Opinions on Global West Subframe connectors?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RIBS

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Sprint Tribute 302 C4 Convertible
I have some flex in the body when I jack the car up, the drivers door gap tends to spread an 1/8 inch at top of door. (71-302 Convertible).

I am wondering if the connectors would help with flex like that…
Also, they look like the only weld front and back, nothing in the middle?
And how low do they hang? How visible are they?

Good bad experiences please!

thanks!
Pic for attention!🤪

Attachments

• 0F5DF2D0-DDEF-4E37-AB03-B97066AE4B23.jpeg
    0F5DF2D0-DDEF-4E37-AB03-B97066AE4B23.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
Mine are the old Global West connectors for convertibles. I'm not sure if they still make them. They weld on front and rear. They definitely add some rigidity to the structure. To clear the convertible supports they run below the floor about an inch. They are visible from the side of the car if you're standing off 25 feet of more. I've never had any clearance issues with them on my car. I recommend them for any convertible other than a concours show car.

I have Global West on my 71. They are well made and work great. The install is fairly easy and if you can weld then that will save you a few bucks. If you do the welding, try to get the car up on a lift to make life easrier welding. As mentioned, make sure the frame is loaded (car sitting or being support by the tires as if on the ground) so when the connectors are welded in place you won't be in for any big surprise when you put the car back down. I like the way they wrap up around the rear frame. As far as ground clearance my exhaust hangs down lower than they do. Here are a few pictures from when I did mine.

20210113_110803.jpg 20210105_115728.jpg Rear.jpg 20210113_101305.jpg Connector.jpg

I have Global West on my 71. They are well made and work great. The install is fairly easy and if you can weld then that will save you a few bucks. If you do the welding, try to get the car up on a lift to make life easrier welding. As mentioned, make sure the frame is loaded (car sitting or being support by the tires as if on the ground) so when the connectors are welded in place you won't be in for any big surprise when you put the car back down. I like the way they wrap up around the rear frame. As far as ground clearance my exhaust hangs down lower than they do. Here are a few pictures from when I did mine.

View attachment 72838 View attachment 72839 View attachment 72841 View attachment 72842 View attachment 72843
Those fit up much better than the ones for the convertibles.

I've had them on my 1969 Cougar since the early 1990s. They fit and do much to remove the flexible flyer nature of the unibody chassis. Chuck

Thanks all for the reply’s…4 thumbs up, 0 down…..😀

Back