OK, now I am stumped, no crank

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 "Q Code"
So my 73 Mach 1 351 Cleveland has been starting and running pretty good, the last couple days I even added the ram air ( another thread to be started because I have a petronix billet distributor) and it was running good tonight. I adjusted the initial timing to 13 and it was starting good and idling in Park around 1000 ( I have a Elgin P-954 cam and Summit 750 CFM Carb), drive about 700. I shut if off to tighten up the distributor and the went to start it and absolutely no crank. I have power and headlight work. The ignition switch is new but always seemed to be kind of flakey even though I used the proper method per manual to adjust it (never had the 1 click back from lock for accessory power even though it does go 1 click back). I swapped the new starter solenoid with a known good but used starter solenoid. I previously changed the cable to the starter and added a heat shield cover over the cable to protect it from the headers. Everything has been good up till now and any advice is appreciated. I will try again tomorrow morning when everything has cooled down to see if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance.

Tom

Sheriff41

Reaction score
My Car
72 Mustang Q-code
Can you get it to crank with a remote starter switch (jumps the solenoid)?

Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1, 351c 4v, C6 trans, grabber blue with white interior
Thats happened a couple of times in mine also. I realize that now after stopping, to make sure the shift level actually clicks into P. The car should also start when shifter is in N also, correct?

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 "Q Code"
Yes it should start in neutral as well. I will be trying to adjust my neutral safety switch again later today. Thanks for the advice to make sure it clicks in Park, hopefully I can get it squared away today.

Tom