• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

NOS Firestone Wide Oval

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ricard

Reaction score
My Car
1972 351CJ MACh1
[url=https://ibb.co/hBMVvFT][img]https://i.ibb.co/K2GWHx8/A865-E967-B72-D-4-AD0-A6-C8-F4-D3-E243-BFF5.jpg[/img][/url]
Yup, seems impossible but I have a set of 4 new old stock NOS Firestone Wide  “O” Ovals.

G70x14

Set of 4.

They still have the nipples on the tread, have never been mounted and one still has stickers on it.

They were pulled out of a warehouse in Windsor Ontario... Ford Country! And one actually has a routing sticker on it(white) that states Hamilton Ontario.

Maybe you are doing a concourse car or have some rare example and this would set it apart from others? Maybe you just love annoying your wife by hanging car stuff in your living room? I don’t know, but I don’t have a concourse car and the wife said no, so here they are, they are in fantastic shape and honestly, I would not be scared to put them on a car and drive it conservatively. They are still pretty soft.

Pm me with an offer, they are worth some pretty good cash, have a google.

I have a 72 Cj and 86 Camaro, maybe parts can sweeten the deal?

Or maybe you know where else I could post these to sell them?

Cheers! 

Wow. There is something you don't see everyday. I would be curious what the date code it on them. Are you on facebook? there are prob some groups on there you could advertise, also someone on here might be looking as well. or VMF (vintage mustang forum). Either way very cool.

Ok I’ll check out concourse mustang!

I’m not on Facebook, probably the only person left in the world... but I’m holding out. Lol

Where would I find that date code?
Nope not the only one :)  Im holding out for something better as well !!!!! The date code is ? going to be a google search or one of the really old people on here :) Ha Ha.

Pretty amazing find. I read the title and said to myself, "NOS, Yeah, right." But wow. Pretty amazing.

Someone will certainly pay top $$ for those. Yes, it will be a trailer queen for sure. But a trailer queen with new shoes for the big dance. How many Concours points do unused NOS wide ovals score you?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys, first for holding out on Facebook!

And second, big red mach you get it, these will definitely make or break a concourse car.

Definitely will be up someone’s alley.
It is not about “getting it”... We do. When I saw G70 I lost interest, as factory was F70. I haven’t got my documentation in front of me, but I’m not aware of the G70x14 as being installed on these car’s from the factory. Someone here will confirm one way or the other.

At the concourse level, this would be a big deal...

I believe the conversion is  195 vs 205 (F and G). 

Regardless, nice tires solely for a car that sit’s on a trailer and at a show.

Would those tires even have a date code? When did DOT start putting date codes on tires anyway? My car came with an original 14" tire as a spare but it was really dry rotted and the local tire shop couldnt find anything that resembled a date on it.

All tires have a date code

Too bad no use to Boss owners (me)

Even worse this wasn't sold PRE Corona Virus (to the GM crowd)

THE VALUE of 50+ year old tires are not to "people that drive cars" - rather for rolling art. Not uncommon to have 2 or 3 sets of tires for cars when you get the highest level.

Mark

P.S. I remember at SAAC 27 watch a wife and 3 kids, use carpet samples to "help dad, roll a car out of a trailer" (and not get stones in the treads). I LAUGHED then.....but knowing that 5 NOS tires sold for $42.5 in 2018 I get it now!

While not as detailed as what is used today there is a way to identify the date of manufacture of most vintage tires. The tire identification number used for tires produced prior to 2000 was based on the assumption that most tires would not have a service life of more than ten years. Since bias-ply tires of the '60s and '70s era were not known for the mileage and wear of the radial tires we have now (especially on performance cars) the date system used then was adequate. The tire manufacturers were required to provide the same information as you see on today's tires, so the system in place then used the last three digits in the DOT code on the sidewall. The first two digits identified the week a tire was manufactured immediately preceded by a single digit used to identify the year. So using the prior to 2000 formula, "022" from Ricard's sidewall picture would be a tire manufactured in the second week of 72? or 82? I have no idea how long Firestone offered this tire as a service replacement. Unfortunately, prior to 2000, there was no identifier in place that confirmed which decade the tire was manufactured. I was told by a tire rep that some tires produced in the 1990s had a small triangle following the Tire Identification Number to identify the decade.  Since 2000, the week and year the tire was produced is determined by the last four digits of the Tire Identification Number. The first 2 digits identify the week and the last 2 digits identify the year.

This tire was never production installed on any Mustang or Cougar. The F60x15 tire was the largest offered on the first generation cars. The G70x14 tire was an optional tire starting in 1970 in the Torino/Montego line. In fact of the three Gran Torino Sport cars I owned over time, all were equipped with Magnums and had G70x14 white lettered Firestone wide ovals as the OE Tire. As Hemikiller posted, this would be a great tire to make the Torino/Montego forum members aware of. While I would not use these on a daily or occasional driver, they would be perfect for a Concourse level Torino/Montego/Cyclone show car.

My first new car, a write me a ticket red 72 Gran Torino Sport with the G70x14 Firestone Wide Ovals

Last edited by a moderator:
Back in the day the Firestone had a reputation for blowing out. When I ordered my Mach 1 I specified Goodyear brand for that reason and it states that on the window sticker. My brother in law had a Camaro that came with the Firestone and had a couple fail on it. 

Like stated you need to find the right person for them to get top dollar. 

What kills tires is UV light I have several original tires some as old as 70 years old they hold air and someone wanting original might pay a bonus for yours.

When I took my Mach 1 to the only MCA National show I will ever go to I paid $120 each for NOS Goodyear RWL that I bought from Bob Perkins in 1982. They sat there flat on the dirt for 37 years and were never driven on. When they go flat the sidewall cracks so are just trash now. Wall hangers.

People pay thousands per tire for original blue streak Goodyears like came on AC Cobras.

It's not easy to determine the age of tires made before 2000, all that was shown in the 3-digit date code was the last digit of the year and the week number of the year, no decade number in the code.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11&

You will have to research the dates that that style, model and size of tire was made to try to narrow it down.

Hey guys thanks for all the replies! I honestly didn’t k ow so much about tires... being an 87 model myself these tires are typically long out of service by the year of my birth lol.

I will definitely check out the Torino montego forums!

I use to own a 70 cyclone GT but I had no idea what tires were on it?

Any other cars you guys think they would be right for? Other brands? GM, dodge?

As always, Cheers!!

Hey guys thanks for all the replies! I honestly didn’t k ow so much about tires... being an 87 model myself these tires are typically long out of service by the year of my birth lol.

I will definitely check out the Torino montego forums!

I use to own a 70 cyclone GT but I had no idea what tires were on it?

Any other cars you guys think they would be right for? Other brands? GM, dodge?

As always, Cheers!!
Simplest way might be to look up tire inflation decals through a Google search. 

I can say that the Mopar B-bodies came with G70-14 as an option, as well as the GM A bodies. 

Keep in mind your target audience for these is someone with a high dollar 100 point car. Repops are $250+, research carefully and price yours accordingly.

Old tires lots of times do not have to hold air. They put foam in them. Trailer queens and museum cars love them, run flats. Are there bar codes on the labels? That can clue you in also. Not the best tire but hard to find tire. Nobody going to run down the road 90 mph just want original.

Do not sell quick find the right buyer. Just like original hoses and belts. If original way better for a museum car than repo.

Back