Oil Drain Plug, 429 SCJ

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Ford Mustang Mach 1, 429 Super Cobra Jet, 4.11, Detroit Locker
I have special ordered oil drain plugs for my 71 429 SCJ from Dorman and they do not fit with precision.
Anyone find a source for these oil drain plugs that actually work well? Would appreciate the help. Thanks.

I had a similar problem. My drain plug had a plastic washer and it always had a small leak. I replaced with a copper crush washer but that leaked worse. A new drain plug that was supposed to fit was too small. I ended up getting a washer from Autozone that had a rubber insert and I am now drip free. BTW, I replaced the washer without draining the oil by attaching a vacuum cleaner to the oil fill opening, not a drop was lost, though it was kinda a worry that power would drop of the hose would become dislodged.

https://www.autozone.com/external-e...sket-652746/203034_361654_0?searchText=652746

Went to NAPA and obtained a self-tapping, oversized 1/2 inch drain plug with washer. Worked perfectly. Was able to tighten up the self-tapping screw to torque specifications. Really tight. And saved all of the precious, Valvoline Racing Oil with zinc.

Back