Once again, Help! Car won't shut off

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
-Former 70 & 72 Mustang coupes owner.
-69 Torino GT, Formal Roof, 351W, Edelbrock 600 cfm, dual plane high rise intake, long tube headers, AOD trans, dual flowmasters, Pertronix II Billet, 3.5 TRACLOC g/r, 15" Magnum 500s, 100A alt, mini-starter
-70 Mach 1, 351W, FMX
Gugrus,

This is on my 1970 coupe but the starter cylinder is the same as 71-73. I replaced my starter cylinder since I changed the door locks and I had no issue turning the car off. Everything was fine as I continued on other projects. My horns don't work so I pulled one off of my 72 and tried blowing it but after a minute or two I noticed the horn plate from the Grant Steering wheel was pretty hot. I tried to turn the car off and no luck. The cylinder disengages but the car keeps running.

I pulled the steering wheel off and pulled out the cylinder. A few sattempts of slamming it back in and turning the switch off turned it off. All the wiring and everything looks fine. Still though when I start her whe won't turn off unless I pull the cylinder and fiddle with turning it off a few times. I eventually had to disconnect the wires from the Solenoid to get her to quit running.

I tried the old cylinder and the same thing happened. I replaced the solenoid with a known good (well, 3 yrs ago it was good) and the same thing happened. Is it possible I fired the ignition switch when I tried the new horn or something?

As always gentlemen, I appreciate any comments you might have and I'll be standing by.

KR

I had the same problem. Make sure you have a good ground to the frame on the starter soleniod. If not it could very well be the ignition switch is worn out?

matrixx,

Roger on the ground. I saw your post and verified all my grounds. I cleaned them up and reapplied dielectric grease. I even got another (3rd Solenoid) from Autozone JUST to make sure it wasn't that as well. I'll return it but the problem remains.

Rocketman Bob...when you say out of adjustment...what do you mean? Like...fried...or can it be fixed? I think I'll do some discovery learning...hopefully I don't jack it up even worse.

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:
Bob is the man and Bob is right. My Ignition Switch was falling apart when I finally got the steering column cover off. I zip tied it together but a ball bearing fell out just before that. I tried it again with the same result...car wouldn't shut off. Seconds later we had a flash flood hit us (I knew it was coming all day) when I was working on it so I had to pause for the night.

I'll reattack at dawn and report but unfortunately the 70 mustang ignition switch is a one-off so they don't mass produce them like the others.

-KR

is the 70 cougar switch the same you can buy those nos but they are expensive.

It's definitely the same switch...expensive is an understatement. Thankfully a guy owns a mustang graveyard 2.5 hr north of me and he has one pulled.

All the major parts manufacturers sell what they claim is a 70 ignition switch, but it is not. Most are 71-73s.

I tried adjusting the 7/16s bolts but the internal mechanism inside is jacked up and falling apart. I took it apart a few times with no luck. One popular fix is to get a 71-73 switch and splice the wires. Oh well...I'll post how it turns out later. I ordered a 71-73 switch for my 72 so I can at least try getting her working until the mustang graveyard part arrives at the end of this week.

-KR

The 70 ignition switch was bad and I got one from a Mustang graveyard in North Carolina for $50.

I replaced the ignition switch on my 72 and 70 in the same week. Interestingly, the 70 ignition switch went out completely and the 72 was going out. While reading posts I heard someone mention that his radio would stay on after he turned the car off and pulled the key.

Anyway, the problem I had with the 70 coupe not turning off was the ignition switch which is right on top of the steering column under the cover. The 72's switch is further back toward the brake pedal. Neither were that tough to swap out but definitely a bit of a pain.

Back