One Piece Export/Monte Carlo Brace-Who's interested??

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just to throw in a thought. I would ask PTP what material they would use to fabricate the parts. Regular hot rolled or cold rolled steel has a min. yield of about 25,000. You can double and triple that strength by using the right raw materials. Chrome molly tube and plate would double the strength. Or HSLA Hight Strength Low Alloy welds better than chrome molly and does not require the welds to be annealed to prevent cracks.

When you stiffen up the chassis you for sure will need the suspension to do a better job since you have less body flex the ride could get pretty rough. An example is the Dodge Viper rides like a wagon. With my height I cannot ride in one without turning my head sideways keeps hitting the roof.
Hot roll and cold roll is stronger than that. Hot roll A36 has 36,000 psi yield strength and cold roll 1018 has 54,000 psi yield strength. These are minimums and they tend to be stronger than minimum requirements. DOM tube has 72,000 psi minimum yield strength but I was looking at one of the Material Test Data Sheets for some DOM tube I bought and the batch had yield strength in the 90,000 psi range...::thumb:: This brace can be made to be very strong with these materials.

Chrome moly 4130 is a little weaker than DOM in its normalized state. I've talked to the old timer welders at the industrial supply store I go to and they say to use ERS70-2 wire and heat the 4130 chrome moly tube to take the chill out if it before welding. I have not used chrome moly for anything yet...haven't needed to. 4340 is strong but more difficult to weld and requires pre-heat, post-heat, etc.
It might not be available to you but Domex, from Swedish Steel, is some pretty amazing material. It also welds great. We used it to lighten but strengthen the components in the John Deere combines. They do make DOM tubing here is link to web site, http://www.ssab.com/steelselector. I was a product / process engineer in the automotive and agricultural industry. Also followed the tooling and was an old tool & die maker. Been retired for about 5 years just playing with old cars now.

I just hate to see anyone engineer a product and not take advantage of the latest in the steel market. Take a look might be something you can use to make some killer products with.

Here is a diagram of the dimensions I took from a car. Could someone verify these and provide the dimensions that I don't have shown with a ?

71-73 mustang dimensions.pdf

Attachments

• 71-73 mustang dimensions.pdf
    383.7 KB · Views: 60
I would give you an entire 73 front from the firewall forward that could go in the back of a pickup. Problem is that I am about 600 miles north of you on I5.

Next week I can measure my parts car and get back to you.

Thanks. My wife would do this :mad: if I had that clip laying in the front yard.

I would give you an entire 73 front from the firewall forward that could go in the back of a pickup. Problem is that I am about 600 miles north of you on I5.

Next week I can measure my parts car and get back to you.

I looked at measuring it again, there are a lot of compound angles and I don't think I could get you anything accurate unless it involved a whole mess of measurements.

I do think I could plasma cut out enough of it that it could go fedex ground and still be an accurate template. If you want I can get it cut out in a few weeks, you cover shipping.

I looked at measuring it again, there are a lot of compound angles and I don't think I could get you anything accurate unless it involved a whole mess of measurements.

I do think I could plasma cut out enough of it that it could go fedex ground and still be an accurate template.  If you want I can get it cut out in a few weeks, you cover shipping.

Did this ever make any progress?   I might see if I can start cracking on one for my car in the not so distant future.
I haven't done any more with it.  It would require some more measurements before I could make one.  I have been busy launching a new product...Integrated Strut Arms which consolidated lower control arms with strut rods in one unit.  I've got them on sale for 65-66 Mustang and 62-65 Falcon/Comet.  I'm working on a version that will fit later mustangs, mavericks, comets, fairlanes, torinos, etc and hope to have it on sale soon.  The link to the 65-66 version is here:

Integrated Strut Arms

I built this myself , took the npd monty carlo bar that didnt clear the distributor and made my own custom mounts that bolt under the shock mount and a hole drilled and used a cap bolt for cleaner look , and it works, I can feel the difference on hard cornering,

Back