OMG! $88,000!!! I've sold 2 convertibles in this color 10 times nicer than this car for $25,000 and $35,000 in the past 8 years !!!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pre pandenmic, I used to go to Barrett Jackson in Las Vegas like clockwork. Used to be held at mandalay bay in late sept/ early oct (which was a great time to go....when the weather up here starts to change. to snow).

they changed the timing, which doesnt work well the rest of the boys, so haven’t been back.

some cars seem to go very cheap, others very expensive....without much reasoning why (At least to me). Some of the cars (when you get close) had terrible paint jobs (runs etc), but looked great from farther away.

seems like we may be at a peak for car prices...at least based on the fears of a recession in the stock market...as if the economy turns upside down, i suspect car prices will drop.

No A/C. No documentation at all. An H code advertised as a 4V. It may be a brown 6 cylinder car for all we know. Believe me. I have cars I would sell, and no, I haven't sold one in 2022, but by God, I will run my next one through BJ if I get a chance. I have real quality cars. Great documentation, rare options, great colors, low mileage, original paint, all numbers matching, you name it. No longer will I give them away. I invested the time and money. I deserve to be rewarded like these aholes.

I was kind of wondering the same thing (if everything is legit - Marti Report and VIN being not available, of course) because it's an obvious repaint. The Tutone on the hood isn't 'factory correct,' the stripes are crooked, and I'd wager that it was not a Magnums, stripes & spoilers car... Ram Air, maybe (at least the hood locks are there). Could it be an M-Code being passed off as an R-Code? Did '72 R-Codes come with factory Ram Air, or was it just the '73 R-Codes that couldn't get Ram Air? If the '72 did come with Ram Air, would the hood decals just say 'Ram Air' like the Boss 351s, or would they have had the full '351 Ram Air' lettering?

Lots of questions on this one... nothing super major looks wrong, just details that might've been overlooked or incorrect [for that kind of money].

I was kind of wondering the same thing (if everything is legit - Marti Report and VIN being not available, of course) because it's an obvious repaint. The Tutone on the hood isn't 'factory correct,' the stripes are crooked, and I'd wager that it was not a Magnums, stripes & spoilers car... Ram Air, maybe (at least the hood locks are there). Could it be an M-Code being passed off as an R-Code? Did '72 R-Codes come with factory Ram Air, or was it just the '73 R-Codes that couldn't get Ram Air? If the '72 did come with Ram Air, would the hood decals just say 'Ram Air' like the Boss 351s, or would they have had the full '351 Ram Air' lettering?

Lots of questions on this one... nothing super major looks wrong, just details that might've been overlooked or incorrect [for that kind of money].
It was documented as an H code and he posted the VIN so no questions there. 351C-2V. He added a 4V (probably original 2V heads with an aftermarket 2V to 4V intake, about $200. He added repro Ram Air, about $500. It probably doesn't have the folddown or he would have taken pictures of it. He says it comes with a Marti but he doesn't post pictures of it. The price is like you would expect from an R code, but no it is an H code. This guy made out like a bandit and I want that to be me next time I sell one of my cars!

It was documented as an H code and he posted the VIN so no questions there. 351C-2V. He added a 4V (probably original 2V heads with an aftermarket 2V to 4V intake, about $200. He added repro Ram Air, about $500. It probably doesn't have the folddown or he would have taken pictures of it. He says it comes with a Marti but he doesn't post pictures of it. The price is like you would expect from an R code, but no it is an H code. This guy made out like a bandit and I want that to be me next time I sell one of my cars!
Aha! So there was some fudgery going on. I'll bet most of the cosmetic things that make that car's appearance were 'owner added' then - at least it didn't have side molding AND stripes (Man, that drives me nuts).

I hate when that happens, not because it's changing the car, but because of the dishonesty involved. It sure looks like a nice car, but a really nice H-Code only warrants around one-third of the sale price, depending on how solid the restoration was. That guy knew enough about what the high-end, collectible 7173s are going for, and did just enough to lure in some unsuspecting buyer. And of course B-J's not going to point that out because the higher the hammer price, the more commission they get.

Hey, if someone wants my cobbled-back-together '71/'72 H-Code restomod for that kind of money, I'll put whatever stickers on the air cleaner that makes 'em happy and jack the price to the sky. At least the door skins, hood, roof, and transmission hump are still original. LOL!!

thing about auctions is who’s there with the money and what they want, and what knowledge they have. You could go to auction one day and get nothing for a car, while the next day could bring more than you could imagine. Just because there’s a lot of people out there with more money then they know what to do with doesn’t mean they are smart. They are certainly welcome to come my way! Lol

I believe the Barret Jackson and Mecum (and other auction houses) have artificially inflated the prices of muscle cars over the years.. I attended one in Kissimmee, Fl., 2 years ago and just enjoyed the show because of the crazy prices the cars were selling for.. No way I was going to bid on one after being in the business most of my life..When all of us babyboomers are gone, who will want one of these cars anyway? The younger generation doesn't know how to maintain them and they are more apt to get a newer factory, turn key performance car..

Aren't there also other costs that make it higher that was paid like buyer premium etc.. I know bright lime is desirable, but with green interior? Never could get used to that combo and I'm a green fan. I would rather have my 73 convertible in it's present condition that I'm selling than that car for the same price. Mine is less than 1/3 of the price. I fail to see what is so special about it, but two drunk bidders with money.

Last edited:
That would be the second one with that combo I've seen. Here's the first:

1971_ford_mustang_mach_1+front_view.jpg

Could you post a picture of it? I would love to see it.
I have owed and sold two of the original 1972 Convertibles originally in Bright Lime. There were originally 37 with black interior, 52 with green interior, and 121 with white interior. The two I owned had white interior and were in incredible condition. Both were H code 351C 2V cars. I only have pictures of one and that is the car referenced by 72MustangSprint. It is the center car in my profile picture. I will post more pictures. It had white interior. I will also post pictures of a car I sold too cheap that was a nice 73 Medium Bright Yellow that I cloned out as a 72 Bright Lime car. That's the one with Black interior. IMG-7607.JPG102_0170.JPG102_0171.JPG102_0171.JPG102_0174.JPG102_0174.JPGIMG-7607.JPG102_0170.JPG102_0171.JPG102_0174.JPGIMG-6960.JPGIMG_1701.JPGlime 73 745.JPGlime 73 746.JPGlime 73 754.JPGlime 73 760.JPGlime 73 769.JPG002.JPG005.JPGlime 73 742.JPGlime 73 741.JPGlime 73 738.JPGlime 73 736.JPGlime 73 709.JPGlime 73 642.JPGlime 73 695.JPG022.JPGlime 73 118.JPGlime 73 563.JPGIMG-7607.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1739.JPG
    IMG_1739.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
Back