OEM AM/FM radio repair

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 Q code
2007 GT
1969 Cougar Eliminator B302
CSX 7000 Shelby Cobra FIA
2020 Edge ST
2002 F250 V10
Does anyone have experience with having the original radio repaired? If so, please share how it worked out. My radio has decided to play only at barely audible levels ( I tried a different antenna).
Thanks, Chuck

All the companies I checked out said gutting the internals and replacing with modern components was what they’ll do. Also, they wanted big $ and the wait was months. I got a Retrosound unit that very much matches the old one. Quick delivery, reasonable $ and relatively easy installation

Yeah I'd like to just install a modern replacement but, it is a concours driven gold car that I'm considering selling. Chuck

Does anyone have experience with having the original radio repaired? If so, please share how it worked out. My radio has decided to play only at barely audible levels ( I tried a different antenna).
Thanks, Chuck
Is it am or am-fm? I repaired an am-fm that I bought for parts, even though my car came factory am.
Have you opened it? You might get lucky and have a broke solder joint.

Thanks, Chuck
Sorry just reviewed title am-fm 😊

Yes it does. Chuck
The most likely suspect is an electrolytic capacitor that has failed. My first thought was a dirty potentiometer, but because it makes a change in the volume, and you didn't mention crackling while turning the knob, it's more likely electronic than mechanical. I used to have some old radio schematics, but don't know what happened to them, probably in the bottom of a box I haven't opened in years. Without repair schematics and test points the only way I would be able to repair one would be to remove and test components one by one, so it's understandable why they cost so much to repair, takes many hours to find a bad $2 component and replace it.

Hi Chuck,

I have had two car radios repaired by Retro Radio Restoration in Elizabethtown, PA. https://retroradio.biz/.
1st one was my AM/FM stereo in my 1973 Grande. It took a couple months if I remember to get it back, they go to most of the Carlisle, PA car shows so I dropped it off there to them. I didn't put it back in the car right away as it was in the middle of a total restoration. When the radio is done, they call you give them credit card info and they ship it back. It's been working well since I got the car back on the road a couple years ago. I had mine restored original, but he does offer to put modern electronics in them as well. Keeps the original look on the outside.
The other radio, I had restored by them was my 1958 Plymouth Fury Search tune AM radio back to original. It's been playing a lot better than it was.
I had good luck with them, it's just Mike and his wife that own the company. Mike does all the original restorations and I believe they have another employee that does the modern upgrades.

Michael

Back