Old Mid America Shelby Meet pics

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Boss 351
1971 Mustang Sportsroof
1972 Q Code 4-speed conv.
I believe these pics were taken about 1981. I have a bunch an old friend located.

He is allowing me to scan them and post.

Here are two we found of the caravan up to Tulsa Shelby Meet from OKC.

My convertible and white Boss are in these pics. Convertible's original side stripes look 'washed-out' in the pic :mad: but they were on there then and STILL ARE.

Two pewter Boss 351's are also in the pics.

Shelby Meet caravan crop a.jpg

Shelby Meet caravan crop.jpg

Many more pics to scan and post. Most of pics are of the 'other' Mustangs and many Shelby's and Cobras - back before there were too many kit cars or clone/tribute/fakes!

Ray

Nice! You don't see that (overhere) anymore. Meetings will display rows of 60's and 90's or newer Mustangs these days but very few 70's and 80's ones. Love seeing pics from those days, not just the Mustangs but also the other cars and the people and buildings in the photos.

Thanks for sharing :)

Great pics and notes from the 80's. One of the most memorable things they bring to mind is that period was when most owners actually drove their cars (and flogged them) and then displayed them as they were after a quick wipe down. Most cars were original, kept as clean as possible considering the considerable driving they often did. To see all those Boss 351's lined up is an extremely rare event these days -- especially since most were probably driven long distances to participate.

I have too many acquaintances these days who are afraid to drive their show cars more than 10 miles from their garage. They continually express amazement that I actually will drive my cars a couple hundred miles for a weekend show or (gasp!) put the pedal to the metal on occasion, not to mention the sin of driving in the rain when it happens. One of the things I appreciate more than anything else is meeting owners who drive their cars hundreds of miles (and more) to participate in a show and are as proud as the way it looks as they are about that it performs as well or better than when it left the factory.

Keep 'em coming.

1982 Mid America

Hallett Road Race Course on Friday, Tulsa Drag Strip on Saturday then car show on Sunday! The way it was...

Some Photoshop fun of me at Hallett.

Mid America Shelby Meet 1982_Hallett_psfun.jpg

Here is the original pic:

boss hallett.jpg

Staging lane Tulsa Drag Strip - Yes that 22 year old punk is ME with my GF at the time.

Ray Tulsa Sh4elby Meet 1982 ____ (2) best.jpg

Burnout/staging

Ray Tulsa Sh4elby Meet 1982 best (2) 1.jpg

Ray Tulsa Sh4elby Meet 1982 best 2.jpg

Ray Tulsa Sh4elby Meet 1982 __ (2) best 3.jpg

After a few disappointing passes turned a 14.79 @104.9

Serious traction problems associated with the Firestone SS Radials that day! The bump in the track didn't help either. BTW I went though the light on that14.78 pass at 7200 rpm in third gear. Didn't have the opportunity to get it into 4th! Tough day for me and my drag racing! I really preferred the road racing.

Here the Boss parked after making the passes. Time to start clean-up and get ready for banquet with guest speakers and then car show on Sunday! Notice the incorrect pop-down gas cap. I was 22 years old! ---Cut me some slack. :) Didn't know much at all! But I sure thought I did! :cool:

Boss 1982 after drag racing RESIZE.jpg

I'll post more as soon as possible.

Ray

Hey Ray, question for you.

Fully support the drag racing and using them as intended but I'm curious if you knew how rare they were or if you thought they would ever be worth something.........

Fully support the drag racing and using them as intended but I'm curious if you knew how rare they were or if you thought they would ever be worth something.........
Times were sure different. We knew they were rare. Not as much specific rarity as we know now. Now I know my Boss is one of 1806 and my convertible one of 201.

Now a new 6 cyl Mustang has similar power to the Boss and more than the convertible. Not to mention the performance level of the new(er) GT and new Shelby Mustangs. Back then there were very few newer 'performance vehicles'. Even though people try and call cars built after 73 muscle cars - for the most part, they are terribly mistaken. Even the 73 Mustangs were showing signs of bogged - down performance. 1974+ Camaro Z-28's, Firebird Trans Ams, Mustangs etc. were very oversmogged and underpowered vehicles as equipped when new. AKA DOGS as compared to a 71 Boss or 429 CJ/SCJ Mustang - etc...

If you wanted performance the older true muscle cars filled the bill. Young kids, working and living at home could get a decent muscle car for $1000 or less. I remember buying a nice 1966 Mustang 2+2 for $450. We repainted and sold it for $800. Paint job cost under $100 and looked great. All kinds of cars were out there and available. My first car was a 69 SS 396. Gave about $200 for it wholesale because it had been traded in for a new 1975 Maverick. Many cool cars were out there for sale. That environment is what made the Shelby American Club the first choice for Ford enthusiasts. It was where the Performance Fords showed up IN FORCE. Again - times were very different.

Ray

Times were sure different. We knew they were rare. Not as much specific rarity as we know now. Now I know my Boss is one of 1806 and my convertible one of 201.

Now a new 6 cyl Mustang has similar power to the Boss and more than the convertible. Not to mention the performance level of the new(er) GT and new Shelby Mustangs. Back then there were very few newer 'performance vehicles'. Even though people try and call cars built after 73 muscle cars - for the most part, they are terribly mistaken. Even the 73 Mustangs were showing signs of bogged - down performance. 1974+ Camaro Z-28's, Firebird Trans Ams, Mustangs etc. were very oversmogged and underpowered vehicles as equipped when new. AKA DOGS as compared to a 71 Boss or 429 CJ/SCJ Mustang - etc...

If you wanted performance the older true muscle cars filled the bill. Young kids, working and living at home could get a decent muscle car for $1000 or less. I remember buying a nice 1966 Mustang 2+2 for $450. We repainted and sold it for $800. Paint job cost under $100 and looked great. All kinds of cars were out there and available. My first car was a 69 SS 396. Gave about $200 for it wholesale because it had been traded in for a new 1975 Maverick. Many cool cars were out there for sale. That environment is what made the Shelby American Club the first choice for Ford enthusiasts. It was where the Performance Fords showed up IN FORCE. Again - times were very different.

Ray
Yeah Ray,

I agree with you there. I remember when i first drove my '73 Vert with a completely stock 302 factory motor in it. You put your foot to the floor and nothing happened.:-/ Really no decent power there at all.

In fact, i think the 1973 302 Windsor V8 motor was the weakest 302 ever made from '65 to '73. Needless to say, i ended up doing some basic mods to it and that improved the power greatly.

Greg.:-/

Ray,

Although I arrived on the muscle car scene a little late in the 80's you could still pick up good muscle cars for a song. I bought a 67 Shelby for $2200, a 69 Boss 302 for $600 and a 70 428 CJ for $900 just to name a few. Sold the Shelby but luckily kept the other two plus a few others i picked up along the way.

SAAC conventions have really changed that's for sure.......

I have posted a ton more pics on my Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/ray.cantwell.7

Look under Photos/Albums

If you are not in my Friends List you may be unable to view. Just message me on there and I will add you.

Dang there are a bunch of pics but the comments and sharing makes it all worth it! I have a bunch more to scan and post!

Ray

I have posted a ton more pics on my Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/ray.cantwell.7

Look under Photos/Albums

If you are not in my Friends List you may be unable to view. Just message me on there and I will add you.

Dang there are a bunch of pics but the comments and sharing makes it all worth it! I have a bunch more to scan and post!

Ray

Sorry Ray,

I will miss out as i don't participate in Facebook.

Greg.:-/

Back