Original Engine Block for 186101

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't get that vibe from him. Since my J-code's original engine is long gone I keep my eyes open anytime I see somebody advertising an SCJ engine for sale.

I had to send him some pics of where the VIN was and what it meant. He said it came out of silver four speed car...

-Matt

Matt, if you really want to replace your J code motor and this guy seems legit and his price is fair, I'd say buy it. It's probably going to need a rebuild or at least stripping and new seals and gaskets, so take that into account. That's just my thoughts on it.

A few years back, there was a guy in Windsor advertising a  '71 429 complete, for 1200 bucks Cad. I didn't have that extra cash at the time or I'd have grabbed it for my car. 

I was told by Harrah's car museum in Reno that if you had and engine with VIN# stamped and someone came in with the title they could take it, lol. I was trying to sell them a Kaiser Darrin back in the 70's when they were still open. They would not buy a non matching numbers car.....
A guy here that got a great deal on a prototype Boss 429 because it was not numbers matching. Couple years after he got the car he got a call. Someone had went to the Boss register and looked him up. He had his original engine. Which he bought back and shot the price of his car way up in price.
He said back when new Ford got lots of complaints about the performance of the cars, they were dogs. 13 seconds in  quarter mile can be done with a 289. So if you complained Ford would have the dealer pull the engine and sent to Holman & Moody to be spiced up some. They did not keep the engines going back to the original chassis so they got mixed up. The first 50 Boss cars had magnesium valve covers and had build sheets with 428 CJ and 429 Boss.
So you might check the 429 register to see if that number pops up.

Geoff- I have something in the works for the car based on parts I already had. The block is the right casting number and date range, it just has a Torino partial VIN on it. I know the odds of actually finding the right block are stupid, but then I think that it doesn't hurt to ask right?

David- I hope that Harrah's story is a fairy tale, that would be horrible!

Geoff- I have something in the works for the car based on parts I already had. The block is the right casting number and date range, it just has a Torino partial VIN on it. I know the odds of actually finding the right block are stupid, but then I think that it doesn't hurt to ask right?

David- I hope that Harrah's story is a fairy tale, that would be horrible!
 Matt, I assumed being as the number starts with a "1", it was Mustang. Mine is 1f1777XX. I had a 351 C "J" block that was 1f5XXXXX and I knew it wasn't out of a Mustang, I think it was a Cougar block. You're right though, doesn't hurt to ask. Good luck with your car.

The first character is model year, next letter is assembly plant and then the partial.

For cases where multiple vehicles are on the same platform at the same plant, Ford partials start with a '1' and Mercury partials start with a '5'.

The first character is model year, next letter is assembly plant and then the partial.

For cases where multiple vehicles are on the same platform at the same plant, Ford partials start with a '1' and Mercury partials start with a '5'.
 Yes I do know the year and plant and thanks for reminding me about the Mercury's starting with a 5. I was pretty sure the block I had came from a Cougar. Actually, I wish I'd kept that block, but because it had the rear oil drain holes, I was led to believe it was not a good option. I sold it for a 100 bucks!

Well, sounds like b.s. since  steel cranks came only on boss 429`s

Back