Opinions sought - get rid of my '71 and get '73 fastback for $4k?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
71-72 tail lights, dura-spark ignition cobbled together, starter relay moved, painted fan shroud, radiator duct on backwards, pront fenders where lower valance bolt up curved inward too far, wrong center caps on Magnums, '73's didn't have magnums, standard grille-not Mach I grill.
School me a bit here - even though I own one of these things, I'm a bit new at the details. I take it the '73 taillights don't have the black paint in the recess, correct? that is correct. The 73's have no black paint on the tail light housings.

Noted the fan shroud, no doubt. Cute touch putting the decal back on the painted shroud.

I don't see the duct though - probably my own ignorance as to what the duct is supposed to look like. Which picture, and what corner of the picture? The pic showing the top of the radiator, there's a rubber flap on the top of it. It should be on the frontmost top lip of the radiator covering the opening between it and the core support, to direct air thru the radiator for proper cooling.

I see what you mean about the front fenders. Wasn't there a discussion on this forum that had to do with a reproduction lower valance on the market that's an entire inch too narrow - in which case, someone might have banged the fenders inwards to suit?

These are just the quick things that caught my eye.
Is car serial number 3F05 0r 3F02?? My guess is 3F02F, Fastback with a 302.

Whole car looks to be pieced together to flip it. I'd pass unless other bodywork is top notch.
Have no idea as to the VIN (just sent him an email), but I don't expect it to be a Mach to begin with. Isn't that a 351 in there and not a 302 though? Deck height looks taller than a 302.

Pieced together, no doubt. Haven't seen it, so I can't pass judgement on the bodywork.

But in my opinion, if this many cut corners are so obvious, what about the things you can't easily see????
One of the many things running through my mind about this one. That said - regardless of the cobble job - does this thing have an inherent value in it as-is? I.e., if the price drops to "X," I should scoop it up regardless?

-Kurt
As others have said, take the $4,000 and put in toward replacing your rear panels on your M code. You'll be much further ahead.

The 73 really does not look that bad and if it were cheaper I would say go for it but as it stands I vote for keeping what you have.

I'd buy the 73, and keep the 71, @ 4,000.00, you could spend a few hundred on some minor paint touches, add Mach 1 stripes and reseal the drip rails and turn it into a much better car. Make some money on it and put into the 71 which is the more desireable car to most.

I would sell me the 71 for 1500.00 go and buy the 73.....:D
roflmao

I took another look at the '71s damage today. It really isn't as bad as it appears, and I dare say that most of the C-pillar - which was pulled out at one spot - can be smoothed by someone skilled with hammer-and-dolly work.

-Kurt

ahhh grasshoppah...... you learn quickly.... when you can snatch a pebble from our hand while changing gears you will truely be a Mushhtangiac :D

*(i dont know how old you are but i dare say the partial quote of Kung FU is older than you are :D:D)

C9ZX, I'm missing something, can you explain to me how the 71 will be worth 2 to 3 times more than a 73 when finished?:dodgy:

C9ZX, I'm missing something, can you explain to me how the 71 will be worth 2 to 3 times more than a 73 when finished?:dodgy:
Well - for starters, a restored matching numbers '71 Mach 1 will always be worth more than a '73 fastback klooge-job. Then add-in: low mileage, 2nd owner, and more original parts and I think your answer is there.

Now - if the '73 was 'matching numbers, low mileage, 2nd owner, more original parts, Mach 1, etc... then the 'values' would be a lot closer.

Just my take on what he said - there's no hate or preferences here, Bro... it's all '71-'73 all the time! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well - for starters' date=' a restored matching numbers '71 Mach 1 will always be worth more than a '73 fastback klooge-job. Then add-in: [b']low mileage[/b], 2nd owner, and more original parts and I think your answer is there.
Can't say that - she's just shy of 103,400 on the clock.

-Kurt

Well - for starters' date=' a restored matching numbers '71 Mach 1 will always be worth more than a '73 fastback klooge-job. Then add-in: [b']low mileage[/b], 2nd owner, and more original parts and I think your answer is there.
Can't say that - she's just shy of 103,400 on the clock.

-Kurt
Technically, still low miles for a '71. ;) (My '97 Dodge Ram has 119K on it, which is low mileage for a '97... but I know what you're saying though).

Technically, still low miles for a '71. ;) (My '97 Dodge Ram has 119K on it, which is low mileage for a '97... but I know what you're saying though).
Reminds me of a 2004 Town Car Executive L that I saw this afternoon. I was able to trace a CARFAX on it from it's VIN. 376k at last recording.

Granted, those 4.6's will do a hell of a lot more than that, but still...

-Kurt

Well - for starters, a restored matching numbers '71 Mach 1 will always be worth more than a '73 fastback klooge-job. Then add-in: low mileage, 2nd owner, and more original parts and I think your answer is there.

Now - if the '73 was 'matching numbers, low mileage, 2nd owner, more original parts, Mach 1, etc... then the 'values' would be a lot closer.

Just my take on what he said - there's no hate or preferences here, Bro... it's all '71-'73 all the time! :)
Right on !!! Not a hater here, I was talking 71 compared to 73. not the basket case 73 compared to a perfect 71. That makes perfect sense.:p

what would you guys call low miles? I figure mine is such at 64,000? opinions?
Mine is at 62,000 and I believe that to be pretty low original miles:)

Back