Oil capacity

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
I have a Grabber Lime Boss 351. The added bonus is it has a Gear Vendor overdrive for added drive-ability.
I changed my oil today and when I refilled the oil I checked the dipstick (d1zx-6750-ba) and it read full after 5 quarts. I haven't started it yet but the filter isn't going to hold a quart. I thought this took 6 quarts.

I changed my oil today and when I refilled the oil I checked the dipstick (d1zx-6750-ba) and it read full after 5 quarts. I haven't started it yet but the filter isn't going to hold a quart. I thought this took 6 quarts.

Nope. It's a vintage 5 quarter.

Your DIZX-6750-BA is a D1ZZ-6750-B dip stick which is correct and calibrated for 6 quarts for a Boss 351. Whether it held a quart or not, Ford oil change capacities always allowed for 1 quart for the filter. So the oil change specification chart given to shop oil change tech's would show 4 quart's, 5 with filter when changing the oil on a standard 351 and 6 with filter on yours. :)

+1 on 6 quarts. The pan capacity is the same on all stock 351C pans. Ford revised the dipstick calibration for the Boss. I've run 6 quarts in every stock pan Cleveland I've owned without any problem. Ford did a similar thing for Boss 302 and 428CJ/SCJ circa 05/70. Chuck

Really? If I fill with 5 quarts run the engine let it settle back and check the oil after a change (oil and filter) it is right on the money full. If I added another quart it would be over the full line on the dip stick. So you're basically saying I should be running 6 quarts?

I would not overfill the crankcase, no reason to. If the oil gets up to the level that the crank throws hits the oil it foams the oil which is not good. That is another reason they went to dry sump systems for racing to keep the crank out of the oil. Did the boss not also have a windage tray not in Q and H codes? When racing carts we would sometimes drain all the oil out for the qualifying lap. Took the resistance of the crank hitting the oil out and you would gain a tenth or so on lap time. When racing we never ran but half the capacity for same reason it puts resistance in. If it was good to have extra oil Ford would have said to put 6 in sells more oil.

Just my experience.

I would not overfill the crankcase, no reason to. If the oil gets up to the level that the crank throws hits the oil it foams the oil which is not good. That is another reason they went to dry sump systems for racing to keep the crank out of the oil. Did the boss not also have a windage tray not in Q and H codes? When racing carts we would sometimes drain all the oil out for the qualifying lap. Took the resistance of the crank hitting the oil out and you would gain a tenth or so on lap time. When racing we never ran but half the capacity for same reason it puts resistance in. If it was good to have extra oil Ford would have said to put 6 in sells more oil.

Just my experience.
The Boss dipstick is re-calibrated to show full at 6 quarts. Oil drain back (lack there of) at extended high RPM use is the issue. If the non-Boss engine is being used like a Boss engine, I'd use the oil capacity for a Boss engine. Better still, increase the pan capacity. Ford did the same for Boss 302 and 428 CJ/SCJ. Not doing this cost me a Boss 302 rebuild in 1972. Chuck

Screen Shot 2016-04-27 at 10.04.07 AM.png

I just changed the oil last weekend and I put in 5 quarts with a filter just like the Ford manuals say too. I started the motor and let it run then checked the stick and it's full. I've always done it this way for 32 yrs. As far as I know MOST Ford V8's use 5 US. quarts with a filter and 4 without. Unless they have been fitted with a special oil pan for racing or some other application. I can't speak for special racing engine's like the Boss 429 and such. I did own a 1998 F150 that used 7 quarts with a filter but that is the only Ford engine I have personally owned that use more then 5 quarts.

Last edited by a moderator:
So as to not step on any toes, I'll just say what you run in your car is your preference. If you had a Ford passenger car that was not equipped with a performance engine (428 CJ/SCJ, 429 CJ/SCJ, BOSS 302,351,429) then the factory fill was 5 quarts WITH filter. As Chuck had posted Ford knew these engines were getting flogged within an inch of their lives on a typical night and the flow of oil drain back was beginning to become a problem. The warranty claims on blown engines with bottom damage was proving that out. The chart from the factory bulletin he posted shows the increase to 7 quarts WITH filter and the new dipstick calibrated to reflect the new requirement. It's anyone's guess how to how many of these vehicles owners actually bothered to get the new calibration dip stick. I had a 72 "N" code Gran Torino Sport with a crossbred 429 CJ/Police Interceptor with a 70 Torino SCJ oil cooler. I had to run 8 quarts in that set up but had the DOOZ-6750-B revised dipstick so the oil level always showed correctly.

Ford did use some windage trays on the 428 and Boss 302 which helped those engines live longer. Some of the other engine families ran baffles in the pan.

The 98 F150 mrmach1 mentioned had V8's that were part of the 4.6, 5.4, 6.8 modular engine family and did take extra oil. Which was also good for oil sales when your oil change tech's changed oil non-stop for 8 hours! Lol

Simply put, as all Clevelands go 6 Quarts with filter for HO and Boss 5 quarts with filter all others. The oil pan capacity on all Clevelands is the same they just changed the dip stick calibration for the HO and Boss. End of story and Amen.

Just my experience.
I no more than read your post and sat down to watch Road kill. They dyno tested a engine with 1 qrt low on oil from a full oil pan. It was exactly as you say. The gain was 5 to 20 hp difference due to no foaming affecting lifter compression.

Good posting !  Carolina_Mountain_Mustangs

Back