Open Element Oval Air Cleaner with Ram Air Plenum

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Pewter Convertible 351-4V
I stumbled across this car for sale online. I immediately saw the similarities with my current oval open air element setup and then realized this car has a uniquely shaped ram air plenum. Anyone have information on this... what's the origin, it looks purpose built, not a modification to the current round plenums I can find on the market today.

The car is at Nobody's in Keithville, LA.

Any input is appreciated, please and thanks.

Attachments

• CobraRamElement1.jpg
    CobraRamElement1.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 2
  • CobraRamElement2.jpg
    CobraRamElement2.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 1
Personally, I've never seen anything like that as a production piece, but I would guess that somebody with metal working skills has hand crafted it as a one-off custom piece, but I could be wrong.

Definitely a unique design and application. Its so hard to tell from pics, but the shape of the element opening, if it was a cut piece from a standard plenum doesn't look quite right either. I wish I was close enough to see in person.

Personally, I've never seen anything like that as a production piece, but I would guess that somebody with metal working skills has hand crafted it as a one-off custom piece, but I could be wrong.
Thats the asian import plastic plentium isnt it?

Somebody got one of those and a jigsaw.

That installation, it would seem, defeats the whole purpose of the hood. The "ram air" plenum / hood / air cleaner assy, is in fact, not so much as a "ram air" set up as it is a "cool air", or OAI ( outside air induction ). The owner here, I assume digs the look of the hood scoops. He obviously likes the look of the oval air filter assy too, but combined, because the air filter housing is open to under hood heat, and isn't sealed to the hood plenum, this car is receiving neither ram effect or cool air. Like punk music, all attitude and no substance. It looks like there are 2 hoses going to the scoop vacuum doors, not that it will make any difference in performance, but lets hope the car wash and rain showers don't wash down onto the engine if they're not operable. Even if they were, the hood snorkles will only admit cool air to the factory air filter during low vacuum, during acceleration. The factory set up is more efficient......dude . Now, if somebody fabbed a Cowl-induction set up to the grille work behind the rubber hood seal in the cowl, which IS a low pressure area ( a-la Trans Am ), that would be something.

Ah yes, a better picture. For sure just a cut up part, Still, done quite well......... if you like that sort of thing.
That installation, it would seem, defeats the whole purpose of the hood. The "ram air" plenum / hood / air cleaner assy, is in fact, not so much as a "ram air" set up as it is a "cool air", or OAI ( outside air induction ). The owner here, I assume digs the look of the hood scoops. He obviously likes the look of the oval air filter assy too, but combined, because the air filter housing is open to under hood heat, and isn't sealed to the hood plenum, this car is receiving neither ram effect or cool air. Like punk music, all attitude and no substance. It looks like there are 2 hoses going to the scoop vacuum doors, not that it will make any difference in performance, but lets hope the car wash and rain showers don't wash down onto the engine if they're not operable. Even if they were, the hood snorkles will only admit cool air to the factory air filter during low vacuum, during acceleration. The factory set up is more efficient......dude . Now, if somebody fabbed a Cowl-induction set up to the grille work behind the rubber hood seal in the cowl, which IS a low pressure area ( a-la Trans Am ), that would be something.
Holy Analytical Batman !! I agree with Stanglover, I think it's looks cool, and let's face it, the Ram Air was of questionable value anyway. Cool air, yeah maybe, but it's a street driven car for fun, is he really looking to cut a tenth off of his 1/4 mile times, I doubt it. Better than nothing in my book. My 73 didn't come with "ram "air, but I removed the block offs anyway, and drove it in the rain, washed it like it was my job, and never had a problem with water hurting anything under the hood. I plan to do the same with my vert once I get the hood. Looks better open IMHO.

Agreed. There is supposed to be a seal between the plenum and the air cleaner to force or pressurize the cool air into the air cleaner giving you the boost in HP. Otherwise it’s just window dressing.

Last edited:
Back