NOS 1973 Ford Mustang Slotted Aluminum Wheels & Center Caps

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach 1 (x3) 73 Grande
68 Coupe
72 Sprint Fastback
72 Sprint convertible, 1 of 50 (sold)
69 GT 500 (sold)
68 Fastback deluxe int. w/bench (sold)
Glad I bought mine when they went for $5.00 - $10.00 at swap meets. Nobody wanted a little 6" wheel.
There is a issues for the purist. They were never polished from Ford. He said there was compound from polishing and you can see in the slots where they got into the mill finish there. They were high speed turned with diamond tooling, were shiny but never polished. They get polished now, I did , because they get $350 to reface them like original, ouch. I ended up with 5 sets of them and last parts car I got had a nice set on it. The lugs are hard to find for sure. They are like 2.25" long. The other thing is the center caps are the late issue service part with only three screws all factory cars had 5 screws. With a price like that I figured BP had them but not. 

I have a set for sale with correct size tires if anyone is interested, $1,500.00.

IMG_2279.JPG

IMG_2275.JPG

IMG_2276.JPG

IMG_2277.JPG

IMG_2278.JPG

IMG_2274.JPG

IMG_2283.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
We’re all the factory slots for 73 a 14 inch wheel, or did they come as 15s too.

That set with the tires looks like a helluva deal!

kcmash

Not to be Debbie Downer, but NOS typically means never used or installed.  Those wheels and lug nuts don't look unused to me.

Nevertheless, the wheels look to be in very good shape indeed.

We’re all the factory slots for 73 a 14 inch wheel, or did they come as 15s too.

That set with the tires looks like a helluva deal!

kcmash
In 73 they were all 14 x6, but there were different bore sizes, since these rim were also on other models, such Mavericks. In 74 they made a similar slot but in 13 inch and with four lug the Mustang II.

I experimented with using a 1970s style Ansen sprint aluminum slot wheel with the 73 aluminum wheel center cap and painting the black stripe on it. Ansens Sprints were available in 14 and 15 inch and in various widths 6, 7, 8... You need to drill the center cap mounting holes, paint the black stripe and use the Ansen lug nuts and washer. They looked very stock like.

I only had a set of 14 inch in 7 and 8 inch to work with, but 15 inch are out there.They still make them, but I don't know if they have change their appearance.

20180727_175744-1.jpg

20180727_180924-1.jpg

20180727_175755.jpg

Like was stated Ford only offered the 15" X 6" slotted aluminum wheel. The Mustang, Maverick and Comet used the same center hole diameter to fit the front spindle hub and rear axle post. There were two other center hole diameters that are larger than the Mustang and if you use them you need to make a thin sleeve to install in the wheel. The center hole supports the weight of the car and the lug nuts pull in to the hub. 
Also the big difference in the Ford wheels and the Ansen is that the Ansen is just a cast wheel and will not polish up as good as the Ford Forged wheels. 
Ford never really polished the wheels and the set on Ebay were polished so not really NOS either. They were high speed turned using diamond tooling. Pretty much all aluminum wheels were. I found someone that does do a CNC lathe re cut but wanted $350 a wheel. So I just polished mine also. 

They were a good deal I thought when you ordered new. I paid $110.92 if I remember correct. I also specified Goodyear RWL tires.

The lugs are difficult to find and I would never pay the price they went for on Ebay. 

DSC_1122.JPG

DSC_0954.JPG

Yep, that's the same cost option for my car as well...

IMG_2199[1].JPG

I’m looking for 2 wheels but would consider a full set of 4 Ford Factory Forged Aluminum Slotted wheels with chrome center hubs and matching lug nuts at a reasonable price. Tom in Staten Island, NY. Email: [email protected]

Back