One thing after another—this car hates me!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
31 Model A Station Wagon “Woody”
69 Mach 1 - 351C
72 Mach 1 - 351C
96 Cobra Convertible
So I have touched almost everything on this car.  Almost—and soon it seems like I won’t be able to even say that anymore.  The power steering pump started groaning yesterday.  I thought it was just a little low a they generally groan when low, so I added fluid while it was hot.  It’s full now, and still groans.  Are rebuilt pumps even available or are there local rebuilders?   Anybody have a good used for sale?  I really think this car hates me.

Patience Grasshopper.  Happiness will follow your persistence.

Seriously,  I often think the same thing.  After 20 yrs of restoring I have had all the crap too.

1) Power Steering - Had the box rebuilt twice since they put a seal in wrong the first time.  Blew a hose, caught the engine on fire from the hot fluid.

2) Lost a dizzy gear on the highway resulting in an oil pump replacement and muffler replacement.

3) Dropped a valve and lost the engine.  Now with supply chain issues the rebuild has been stalled for 3 months because no one can deliver a roller cam.  All this and there is still no salt on the roads this year, so I could have been having fun.

kcmash

They are making new power steering pumps, I bought one and was happy with it, looks identical to the stock OEM one and even has a new reservoir. Not cheap but all new parts. It was a Cardone part number 967054. They also make rebuilt pumps, but I have heard that there are some issues with some the rebuilt parts making noise right out of the box.

If you are going to do this I would buy new hoses and make sure to flush the system thoroughly. I fist flushed the steering box by hooking up the new pressure line and leaving the old return line. Then I  just put air from my compressor into the pressure line and just let all the old fluid come out of the return line into a jug. Then to make certain that there were no contaminants left in the steering box, I put the pump in and hooked everything up, except the return line which was still sitting inside a jug. I filled the power steering pump and cranked the engine, with the coil disconnected, so that the ATF would run through the system and out the return line into the jug. Probably went through a couple of quarts of ATF till the fluid came out nice and clean. I then put the new return line in and hooked everything up. Been flawless since then.

I'm in the same boat as kcmash, new engine build ate a rod bearing and when disassembled, discovered the cam was failing. Been waiting since early September for my replacement, a roller this time. 

As long as you have money it will never end.  You will either be working on it because of a break down or you will be working on it because you have the money to buy the extra's you want.  

I replaced my original power steering pump with a new Cardone. Not happy with it. It's made in China and whines louder than my original.  I'm  probably going to have my original rebuilt. Ryan

Why not rebuild yourself? I have been forced to buy the pulley puller kuz nobody offer this kind of tools or even sizes over here, but I know you can borrow them for free at the many car shops you have.

For the rest, it's only a matter of buying a few dollars kit at cjp, npd etc... and spent 2 hours. Add of course extra hours if you want to paint it/derust the casing and brackets properly.
The kits are complete and it's really easy. Mainly is about cleaning parts very well and put it back same way you put it apart.

Did my 73 years ago, my 71 2 years ago (detailed that in my thread) and no issues. It's pumping, not singing :D Same for the steering box, no rocket science here. Only that stoopid puller tool.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Fabrice.  I rebuilt my power steering pump, as I wasn't impressed with the new and rebuilt units that were out there.  To be honest, I rebuilt the pump twice, because I assembled it incorrectly the first time.  The pump mechanism has a number of slippers that can be a pain to get back in place, if it comes apart.  Mine came apart, and I inserted the slippers upside down.   Once I got the pump back together, it was very difficult to turn.  Removed it, opened it up, and put it together correctly.  Once reinstalled, I checked the rotational resistance and it was well within specs.  

To be honest, rebuilding the power steering pump isn't difficult and with a pulley puller and installer, it's really pretty simple.  

Back