Opinions sought - get rid of my '71 and get '73 fastback for $4k?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
'71 Mustang Mach 1 M-code "Soylent Green"
'69 Plymouth Valiant 100
'68 Plymouth Satellite
I've got a bit of a dilemma here - I'm sitting on my M-code '71 right now; a solid car with quite a bit wrong with it - but I got it for $1,500. Now I'm starting to wonder if I'm headed in the right direction, for there is a cobbled-up '73 Sportsroof available locally - and it's straight down to "$4k OBO" from an optimistic $9k earlier this year.

The '71 is an all-original car. The '73 appears nice, but sounds to be a massive cobble job (and it even has a later Ford two-spoke steering wheel).

Nevertheless, $4k for a drivable, rust-free Sportsroof sounds very tempting. I know the '71 will appeal to me more when complete, but given the two options, I'm starting to wonder whether the '73 would simply be more feasible in the long run.

That said, I defer to you gentlemen for advice and opinions. Following are photos and detailed specifications on both cars. Please don't tell me "buy the '73 and keep both," because that's exactly what I'd like to do.

'71 M-code:

• 351C / C6
  • Engine compartment is dirty. Lots of surface rust on some bits, but most of it is clean enough under the grime. Case in point, the intake will probably clean up to a nice original blue.
  • C6 is full of ATF+3 right now. I foresee a tranny rebuild.
  • Repainted at one time; single-stage w/correct decals, looks factory - so much so that I was fooled until I found that the fender bolts under the hood were painted along with the fenders. Hasn't fared well on the roof.
  • Rear quarter panel smashed up, but unibody likely straight.
  • It's an all-original car that hasn't been screwed with, and I bought it from the first owner.
  • Interior is decent, but moldy
  • Marti report checks out on everything but the hubcaps.
  • I like it.
  • Started until 2009. I've turned it over by hand and by the starter, and it spins fine. Haven't taken compression, and I can't get to it again until the radiator hoses are back on it (delayed due to a corroded T-stat tube).
  • I've swapped the carb to a Holley 4160; that's the extent of my modifications.

Pictures:

The good:

7847559366_326b6a434f_b.jpg

The bad:

7847547044_908c4d38f1_b.jpg

The ugly:

7847554490_ec3b98920a_b.jpg

The '73 god-knows-what Sportsroof:

• 351W / Unknown auto tranny, probably FMX
  • Claims to have "302 heads." Doesn't know what he's talking about, and god only knows what was done under the hood.
  • Accel electronic ignition - I'd swap to Duraspark. I like reliability, not aftermarket crap.
  • Claims to have had half a million of the original body panels replaced, INCLUDING the rear quarters, see below:
  • "NEW windshield, weatherstripping, carpet, gauges, headliner, door panels, trunk pan, floor pan, inner fenders..."
  • "...front fenders, rear full quarters, rear panel, rear bumper..."
  • "...front end suspension, rear leaf springs, radiator, water pump."
  • I doubt half of the claims made above, especially the bodywork. With that man panels swapped out, this thing could have started life as a '73 Cougar convertible rofl
  • When I emailed him, he stated the suspension modifications are out of a '71, or are some sort of aftermarket '71 suspension that lowers it an inch from stock. His words, not mine.
  • Claims 425hp at the dyno. Definite BS, but if I cared about horsepower, I wouldn't mess around with a Windsor to start with. I can live with his lie here.
  • Interior is black w/white seats, and at least something about it is a cobble job, for previous pictures have shown that the steering wheel is a later Ford two-spoke with turndowns on each side (think later F150/Econoline/Lincoln)
  • His latest ad betrays a few caveats: Door windows leak, some gauges are not hooked up, doors "could use adjustments to close easier," and the engine runs rough, following a drive in a rainstorm.
  • Paint job looks like $500 special. The only thing I like about it is that it reminds me of Gone in 60 Seconds. Even then, the color is off, the lower black trim is not present...and it is a '73, not a '71 with '73 bits tacked on it, Haliki style.

Pictures:

b4ja1g.jpg

1hc805.jpg

2j17skh.jpg

904x9v.jpg

Mind you, so long as I can bolt the bumper back on it, I intend to drive the '71 with the quarter damage and get as much enjoyment out of it as possible before spending another $2-3k to fix the damage.

That said, what would you fellows suggest? Which is the better car for me to sink my hard-earned dollars into?

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
71-72 tail lights, dura-spark ignition cobbled together, starter relay moved, painted fan shroud, radiator duct on backwards, pront fenders where lower valance bolt up curved inward too far, wrong center caps on Magnums, '73's didn't have magnums, standard grille-not Mach I grill.

These are just the quick things that caught my eye.

Is car serial number 3F05 0r 3F02?? My guess is 3F02F, Fastback with a 302.

Whole car looks to be pieced together to flip it. I'd pass unless other bodywork is top notch.

But in my opinion, if this many cut corners are so obvious, what about the things you can't easily see????

Kurt, I think you already answered you own question within your question. When complete which car would you rather own? Don't settle for less.

I know the '71 will appeal to me more when complete...

'71 M-code:

• 351C / C6
  • C6
  • It's an all-original car that hasn't been screwed with
  • I like it.

The '73 god-knows-what Sportsroof:

• 351W / Unknown auto tranny, probably FMX
  • Claims to have "302 heads." Doesn't know what he's talking about, and god only knows what was done under the hood.
  • Claims to have had half a million of the original body panels replaced, INCLUDING the rear quarters
  • I doubt half of the claims made above, especially the bodywork. With that man panels swapped out, this thing could have started life as a '73 Cougar convertible rofl
  • When I emailed him, he stated the suspension modifications are out of a '71, or are some sort of aftermarket '71 suspension that lowers it an inch from stock. His words, not mine.
  • Claims 425hp at the dyno. Definite BS. I can live with his lie here.
  • Door windows leak, some gauges are not hooked up, doors "could use adjustments to close easier," and the engine runs rough, following a drive in a rainstorm.
  • Paint job looks like $500 special.
    it is a '73, not a '71 with '73 bits tacked on it, Haliki style.

-Kurt
Personally I agree with you. I like the 71 better.

Kurt, I think you already answered you own question within your question. When complete which car would you rather own?
The '71 puts the stupid grin on my face. The '73 would get me around town.

Dammit, there I go again...want, want, want.

-Kurt

Kurt, I think you already answered you own question within your question. When complete which car would you rather own?
The '71 puts the stupid grin on my face. The '73 would get me around town.

Dammit, there I go again...want, want, want.

-Kurt
Step away from craigslist. :p

&1-72 tail lights, dura-spark ignition cobbled together, starter relay moved, painted fan shroud, radiator duct on backwards, pront fenders where lower valance bolt up curved inward too far, wrong center caps on Magnums, '73's didn't have magnums, standard grille-not Mach I grill.
School me a bit here - even though I own one of these things, I'm a bit new at the details. I take it the '73 taillights don't have the black paint in the recess, correct?

Noted the fan shroud, no doubt. Cute touch putting the decal back on the painted shroud.

I don't see the duct though - probably my own ignorance as to what the duct is supposed to look like. Which picture, and what corner of the picture?

I see what you mean about the front fenders. Wasn't there a discussion on this forum that had to do with a reproduction lower valance on the market that's an entire inch too narrow - in which case, someone might have banged the fenders inwards to suit?

These are just the quick things that caught my eye.
Is car serial number 3F05 0r 3F02?? My guess is 3F02F, Fastback with a 302.

Whole car looks to be pieced together to flip it. I'd pass unless other bodywork is top notch.
Have no idea as to the VIN (just sent him an email), but I don't expect it to be a Mach to begin with. Isn't that a 351 in there and not a 302 though? Deck height looks taller than a 302.

Pieced together, no doubt. Haven't seen it, so I can't pass judgement on the bodywork.

But in my opinion, if this many cut corners are so obvious, what about the things you can't easily see????
One of the many things running through my mind about this one. That said - regardless of the cobble job - does this thing have an inherent value in it as-is? I.e., if the price drops to "X," I should scoop it up regardless?

-Kurt

Don nailed it: "Which car would you rather have once it's completed?"

My opinion: Keep the '71 and move forward. You'll most likely wind up spending more money (in the long run) unf00king everything wrong with that '73, than getting the '71 back in shape (when you factor in the purchase price as well).

Even if all you're interested in is a 71-73 fastback-shaped car to tool around in, I still think you're better off just sticking with something that's more 'normal,' than trying to figure out what's 'right' and 'not so right' with a klooged-together 'runner.' It costs more in the long run having to re-do someone's redneck-engineered band-aids than simply replacing stock pieces with stock pieces (or upgrade to performance). Trust me on that. ;)

Run, run away from the 73. You would be going backwards at a tremendous pace. The 71 when done will be worth 2 to 3 times as much money not to mention it is a much better looking and sought after car. Just an opinion. Chuck

Thanks fellows, you've convinced me.

In fact, this thread made me get off my butt and connect up the fuel and remaining vacuum lines to the '71s replacement carb. Just need to get that T-stat tube now.

-Kurt

P.S.: Admittedly though, if that '73 were cheap enough (and if that was a 302 in there and not a 351W), it'd be rather fun to hack it up into a fictional clone of the one-off Boss 302 - particularly as the honeycomb tail panel isn't there. It'd be even more fun to dump a later 5.0 EFI system on it just for kicks. :D

Stick with the 71. It is a more desirable car and you said you got it from the original owner - that counts for a lot. You will be glad that you kept the 71 once you have it drivable. Concentrate on getting into driving condition. You will feel much better about it if it moves under its own power!

Plus that green better fits your 70s wardrobe than the bright yellow.
:goodone:

Truth be told though, if that '73 did fall into my lap, I'd immediately give it the lower blackout treatment (not to mention a Boss 351-style blackout on the back panel). It'd look 10 times better than it does now.

Oh, and someone get it a NASA hood, for crying out loud. That single black stripe up the base hood looks like the car forgot to shave it's crotch, if you get my drift. :whistling:

-Kurt

Back