Opinions on 3sp toploader?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Coupe
2001 Coupe
Planning a manual swap for our 351w and was headed toward a T5, since they're plentiful, inexpensive and we're not planning to push a whole lot of power.

I might have a shot at an original 3speed tranny tomorrow for a really good price, but I'd hate to make a mistake, since I"m not that familiar with them.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Mark

If it was me.....I'd dump the 3spd......tuck it away with all the old parts that you might have and go with the 5spd.

But then again I'm biased as that's what I plan to do with mine.....the 3spd just doesn't cut it when you're out on the road.

Ken

the 5 sp will be much better on fuel milage and depending on gear better drivability. but if ya gonna play hard you can break em. the 3 speed is tough as nails but with out an overdrive will not be fuel effecient and if low geared rear end will spin motor on hwy pretty dang high rpms. the 5 speed gets the nod from me even tho i dont like em lol. but if ya gonna play rough the 3 speed will hang with you. ok im through ramblin .good luck with what ever choice ya make.

Back