No taillights (possible headlight switch??? maybe)

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach1
Hello everyone,

the other night during cruise night I found out I had no tail lights on my 1973 Mustang Mach 1. So today I tore into the lights to see if I could find out why no lights. Break lights and turn signals all work just fine. when I turn on the headlights they work, but the marker lights don't work and the tail lights don't work. So with my power probe I figured out what wire powers the tail lights so when I feed power to the wire the tail lights and marker lights all come on and I can hear the key buzzer dinging also when I back feed power in the wire. So I ordered a new head light switch and I just want to check with someone that my thinking is right that the head light switch is the culprit. Thank you in advance.

You didn't say if the front park lights come on, or not, with the headlight switch in the park position. If they don't, you are likely correct about it being the headlight switch.

Here are some schematics snippets that ought to help you chase things down in the event the new headlight switch does not work out.

Attachments

• 1971-1973_BrakeLightConnectorsAndSplices_20210619.pdf
    17.3 MB · Views: 1
  • 1971-1973_TailightConnectorsAndSplices_20210221.pdf
    15.9 MB · Views: 5
Check the grounds near the filler neck.

Back