OMG! A 38 miles 1973!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's pretty cool. Only downside is you can't actually drive this car as you turn it into a 4038 miles car within a year or two.

So when did the radio aerial get installed in the rear fender and the factory aerial hole at the front get filled & painted?

Also is that black paint inside the air cleaner over the factory Blue?

Last edited by a moderator:
So when did the radio aerial get installed in the rear fender and the factory aerial hole at the front get filled & painted?

Antennas were installed at the dealer, holes and all. Maybe that's where the customer wanted it.

Inside air cleaners were black. The blue is over spray. Over spray is not uncommon. especially on non-visible areas. The underside of the car usually had body and primer over spray too.

Here is a screenshot of the brand new 71 Mach 1 from the movie "Diamonds Are Forever", showing over spray under car.

new71under.jpg

Antennas were installed at the dealer, holes and all. Maybe that's where the customer wanted it.

Inside air cleaners were black. The blue is over spray. Over spray is not uncommon. especially on non-visible areas. The underside of the car usually had body and primer over spray too.

Here is a screenshot of the brand new 71 Mach 1 from the movie "Diamonds Are Forever", showing over spray under car.

new71under.jpg
So are you saying air cleaners were painted Black then Blue? What was the point of that? Not so economical for Ford who went to great lengths painting other engine bay items with left over paint (Slop Gray)

Also are you stating all Radio antennae were dealer fitted including drilling of holes?..

new71under.jpg
So are you saying air cleaners were painted Black then Blue? What was the point of that? Not so economical for Ford who went to great lengths painting other engine bay items with left over paint (Slop Gray)

Also are you stating all Radio antennae were dealer fitted including drilling of holes?..
Yes, that's what I am saying.

Perhaps the air cleaners came from the supplier in semi-gloss black. Every un-restored air cleaner I have ever seen was black on the inside, including the under-side of lid.

Antennas were all placed in the car's trunks at the factory with a template and instructions for installation at the dealer. MCA head Judge, Bob Perkins also confirms this.

There is not much slop gray on 71-73 cars, just the hood latch bracket, headlight housing L brackets and shock tower braces. Although this can also be close to black.

You know, that's just one beautiful car. The wiring near the starter relay looks ... pristine. I bet Midlife is drooling over it.

KR

Dave is correct on the radio antenna. Only high end cars like T-Bird's or Lincoln's that had a radio as standard equipment had the antenna installed at the factory. Everything else from LTD's to the lowly Pinto had the antenna hole drilled at the dealer if the car was ordered with some type of radio. An antenna kit which included a fender template was placed in the trunk along with any other loose items such as floor mats etc. Tech at dealer I was at tried to give me a stack of the templates he had accumulated over the years. Of course I said "Who would want those"? Guess that goes under the heading of "If I had only known"

Back