NPD Greed

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 "Q" code Mach 1
NPD is just greedy. I wanted to purchase a pair of hood springs for my Mach1. I don't take issue with the price of the springs. Taking in consideration the manufacturing costs vs the limited number of buyers, they are quite reasonable. But the $32 shipping charge is ludicrous. This was quoted over the phone by Brad. (BTW the NPD website said $29.65?) I also take umbrage with the "offer" of spending more to reach a total $300 to get free shipping. If I had wanted to spend over $300 that would have been my choice. I’m not going to be coerced into adding to my order just to avoid their outrageous shipping fees.

Just for giggles, I looked up the cost to send a package, at retail rates, weighing a guesstimated 12#. (I’m fairly certain NPD gets a better rate than retail). From Canton, Michigan to West Chester, OH would cost $17.88
So, retail cost at UPS - $17+ NPD /UPS - $32.00+

Luckily, I don't need the springs that bad! But evidently NPD needs that extra $15 real bad. LOL

I am not a cheapskate but I do like to be judicious with the $$ I have to spend on my hobby. That includes not being “jabbed” with excessive shipping rates.

OK I've managed to waste time that should have been used to work on my car. But this kinda put a burr under my saddle.

Sometimes, not every NPD store has what you want in stock; many times my orders come not from the closest facility.

I live near the NPD in Orlando, so shipping is not an issue.. That being said, I've noticed other parts companies doing the same thing. I ordered a trunk lid spare tire and jack decal for my Torino..A piece of paper that sticks to the underside of the lid.. $6.24 for shipping.. It could have been slipped into an envelope and mailed for 49 cents.. Ebay sellers are doing the same thing to keep their fees down.. They charge outrageous shipping prices for low priced items to pull you in, then slap you with high shipping. Ebay also offers discounted shipping rates, so that says it all.. Go figure... !!

Springs are heavy, shipping is expensive. I don’t think $32 is out of line. I paid $26 to ship a steering wheel….NPD’s minimum shipping doesn’t always make sense for small purchases, but I wouldn’t call them greedy myself, they have eaten $ a few times on my orders, and have great customer service!

None of my sub-$300 orders ever cost more than $15 to ship. I went to see what it would cost to me and there's something up with the shipping system, it keeps giving me and error on the ZIP code.

1679059464827.png

Well I live in SW Ontario and about 1 1/2 hrs away from Canton Mi. Not that I've needed to go there to buy anything in the last few years, but for me shipping from NPD is no longer realistic because they only ship UPS to Canada ( I wanted a small item mailed one time and they said they couldn't because someone would have to go to the post office to mail it, however, that was during Covid)). Then UPS charge brokerage fees on top of shipping cost. UPS have had a class action law suit settled against them, but they still charge fees. I have had a couple of checks from the law firm in the past. Then on top of that, we're getting royally screwed over with outrageous exchange rates on our dollar, currently around 38% + I think it is right now when run through Visa etc. Buying anything from the US is just about out for many of us.
Don't forget, any shipper has to cover higher costs. Carboard boxes ain't cheap either and someone has to pack, label and get that item ready to be picked up.
In your case, maybe 15 bucks on top of what you believe is the correct shipping amount, isn't too bad. However, I do feel your pain and frustration.
Someone mentioned buying from eBay. Again, for us eBay only offer international shipping to Canada and many times, the shipping is way more than the cost of the item. I seldom buy anything off eBay unless there is no other choice.
So, to sum up, believe me, you ain't got it that bad in the States.

Last edited:
Ya that’s pretty steep for shipping. I live in Michigan and not to far from their warehouse. They still want 30 bucks to ship here. I’m probably about 30 miles away. That’s a total rip off for the shipping!

Well I live in SW Ontario and about 1 1/2 hrs away from Canton Mi. Not that I've needed to go there to buy anything in the last few years, but for me shipping from NPD is no longer realistic because they only ship UPS to Canada ( I wanted a small item mailed one time and they said they couldn't because someone would have to go to the post office to mail it, however, that was during Covid)). Then UPS charge brokerage fees on top of shipping cost. UPS have had a class action law suit settled against them, but they still charge fees. I have had a couple of checks from the law firm in the past. Then on top of that, we're getting royally screwed over with outrageous exchange rates on our dollar, currently around 38% + I think it is right now when run through Visa etc. Buying anything from the US is just about out for many of us.
Don't forget, any shipper has to cover higher costs. Carboard boxes ain't cheap either and someone has to pack, label and get that item ready to be picked up.
In your case, maybe 15 bucks on top of what you believe is the correct shipping amount, isn't too bad. However, I do feel your pain and frustration.
Someone mentioned buying from eBay. Again, for us eBay only offer international shipping to Canada and many times, the shipping is way more than the cost of the item. I seldom buy anything off eBay unless there is no other choice.
So, to sum up, believe me, you ain't got it that bad in the States. Suck it up.
The many trade restrictions and tariffs between the US and Canada are ridiculous. There should be some priority given to easing trade between the two countries, but no. Some powerful lobbies must be making a lot of money from the restrictions. Chuck

NPD is just greedy. I wanted to purchase a pair of hood springs for my Mach1. I don't take issue with the price of the springs. Taking in consideration the manufacturing costs vs the limited number of buyers, they are quite reasonable. But the $32 shipping charge is ludicrous. This was quoted over the phone by Brad. (BTW the NPD website said $29.65?) I also take umbrage with the "offer" of spending more to reach a total $300 to get free shipping. If I had wanted to spend over $300 that would have been my choice. I’m not going to be coerced into adding to my order just to avoid their outrageous shipping fees.

Just for giggles, I looked up the cost to send a package, at retail rates, weighing a guesstimated 12#. (I’m fairly certain NPD gets a better rate than retail). From Canton, Michigan to West Chester, OH would cost $17.88

Luckily, I don't need the springs that bad! But evidently NPD needs that extra $15 real bad. LOL

I am not a cheapskate but I do like to be judicious with the $$ I have to spend on my hobby. That includes not being “jabbed” with excessive shipping rates.

OK I've managed to waste time that should have been used to work on my car. But this kinda put a burr under my saddle.
Yep NPD, CJ pony and Classic ind all 3 have lost sales from me on smaller items due to shipping. Most recently grill mounting hardware, the shipping prices were more than the part. I ended bringing a bolt to a place that sells bolts and fasteners instead of getting the original bolts. I've ended up purchasing other items on Ebay. I buy and sell auto parts and ship items weekly, shipping prices were raised during Covid and not brought back down. I just shipped the door and front fender chrome molding 4 pcs total of 2 lbs boxed 43.00. to NY. NY has very rural areas though. Mustang deck lid over 100 to ship. UPS is a lil cheaper than Fed Ex (items up the 150lbs) & USPS the cheapest on small items 5lbs and under. Needless to say, I'm getting hammered on shipping. I have my own boxes, or fab them for exact fit and make my own crates for items over 150lbs. Freight Forward air Dominion etc.

The many trade restrictions and tariffs between the US and Canada are ridiculous. There should be some priority given to easing trade between the two countries, but no. Some powerful lobbies must be making a lot of money from the restrictions. Chuck
Chuck, ain't that the truth!! I totally agree.
NOT to get into politics, but your current government with it's "buy American" policy, will further widen the gap between our two countries. This is especially true for the Auto industry now it's going "electric". It should be "Buy North American" and that includes Mexico. Get the F out of China!!
In Windsor, they have already started building a HUGE EV battery plant. and Volkswagon have just announced plans to build their own battery plant in St Thomas Ontario. Obviously, these batteries will be sold and used in the US as well as car plants in Canada. So I guess we'll see how the policies work out.

re: but your current government with it's "buy American" policy, will further widen the gap between our two countries. hhhhhmmmmm Current administration w/ it's anti-America policies.

A lot of the price increases seem to be coming from the various carriers. I accidentally shipped a piece of equipment to our house in Woodland Hills, CA, as opposed to our NY home (Pittsford, NY (Rochester suburb). It was from an Amazon order, so as an Amazon Prime subscriber the shipping was art not additional fee (not the same as free). I checked on the cost to ship it back to my NY home and was shocked at the FedEx fees!

Here are their rates for a 2 pound box measuring 8 x 5 x 5:
1679067336291.png

re: but your current government with it's "buy American" policy, will further widen the gap between our two countries. hhhhhmmmmm Current administration w/ it's anti-America policies.
I said NOT to be political........... but I guess I did open that can of worms!
Let's leave it at that.

Springs are heavy, shipping is expensive. I don’t think $32 is out of line. I paid $26 to ship a steering wheel….NPD’s minimum shipping doesn’t always make sense for small purchases, but I wouldn’t call them greedy myself, they have eaten $ a few times on my orders, and have great customer service!
I stand by my post. They are rapacious and arrogant. Customer service? Ha!

I'm on a cell phone, so can't thumb a proper defense until Monday. "Rapacious and Greedy"?? We take a 6-figure loss on shipping.. MONTHLY. Companies who charge shipping at a loss compensate with product pricing, it's a shell game. And I can't tell you how many years and thousands we invested in those correct flat-coil springs.

Shipping has indeed become outrageous. But that is to fund-forward the capacity to shoulder our world's obsession with shipping everything to their doorstep.

I've been doing this for 40 years now. First time I've been accused of being a virtual rapist.

I can break it down better when I can type.

Rick
NPD

A little commentary on shipping from someone that deals with it professionally and as a side thing.
To keep things simple, most companies only deal with one shipping service so they only have one shipping records system to keep track of. We use UPS solely at work. There are many items I could ship cheaper thru USPS Flat Rate Priority Mail (up to 70lbs), but our work software is integrated with UPS Worldship. We could probably integrate that as well, but then we start to get confusion on what was shipped with whom and multiple shipping pickups. It's easier with one service pick up but you are limited to their rates and not making a special trip to the post office for some packages.

However, in my side thing, I kind of wheel and deal in odd stuff for fun and profit (my bank account says 'mostly fun'). I do not get special rates like we do at work. Here is what I know...if you live in a city/town UPS and FedEx can be cheaper than USPS, but if you live further out or fully rural, USPS is cheaper. The reason seems to be that UPS and FedEx are highly efficient on their regular routes and within a certain range of their facilities. Outside of that the price goes up fast because they make fewer deliveries on longer, non-optimum routes. USPS is cheaper for deliveries further out because they are going to drive by every single building in this country every single day anyway.

I have found some interesting aspects to all this. Some shipping rates are not based on the weight, size or cost of your item. They are based on the size of the boxes the vendor stocks. The bigger the box, the higher the rate, I have received stuff from vendors that takes up less than a quarter of the box volume and the rest is air bag packing or wadded up paper. To put this in perspective, I happened upon a quantity of a particular item a few years ago. I found that a 18x18x18 box from Lowe's could hold 8 of the items with much room to spare. I shipped a box of them to somewhere in MI. The cost was about $53. I charged the customer actual shipping plus a couple bucks for the box. He reorderd the same amount again. This time I was short on packing, so I cut the box and folded it to 18x18x16. This time shipping was like $44. That extra 2 inches of air cost another $9 to ship. Lesson learned. Unless I am using a flat rate box, I pack as tight as I can with enough packing to guarantee no damage if dropped.

Not that it matters, but here's my .02 cents.... For shipping costs, NPD is no worse than any other supplier. Shipping is expensive, and any vendor they use if going to have positives and negatives in their cost structure, just as detritus maximus says. NPD is, however, one the best overall for good parts, and their customer service makes up for it on shipping some items.

I FULLY understand not liking the price, especially with today's supply chain issues. Those problems affect everybody - but really, let's keep a little perspective, the name-calling is just unnecessary. I will live with the idiosyncrasies of shipping costs if it means I can rely on the part or the vendor will stand behind what they sell.

Last edited:
Back