Opinions on going EFI

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To me if you move away from stock you will have to work on it,

Either turn wrenches to adjust the carb or push keys to tune efi.

no matter what there is no drop in solution other than having it dyno tuned before you install I agree, it.
"Either turn wrenches to adjust the carb or push keys to tune efi." Exactly, it means I need to learn EFI and I have an expert's help which is a head-start.

A dyno is part of the plan. My carb performs great but before it shipped to Europe to join me, my brother had to take my Edelbrock apart because stored for many years, running it only occasionally the carb was full of varnish and crap and as you'd expect it ran rough as a result. So carbs, even nicely adjusted and running great are not care-free without need to occasionally tinker with. The fact that I am from the Carb generation, it just makes EFI seem more challenging.

I appreciate everyone's comments.

My 2 cents worth from my point of view.
Unless you are driving your Mustang daily and live in an area where you can actually do that, why go EFI? Yes I know there are advantages, that's not in dispute, but the cost of that system over the cost of the bit extra gas and a little more inconvenience, is not something I'd consider when I only drive 5 months a year and then only on days beginning with "S". Beside EFI or more correctly TBI, is old tech from the early 80's. At that time of course, it was the best option and was designed specifically for each vehicle.
A far better solution would be direct port injection and that would entail a manifold with fuel rails, injectors and a throttle body with a MAF sensor. But guess what, it doesn't exist for these cars, but boy, if it did, then that would be something to consider.
However guys, if it's what YOU want, that's your call. I'm just saying it's not for me.

Going EFI is not JUST about stoichiometric air mixture. The options that open up to the DIYers are enormous. My journey started out with wanting turn-key operation but with the addition of an EEC-V from a 2004 Crown Vic I now have, not only, a 500+hp SEFI Cleveland but a 4R70W to increase fuel economy and drive ability. I am upgrading to a 3G alternator that can keep up to electrical requirements so I can upgrade the stereo and add power seats as well and finally have an accurate eye on the charging system with a volt meter instead of the chronically useless Ford ‘fire starting’ ammeter. Adding the ECM really helps with all sorts of diagnostics as well if you have the time and patience to correctly wire it and add in the OBDII as well.

"Either turn wrenches to adjust the carb or push keys to tune efi." Exactly, it means I need to learn EFI and I have an expert's help which is a head-start.

A dyno is part of the plan. My carb performs great but before it shipped to Europe to join me, my brother had to take my Edelbrock apart because stored for many years, running it only occasionally the carb was full of varnish and crap and as you'd expect it ran rough as a result. So carbs, even nicely adjusted and running great are not care-free without need to occasionally tinker with. The fact that I am from the Carb generation, it just makes EFI seem more challenging.

I appreciate everyone's comments.
I just reread your original

Terminator X max should be able to control your transmission.

Just decide on TBI or sequential if you can find the manifold

I like the control I have with my EFI. I do things on the fly such as changing idle speed when in a race day. I have changed AFR when on a dyno. All these from the LCD screen inside the car. I think there are many plus and minuses to each system. As said before, do not buy on the fact that EFI (TBI) will be plug and play. I have tweaked with mine for many hours and it runs very good. There is still room for improvement but it is at 95%.

Well that's interesting! Obviously someone else thinks the way I do. I do see one thing I don't like and that is they appear to have used "gear clamps" on the cross-over line. I would want to change those to compression clamps. This also looks to be a non Ford item though.
Even so, I think I'll stay with the carb.

Well that's interesting! Obviously someone else thinks the way I do. I do see one thing I don't like and that is they appear to have used "gear clamps" on the cross-over line. I would want to change those to compression clamps. This also looks to be a non Ford item though.
Even so, I think I'll stay with the carb.
Yes if you buy their EFI complete kit it comes with a Dodge truck throttle body which looks like it will work fine. For my application however I just bought the ported manifold with fuel rails and asked him to install Deka 80 shorties. I haven’t received it yet because the guy is busier than a one armed paper hanger but it is the last piece I need to get the engine installed and measure out the O2 sensor bungs in the headers.
My project has parts from different aftermarket shops. I have a ‘73 vert that originally just had the regular 2V Cleveland under a plain hood. I purchased the NACA hood and plenum and am going to hide the SEFI inside the air cleaner with a throttle body and MAF from ProM. The only thing giving away the SEFI by looking under the hood will be the fuel rails and Coil on Plugs.

I just reread your original

Terminator X max should be able to control your transmission.

Just decide on TBI or sequential if you can find the manifold
Or just go down to the junkyard and pick up an EEC-V from a 2000-2004 Crown Victoria and use that. Is your tranny a 4R70W? Sorry couldn’t find the info.

Thanks for this info. Although I don't need to I want to upgrade and make the leap installing both the AODE Transmission and EFI. To my benefit, I have a really good shop nearby who works with EFIs on Muscle cars, often. In the past I did all my own work but in this case I will let the experts do it so it comes with a warrantee and if there are glitches they will work on it 'til it's right. Although I don't leave it out of my sight and avoid heavy traffic, I want to drive it and enjoy it.
If you are going EFI you should consider a 4R70W with an Essex bellhousing. You can get a decent one from a 2003-4 Mustang GT with a V-6. Mine is a 2003 and has a port for a cable driven speedo. You can use a 2004 Crown Vic EEC-V to control both the EFI and the tranny. You can even go SEFI if you can find or make an intake manifold to fit fuel rails. There’s much more to the conversation but the options are there. 460EFI Guys sell a pack for just over $4K or you can do it by piecemeal like I have. I have learned a lot and haven’t even started it up yet.

I’m planning on going Holley sniper (2 if it gets good reviews) and hyperspark. Im replacing the stock 2 bbl manifold for a 4 bbl, a brand new carb can run quite a bit in todays market, it isn’t a huge price jump to efi. This will be my moms car so I don’t want to tune it and rely on her experience and sense of a carb and would rather a efi system that should work. I already rebuilt and tuned (still tuning tbh) a quadrajrt for the T/A and don’t want to worry about another carb. From what I’ve seen there aren’t a lot of cases of bad out of the box efis and a lot of the blame can be placed on installation, but who knows. That’s my plan.

Yes if you buy their EFI complete kit it comes with a Dodge truck throttle body which looks like it will work fine. For my application however I just bought the ported manifold with fuel rails and asked him to install Deka 80 shorties. I haven’t received it yet because the guy is busier than a one armed paper hanger but it is the last piece I need to get the engine installed and measure out the O2 sensor bungs in the headers.
My project has parts from different aftermarket shops. I have a ‘73 vert that originally just had the regular 2V Cleveland under a plain hood. I purchased the NACA hood and plenum and am going to hide the SEFI inside the air cleaner with a throttle body and MAF from ProM. The only thing giving away the SEFI by looking under the hood will be the fuel rails and Coil on Plugs.
If I were in the market for a fuel injection upgrade, that is definitely something I'd consider. Why, because I used to work on air induction prototypes, including Chrysler and Ford fuel injection intakes. Back in the early 80's, the hot item was the throttle body injector before modern direct injector systems were developed. They were a definite step up from carbs, but still not the best.
What I'm saying is I have a pretty good understanding of the principles. Much has changed and improved over the last 10 or so years and even TBI systems are way better, but I'd still not go that route. The direct injector system looks to be a much better option, but there are still questions.
I guess this is why so many classics are showing up with Chevy LS swaps. Drop in the entire system and go.
Thanks for posting that info, even though I'll stay with my carb.

Back