One of these things is not like the other

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mister 4x4

Too Big to Sneak
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1
So, here's something odd:

I went to a car show yesterday, had some fun, took some pics of the Mustang, and posted this later in the day.

First car show I was able to make it to so far this season - man, what a scorcher with no shade.  Took my new golf umbrella (OK - so what I do on a course can't be called "golf," so it's my new 'Car Show' umbrella in reality), and just chilled in the self-made shade.

Even though the Balloon Fest was a bust (they were grounded because it was too windy), we were thankful for the breeze sitting out in the stadium parking lot.  Lots of cool cars showed up, including a 2012 Challenger Interceptor brought by a Texas State Trooper (seized vehicle, re-purposed as a recruitment/awareness show car - it was awesome!)!

Here's my entry - an old junky '71 Mach 1 :D .

attachment.php

And here's my view for the day (never get tired of looking at it)

attachment.php

There's another one next week, but it's in a car stealership parking lot... with 'no shade' once again.  If the temps are under 90, I might go... I'm not holding my breath, though.
No, this isn't a double post just to boost my ego of having more pictures of my car displayed.   rofl

My wife just pointed out to me that I have two different license plates on my car.  The DMV screwed up, and issued me 2 consecutive plates, rather than 2 identical plates... and I totally didn't even notice when I was putting them on the car... in 2016.  WTF?!

I guess I'll be printing these pics and visiting the DMV Registration Office tomorrow at lunchtime to figure out what to do.  I'm sure they'll wind up changing my registration and issuing me new plates... but DAMN!  I guess I was just so happy to get plates on the car that I didn't even notice.

Anybody else ever had this happen before?

So, here's something odd:

I went to a car show yesterday, had some fun, took some pics of the Mustang, and posted this later in the day.

First car show I was able to make it to so far this season - man, what a scorcher with no shade.  Took my new golf umbrella (OK - so what I do on a course can't be called "golf," so it's my new 'Car Show' umbrella in reality), and just chilled in the self-made shade.

Even though the Balloon Fest was a bust (they were grounded because it was too windy), we were thankful for the breeze sitting out in the stadium parking lot.  Lots of cool cars showed up, including a 2012 Challenger Interceptor brought by a Texas State Trooper (seized vehicle, re-purposed as a recruitment/awareness show car - it was awesome!)!

Here's my entry - an old junky '71 Mach 1 :D .

attachment.php

And here's my view for the day (never get tired of looking at it)

attachment.php

There's another one next week, but it's in a car stealership parking lot... with 'no shade' once again.  If the temps are under 90, I might go... I'm not holding my breath, though.
No, this isn't a double post just to boost my ego of having more pictures of my car displayed.   rofl

My wife just pointed out to me that I have two different license plates on my car.  The DMV screwed up, and issued me 2 consecutive plates, rather than 2 identical plates... and I totally didn't even notice when I was putting them on the car... in 2016.  WTF?!

I guess I'll be printing these pics and visiting the DMV Registration Office tomorrow at lunchtime to figure out what to do.  I'm sure they'll wind up changing my registration and issuing me new plates... but DAMN!  I guess I was just so happy to get plates on the car that I didn't even notice.

Anybody else ever had this happen before?
That is sooooooo funnnnnnyyyyyy  ::thumb::

I know why: your car was sectioned between the front and rear halves.

Good thing Sheriff Buford T Justice didn't stop you while in Hot Pursuit through Texas. You "Coulda Been in a Heap of Trouble Boy"!! Having two different tags on the same car is not germane to the situation! [emoji600]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The car is so fast the 12 can't catch the 13..

Here in AZ front plates are not required. They did this to save money. They actually only issue one plate UNLESS you get Historic Vechicle plates, then they issue you two since all of these plates are already made. AZ Historic places, by law, must be made from AZ copper.

So I have one on the car and one in a folder along with a bunch of receipts and stuff.

That is funny! A year on the car and never noticed it. Thank goodness for wives, they bring us back down to earth every now and then. The problem is the landing from 100 to 0 in 0 feet.

Yeah... I wish we only had rear plates in Texas.  I remember loving having only the rear plate in New Mexico as well.  It just makes more sense to only have the single plate - talking to some LEO friends, they don't even give the front plate a second look - they're more concerned with the rear plate.  If you have [a front] one, that's all they're concerned with on an initial observation - if they actually pull you over, it'll become a 'rider' charge... but they're not looking specifically for that as a reason to pull anybody over.

Texas is moving to 'no more vehicle safety inspections,' hopefully sometime later this year.  I'm hoping they'll eliminate the front plates soon as well.  I'd much rather toss my 7173Mustangs plate back on the front as well. ::thumb::

I wonder who might be driving around with your other plate not realizing they have the same problem! Hopefully they are not jumping toll booths and parking illegally.

My niece is married to a Highway patrolman. He had a friend that received tickets from the cameras they use to have in Charlotte. He lives here 100 miles away and had not been to charlotte. Turned out two vehicles had the same tag numbers and N.C. only gives you one plate.

i was at a local car show the other day and guy was selling old plates. I ask him what a matched pair of 1950 N.C. Aluminum plates was worth. He immediately said that N.C. did not make any aluminum plates that early. Said he was member of some club and knew all the details. I went back home and got the plates and took back. He was speechless said he had never heard of them being made and never seen them that early in Aluminum.

I know, right?  I'd thought about that, too - but my registration sticker is tied to the 'HFG 8912' plate, they 'HFG 8913' would be the registration issued to the next guy - but you know how things work some times... I've probably just been lucky that the other 'HFG 8912' plate-owner hasn't gotten in trouble all this time. ;)

When I checked with the DMV yesterday, they didn't indicate any issues.  They said to scrape off my current sticker, bring it in, and they'd issue me new plates and registration - no charge, since I just renewed like 2 months ago.

So - that's the lunchtime plan: run to the DMV, get the new plates and sticker, and swap it all out this coming weekend.

Success!

Went to the DMV, told my story, mentioned the lady's name I spoke to yesterday, and the clerk took my printed pictures and this year's sticker to her supervisor.  She came back giggling, like she and her supervisor had been laughing.  I asked what was so funny, she said, "Oh, it's not you.  We just saw who processed the plates when you received them - you're not the only one this has happened to."  Then she mentioned that I should consider getting Classic Car plates... I said I wasn't interested based on the mileage restrictions, to which she responded that the mileage restrictions only apply to "Antique plates" - "Classic Plates" just say 'Classic Car,' and that's it... no differences in cost or restrictions from standard registration.  OK - that's like the fifth different story I've heard regarding the differences between Classic and Antique registration (even the website actually says there are differences).  Nah - I'll just stick with regular plates.

Got my plates, got a new sticker, got the Ram washed, and picked up a couple of street dogs from Weinerschnitzel - all is good.

no charge, since I just renewed like 2 months ago....

@Mr 4x4, Can you explain a bit on the US legislation... you need renew what exactly and when?
No problem.

Vehicle registration is an annual requirement.  Some states require a vehicle safety inspection as part of the registration renewal process (if the car doesn't pass the safety inspection, you don't get to renew the registration).  I don't know about the other states, but since Texas doesn't have a state income tax, vehicle registration is a primary income means, so they charge a bit more than other states might, and have all sorts of loopholes to swing in the favor of the state of Texas - meaning that if something happens and you need to renew registration for some reason, you have to do it within a certain timeframe, otherwise, there are penalty fees involved.  Try to renew too soon, and there's some kind of fees for that.  Miss the window, and there are fees for that. 

Since it had only been a few months since I renewed the registration, and it was their mistake, they decided to cut me a break and not charge me (well, it was their error, after all).

Hope that clears it up.

ah ok. similar here except you don't get a sticker, it's coupled to your plate numbers, so called "APK",

Some yearly tech control where they test emissions, breaks, overall body condition, tires, suspensions...

Do you also pay for "road use" in Texas, as we do over here? (71-73 are free, but any cars younger than 1984 pay based on weight)

For my 93 t-bird, it cost like 110 dollars per month.... fu...ers

No... no separate 'road use tax,' per se, that I'm aware of.  They program that into the price of gas, I believe.

Texas state vehicle registration is something like $75 annually.  I know it's cheaper in other states... like I say, Texas has to get creative on how it gets income.  I live in one of the highest property tax paying districts in Texas (not necessarily the highest tax-rate...).  While they might keep the percentage at a relatively average rate, they've cranked up the 'tax appraisal value' of our property by more than double since we've lived here (paid $86.5K in 1997, current tax appraised value is just over $200K - and we've done nothing major to the property in the way of value improvements (aside from the pool and carport).  So, I have a $100K mortgage note (re-fied 4 years ago to pay for the pool and drop the APR), and we're paying almost $4K/yr property taxes.  Greedy bastards.

I get you totally and will not pollute this thread talking about the dutch grand theft... kuz grand it is!

Let's just say you'd be so amazed, you'd wonder why I don't move to Texas right now :D

thx for explaining Mr 4x4!

There are even different requirements within each state. For instance, in Nevada only Reno and Las Vegas residents are required to have annual smog checks. Annual fees aren't bad. I believe every place in California requires annual smog checks and their annual fees are quite high. When we moved there from Nevada I had to take my F150 to a weigh station to have it weighed and then, because it "could" be used for hauling, I had to register it as a commercial vehicle, which really jacked up the fees. I'm surprised they didn't charge us some ridiculous fee for our motorhome, because we could rent it out as an apartment or motel room. Oregon renews for 2 years and only Portland and Medford areas require smog checks, the fees are very reasonable.

Back