One more competition suspension question? Different shock holders?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graham Man

Reaction score
My Car
1972 351Q Mach
1971 302 Fastback
Just when I thought I knew what I was talking about....

One on the left is 1972 competition suspension.... most likely. One on the right is normal 1972.

Did Ford add the 1" lowering CS with more room for the shocks?

Thanks in advance...most people are complete "fill in the blank" talking about 123 Mustangs. Guess I have been on the owners list longer than most. Bought my first one when I was 16....long time ago.

1972 competition suspension.jpg

So the one on the left is not 1971-3 part.

Thanks again

Someone retrofitted 68-70 Mustang shock tower caps to the one on the left. I've done this on mine so I could use Koni shocks and, yes, I have the competition suspension from the factory.
I have not heard of doing this...can you give more detail?

I have not heard of doing this...can you give more detail?
Sure. The selection of shocks available for the earlier Mustangs is better than what is available for the 71-73 Mustangs. The lower mounts are the same for all years 65-73 but in 71 the top mount was changed to the threaded post style. By changing the shock tower cap to the 68-70 style, you can fit shocks designed for the earlier Mustangs to our cars. For me, since there is a larger selection of shocks on the market for the early cars, this allowed a selection of Koni shocks, that aren't available for 71-73 Mustangs but are for 1970 Mustangs, for my 72 Mustang. This retrofit can be easily reversed back to factory original by simply re-installing the original shock tower caps and original style shocks.

Thank you! That makes sense.

Sure. The selection of shocks available for the earlier Mustangs is better than what is available for the 71-73 Mustangs. The lower mounts are the same for all years 65-73 but in 71 the top mount was changed to the threaded post style. By changing the shock tower cap to the 68-70 style, you can fit shocks designed for the earlier Mustangs to our cars. For me, since there is a larger selection of shocks on the market for the early cars, this allowed a selection of Koni shocks, that aren't available for 71-73 Mustangs but are for 1970 Mustangs, for my 72 Mustang. This retrofit can be easily reversed back to factory original by simply re-installing the original shock tower caps and original style shocks.
Any downside such as bottoming out or anything else ?

Back