Not a video, but a story on 71 Mustangs

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Grande will undergo three phase build process. Phase 1 is complete (driver). Phase 2 is interior/exterior restoration. Phase 3 is ++ performance.
I always love to see 71's in the color combo of mine. The comments were as expected and the ones calling it ugly probably drive a newer lookalike every four-door car made now. When people call them ugly, I find their taste ugly and like the fact that that mentality has kept our cars more affordable. Also, with plenty of ignorant comments tells you the intelligence of many of the commenters

It is weird with these cars, they got that bum rap when they were new that they were heavy and big and that's all the old guys remember. True or not, there are tons of American muscles cars that are heavy and huge. Without fault, whenever I'm out and about, some old guy will feel compelled to display their expertise in it by saying something like "nice car, too bad it's so heavy". First, have you seen the driver? Next there's more to the story of these things than it's weight. I think it's telling that kids and young people love it as they just see it for what it is and not for some articles written 50 years ago.

And I wholeheartedly agree with @mjseakan. I've learned to just appreciate cars for what they are and people passion for them even if they aren't my cup of tea. If I'm going to say anything, it'll be a compliment of some kind.

Last edited:
I like Cougars, but in the old days, they were thought of as big and heavy because they were only compared to the Mustang. They would have been considered small if compared to the Charger or Chevelle. The new Mustang is heavier and looks bigger than my Cougar.

Attachments

• 20220910_112451.jpg
    20220910_112451.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 1
I like Cougars, but in the old days, they were thought of as big and heavy because they were only compared to the Mustang. They would have been considered small if compared to the Charger or Chevelle. The new Mustang is heavier and looks bigger than my Cougar.
Well, truly they were a little heavier than Mustangs, but not really all that larger in reality. But, they looked larger. Often they were ordered with more optional creature comforts than Mustangs (power windows and power door locks). I always liked Cougars, but preferred the sportier look of a Mustang back in the day (70s). Now, while it is Mustangs and Shelbys we have, I appreciate the First Generation Cougars more than ever. One of the best cars I ever had (and I have had some nice cars) was a 1978 Cougar XR-7. I sure wish I had it now. Life happens...

Back