Noisy Roller Valve-train?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 H code fastback Boss 351 clone
OK, I understand that a roller valve-train is prone to be a bit more noisy, but realistically how much more? I have a full Lunati roller cam, lifter, rocker set-up in my Cleveland, and upon initial startup it ticks pretty good until its warm, then almost all the noise goes away. Also if I'm just cruising down the road around 40/50 mph, and just touch the gas a little I can hear my valve-train, but under hard acceleration, or deceleration nothing, sound perfectly normal. I have no previous experience with roller valve-trains so pardon me if this seems a little ignorant. Thanks!!!

I can hear mine when idling, but other than that I can't hear it around town. May want to recheck your valve lash, if it is still where it needs to be then I would say it is normal.

I have the same on my 71. I was retrofitted with compcams magnum hydraulic roller cam, Crane hydr roller lifters, crane hardened pushrods, comp beehive springs, stainless valves.

I have a slight tick in the valvetrain when the engine is cold. After a mile of driving the noise is gone completely an does not come back until the engine stands cools down.

My suspicion is that the valve springs I selected are too hard and give too much load on the valvetrain. I will change them next year for the same style of springs with a lower springload.

How are your rockers adjusted?

I convinced myself I could hear my roller rockers, but I would bet they were just adjusted too loose...

I talked to my engine builder. He tells me to try to go one full turn on rocker nuts. .050 preload and see if that quiets it down, he assures me this is ok to do. I guess I have nothing to loose!!:-/

One full turn seems a little tight in my past experience. I have a cut out valve cover that I use to adjust the rockers when the engine is running. Using a vacuum guage and setting them with the engine running has always worked well for me. Back the adjusting nut off until you hear a slight clacking then tighten it 1/2 to 3/4 turn and verify you have a steady vacuum with the best reading. This way can be a little messy lol.

I set them to the full turn past zero, upon initial fire up it was still a little loud, but quieted down once it fully warmed up. I might go back to 3/4 turn eventually, but I know the half turn that Lunati recommends does not work. I would think if I had a "bad" lifter or something it would only get worse with rpm, or engine heat. In my case everything gets quieter with engine temp, and rpm's. once everything is fully warmed up there is no noise. Keep in mind I have never had a roller system before so I may be chasing a ghost.

Back