Obsidian71 2013 TAIL LIGHT INSTALL

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
as for the backup lights, you can mix red and white LED's on a board in the center section, and when the white LEDs are called for the red in the center turn off, otherwise they are all red, just a thought.

you can use a relay's normally open/normally closed points to archive this, and the backup lights to switch the signal from red to white.

You said you used Plexiglas, In my VAST..... experience I would recommend using lexan, it wont yellow or get brittle over time, also lexan is more screw and cut friendly without the cracking that plex has. As far as paint you want to make sure it's something that is made for plastics, Not the Krylon stuff either, but an automotive grade for plastic bumpers, or Pactra paint thats made for lexan, is fuel proof and flexible. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0095p?FVPROFIL=&FVSEARCH=pactra&search=Go

You said you used Plexiglas, In my VAST..... experience I would recommend using lexan, it wont yellow or get brittle over time, also lexan is more screw and cut friendly without the cracking that plex has. As far as paint you want to make sure it's something that is made for plastics, Not the Krylon stuff either, but an automotive grade for plastic bumpers, or Pactra paint thats made for lexan, is fuel proof and flexible. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0095p?FVPROFIL=&FVSEARCH=pactra&search=Go
I actually used a product called duraplex high strength acrylic sheet..Plexi was a generic term I use...Sikkins transparent red toner (basic candy apple) with a touch of flex additive...Thanks for the tips info though

101_0373.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually used a product called duraplex high strength acrylic sheet..Plexi was a generic term I use...Sikkins transparent red toner (basic candy apple) with a touch of flex additive...Thanks for the tips info though
looks like your all over it!

It looks like it would work really well with a sequential light setup with all 3 lenses red

Last edited by a moderator:
as for the backup lights, you can mix red and white LED's on a board in the center section, and when the white LEDs are called for the red in the center turn off, otherwise they are all red, just a thought.

you can use a relay's normally open/normally closed points to archive this, and the backup lights to switch the signal from red to white.
That's the plan, I'm still waiting on a circuit board to get started on the LEDs. It's going to be a little interesting because the clear openings are a little small but I'll manage.

That's the plan, I'm still waiting on a circuit board to get started on the LEDs. It's going to be a little interesting because the clear openings are a little small but I'll manage.
I think the tough part will be the center opening, since you're going to stagger red and white LEDs... it's probably gonna get a little tight in there. Good luck and have fun with that! ;) :D

Curiousity though - what are you thinking on how to light up the 'rings?' I'm wondering if a trio of incandescents in the normal locations wired up to the parking lights would take car of that (since they'd be hidden by the LED boards, all they would illuminate should be the rings) - as noticed by the picture of Q's installation. Just a thought to maybe keep the cost and complexity down.

Also, any idea on how to mount the circuit boards inside the housings? I'm thinking the simplest way would be to come up with some kind of pedestal that fits into the original bulb locations (for simplicity).

Don't mind me and my musings, J - I know you're going to come up with something cool... just can't wait to see it all come together. ::thumb::

I think the tough part will be the center opening, since you're going to stagger red and white LEDs... it's probably gonna get a little tight in there. Good luck and have fun with that! ;) :D

Curiousity though - what are you thinking on how to light up the 'rings?' I'm wondering if a trio of incandescents in the normal locations wired up to the parking lights would take car of that (since they'd be hidden by the LED boards, all they would illuminate should be the rings) - as noticed by the picture of Q's installation. Just a thought to maybe keep the cost and complexity down.

Also, any idea on how to mount the circuit boards inside the housings? I'm thinking the simplest way would be to come up with some kind of pedestal that fits into the original bulb locations (for simplicity).

Don't mind me and my musings, J - I know you're going to come up with something cool... just can't wait to see it all come together. ::thumb::
I found some bi-color red/white LEDs so I'll give them a try. As for the parking light rings, I was planning on something similar but with red LEDs instead. Sorry for the delay guys, I'm really chomping at the bit to get the circuit board.

The J I'm sure you have looked at the 2013 tail lights but maybe someone has smacked one up by now and you can get a board from a junkyard. I was just thinking for research on the white/red LEDs and the halos. it looks like the halos are the parking/running lights and the center three are the brake/signal. The center lens is back up/brake/signal.

here is a link to the tail light back up light in action

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1JAoW4fWVAQ

This is also odd the halos look like direct LEDs in this video but have looked like conventional incandescent or led run from a reflector on other cars.

Just food for thought and again I'm sure you have already been obsessing over the lights like I have. This is a VERY COOL project and I'm looking forward to seeing them in person.

I found some bi-color red/white LEDs so I'll give them a try. As for the parking light rings, I was planning on something similar but with red LEDs instead. Sorry for the delay guys, I'm really chomping at the bit to get the circuit board.

They look great! I have a set of Sequential LED boards mounted in my buckets that came from mustangsnorthwest.org and you could see how his boards are notched and velcroed into the buckets. You might even be able to use his "system" or logic to get over any bumps that you are still having regarding the LED Boards. Just a thought or idea.

DrDew

They look great! I have a set of Sequential LED boards mounted in my buckets that came from mustangsnorthwest.org and you could see how his boards are notched and velcroed into the buckets. You might even be able to use his "system" or logic to get over any bumps that you are still having regarding the LED Boards. Just a thought or idea.

DrDew
Well to be honest with you, I think I have everything figured out I just have to get everything soldered up and go from there. Thanks for the suggestion though.

J

I would be most pleased to put a set of your 3 red led lights into the tail lights. No need for sequential or back up, I will wire separate back ups. Love the look. You guys have stuck to it and made a great addition to our mustangs. Please advise of price and approx when available.

Jenny

Hi, my name is Angelo. I just joined the site yesterday and I have to say its because of your killer tail light design. I'm blown away by the vision and skill level! How do I get you to make me a set of those bad boys for my project.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back