NZ Vert Rebuild

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ballaratcastle

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible. Just imported from the USA as an unfinished project.
[url=https://ibb.co/gXU4Qy][img]https://preview.ibb.co/f0tW5y/Mustang.jpg[/img][/url]
Hi all 

Thought I would thank everyone who has helped me with my project so far. Had no knowledge where everything went on my muzzy and especially wish to thank Don for answering a lot of my stupid questions. 

The car is coming along and I am racing the clock to have her 90% finished and certified and on the road for our annual "NZ Beach Hop" classic/muscle car gathering. 

She is nearly fully drivable. Initial rebuild startup overheating issues hopefully sorted. Exhaust done, Windscreen being done at the moment. A few bits to bolt on and off for compliance. Mach 1 graphics done. Bonnet graphic width done according to the experts on here (2 inches from bonnet strip to pin stripe not 3, 2 inches either side of bonnet bulge!) 

Only thing left to sort via help from you guys is some photos showing how the weatherstripping and sunvisors attach around the windshield fittings. 

Attached are some photos of the car.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking great and like the wheels

Hopefully you get it on the road soon, seems to take forever
Cheers

I had the rims powder coated. I found out they are actually mercury grande marquis 16" rims (were on the car when I got it)

Hi mate.

Cheers. The white seats arent my favourite either but they are what came with the car. Bit light on funds at this stage to swap them out. A black convertible thunderbird owner raves about the white seats as they stay relatively cool with the top down. I am thinking of having them professionally sprayed in a dark red (seats only not seat and quarter panels) to match the tail lights to really make the car stand out. The red replacement covers on the US mustang sites seem to be bright red (vermillion red) so will see. Just rushing to get her complied by the end of March and changes will come slowly after that!

If you don't like the white seats why not just dye them black?

My coupe came with white/blue olympic seats so I just painted them and came out fine, also freshened up the door trims

Make sure you use only the best vinyl dye SEM in Landau black which is a satin black

Also get their vinyl prep and you should use their plastic adhesion primer for the plastic parts, I used a cheaper brand to do the plastic seat backing and it doesn't stick as well

Also important you scrub clean everything prior to paint prep including the piping

Expensive stuff but would not use anything else and you can buy in NZ

If you don't like the white seats why not just dye them black?

My coupe came with white/blue olympic seats so I just painted them and came out fine, also freshened up the door trims

Make sure you use only the best vinyl dye SEM in Landau black which is a satin black

Also get their vinyl prep and you should use their plastic adhesion primer for the plastic parts, I used a cheaper brand to do the plastic seat backing and it doesn't stick as well

Also important you scrub clean everything prior to paint prep including the piping

Expensive stuff but would not use anything else and you can buy in NZ
I have purchased the black plastic seat backs and new black standard door cards (you might call them door panels) and had the rear quarters vinyl sprayed black as well. 

I used the vinyl cleaner and have the plastic prep stuff too as I re-painted the main gauge plastic inner black too. will try a small bit of dark red fabric first like a seat cover to see if I like that otherwise they will end up black.

So she is finally off for compliance here in NZ. Unfortunately my park brake isn't ratcheting properly. I have new cables and she won't ratchet under tension. I unbolted it (after a mission dropping the vent box out of the way to get to one bolt) and when the cable is unattached it seems to ratchet ok. Other than replacing the whole mechanism with a dynacorn one from CJ pony parts $79 USD is there any simple solution (new tension spring etc ) I can tell compliance workshop as s working handbrake is a requirement here. All vehicles earlier than 2000 have a 6 monthly warrant of fitness check. Post 2000 is annual.

Steve - Can you pull / push the cable from inside the car to prove that it is moving freely ? Could be twisted or jammed underneath. If it's ratcheting O K without the load, the problem would seem to be the cable set up. You mention new tension spring but you should be able to move the cable back & forth to mirror this action to start with. The W o F guys probably need to test it so an explanation may not satisfy them. Dig a bit deeper first.

Good work.

PKJ

Steve -  Can you pull / push the cable from inside the car to prove that it is moving freely ? Could be twisted or jammed underneath.  If it's ratcheting O K without the load, the problem would seem to be the cable set up.  You mention new tension spring but you should be able to move the cable back & forth to mirror this action to start with.   The W o F guys probably need to test it so an explanation may not satisfy them.  Dig a bit deeper first.

Good work.

PKJ
The cable seemed right. I unwound the adjuster under the car out fully (the spring on thread) but couldn't pull it up enough to release the ball on the end of the cable out of the saddle on the brake mechanism until I unbolted the whole pedal mechanism.

Back