Options on Marti report

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZIPNZ

Reaction score
My Car
In the market
Good morning all!

I have questions regarding a couple of options that are listed on the Marti report for my '73 Mach (build date of 06/73).

Option: California Emissions Testing (what's this?)

Option: Deluxe Seat Belts (I have the Ginger interior, all of my belts are Ginger in color w/ seatbelt warning connections for front lap belts, is this part of the upgraded seat belt option?. Most 71-73's I see have black seat belts)

Thanks, Paul

California had a more strict EPA requirement so the calibration of the engine is a little different for California. The Deluxe seat belts just had a little fancier buckle nothing fantastic. I think all 73 had the warning light on the dash. Buzzer sounds when you go into gear if drivers belt not fastened and there is a sensor in the passenger seat that makes it buzz if someone sitting there or something heavy in the seat.

I think there was a sticker on side window for the California cars also I have a Calif. vert 73.

California had a more strict EPA requirement so the calibration of the engine is a little different for California. The Deluxe seat belts just had a little fancier buckle nothing fantastic. I think all 73 had the warning light on the dash. Buzzer sounds when you go into gear if drivers belt not fastened and there is a sensor in the passenger seat that makes it buzz if someone sitting there or something heavy in the seat.

I think there was a sticker on side window for the California cars also I have a Calif. vert 73.
Thanks much for your reply. Would you happen to have a pic of the emissions sticker? Any idea if is reproduced? Regarding my seat belts, both the front and rear lap belts in my car are Ginger color. However, one of the previous owners removed the shoulder belts (I had to assume that they were Ginger as well) so I had to look long and hard to find a set of "Ginger' colored shoulder belts (black-not so hard to find). I happened to come across a new NOS Ginger belt assy.

s-l500.jpg
s-l500.jpg

Yes that is the deluxe belts and yes shoulder was ginger also. The convertible did not have the shoulder belt so you loose them as a source. White interiors got black also.

There was a recall on the belts because the plastic collar on the post on the shoulder harness that clips into the seat belt would break and fall off. This is the Ford fix. You rolled on two O-rings and that kept the harness snapped in.

Yes that is the deluxe belts and yes shoulder was ginger also. The convertible did not have the shoulder belt so you loose them as a source. White interiors got black also.

There was a recall on the belts because the plastic collar on the post on the shoulder harness that clips into the seat belt would break and fall off. This is the Ford fix. You rolled on two O-rings and that kept the harness snapped in.

Yep, I've seen that before. ::thumb::

Forgot about the emissions sticker. I have been told they were on the rear side glass on drivers side on California cars only. The biggest producer of stickers is Osborne in Atlanta Ga. He might have I have not looked.

I have never found the right sticker for the valve cover on a 73 California H code.

My white interior has an off white, cream colored seat belt from the factory... I had them restored in the same fashion.

Last edited by a moderator:
To add to what David stated, Deluxe belts were color coordinated to the interior in all four seats, standard belts were all black. All 72 & 73 Mustangs had the seat belt warning system with the light in the passenger side dash and warning buzzer.

Forgot about the emissions sticker. I have been told they were on the rear side glass on drivers side on California cars only. The biggest producer of stickers is Osborne in Atlanta Ga. He might have I have not looked.

I have never found the right sticker for the valve cover on a 73 California H code.
David -  Here they are from that old thread.

for 1973:

1973 California  Exhaust Emission Control placement.JPG

Fir 1972:

1972 California  Exhaust Emission Control placement.JPG

Ray

It's amazing how far we've come on vehicle emissions levels since '73. Current standards are about a 1/10th those shown for CO and 1/40th ~ 1/50th for NOx and HC.

ZIPNZ,

You have already received great info from everyone, so not a lot to add.

Since all the 73's now had the federally mandated EGR system, the California emissions option was basically a California calibrated carburetor and distributor. Everything else under the hood was basically the same as the 49 State vehicles were equipped. Of course you also received the nice window compliance decal for your trouble.

The deluxe seat belt option was a stand alone option (standard on verts) which included color keyed belt fabric, chrome buckles and upgraded release button appliques on some models. It also included a circular belt warning lamp on the left lower section of the dashboard.  The 71's and 72's built up until 12/1/71 had this system.  Several safety and emissions related laws were taking  effect the 1st of January 1972. So starting 12/1/71 Ford starting producing  all 72  cars with the new Federally mandated belt warning system with a passenger side mounted warning lamp and buzzer system. This system remained unchanged for the 73 production year. The deluxe seat belt option remained but only included the upgraded belts since the lamp/ buzzer system was now standard on all car lines.

Are the belts you posted a picture of some that you are considering buying or already have? The part number on the box indicates a seat belt assembly for a 72 Maverick built before 12/1/71. So those should not have any of the electrical wire/connectors for the warning system. If just using for the shoulder harness should be about the same as the Mustang since the mounting point in the roof and distance to the lap belt should be close to the same dimension for both cars.   :)

ZIPNZ,

You have already received great info from everyone, so not a lot to add.

Since all the 73's now had the federally mandated EGR system, the California emissions option was basically a California calibrated carburetor and distributor. Everything else under the hood was basically the same as the 49 State vehicles were equipped. Of course you also received the nice window compliance decal for your trouble.

The deluxe seat belt option was a stand alone option (standard on verts) which included color keyed belt fabric, chrome buckles and upgraded release button appliques on some models. It also included a circular belt warning lamp on the left lower section of the dashboard.  The 71's and 72's built up until 12/1/71 had this system.  Several safety and emissions related laws were taking  effect the 1st of January 1972. So starting 12/1/71 Ford starting producing  all 72  cars with the new Federally mandated belt warning system with a passenger side mounted warning lamp and buzzer system. This system remained unchanged for the 73 production year. The deluxe seat belt option remained but only included the upgraded belts since the lamp/ buzzer system was now standard on all car lines.

Are the belts you posted a picture of some that you are considering buying or already have? The part number on the box indicates a seat belt assembly for a 72 Maverick built before 12/1/71. So those should not have any of the electrical wire/connectors for the warning system. If just using for the shoulder harness should be about the same as the Mustang since the mounting point in the roof and distance to the lap belt should be close to the same dimension for both cars.   :)

Hi Steve, yes all 4 lap belts were still intact on my car. I just needed to source the matching ginger shoulder belts. You are correct, the belt assy in the picture was not specifically for a mustang however, the shoulder belts that came with it are identical to some black mustang shoulder belts that I had laying around.

i saw the USAF wings in your sig. You Air Force?

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
Back