My 71 has a green 14GA on the Yellow primary power lead and an orange 16GA on the alternator Black w/Yellow stripe.

1668798863076.png

Last edited:
I have only seen one alternator fusible link, and that may be 16 gauge. Main power lines are always 14 gauge.

Back